Has anyone come up with a system where you don't need to find an outlet ?

Rory375

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a practical solution to charging an e-bike without getting to a plug or outlet, say in the case of a long trek lasting a couple of days ....whereby you could have a spare battery charging while the other is being used via solar or some other system or are we a long way away from that still ?

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a practical solution to charging an e-bike without getting to a plug or outlet, say in the case of a long trek lasting a couple of days ....whereby you could have a spare battery charging while the other is being used via solar or some other system or are we a long way away from that still ?

Eli Smith is crossing the US on a Pedego Stretch to raise awareness of PTSD. He started riding an electric bike due to difficulty walking due to back injuries (he did the first part of the trip on foot). He carries spare batteries, and rides a cargo bike.
Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 7.36.25 AM.png
I think Eli has a lot he can teach anyone about long-distance travel on an ebike! He is on his second bike (his first one was a different brand and didn't hold up). The way he packs his stuff has changed a lot if you look at his pictures (he just got custom boxes made for his bike, though they aren't in this picture, I don't think).
Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 7.41.44 AM.png
If you're interested in Eli's trip and cycling experience, you can learn more, here:
https://www.facebook.com/eli.smith

Specialized engineers cooperated on this project to charge directly without an inverter. That’s why we haven’t seen this again for the proprietary systems. Marketing stunt.

If you have a Bosch, Yamaha, etc system, you are stuck with solar-battery-inverter. One fellow here uses a gas-powered generator, but that’s heavy.

Google “Sun Trip Jack Butler” to look at a more open/efficient system using a Bafang motor and em3ev batteries.

If you're willing to camp every other day and pursue your other hobbies of landscape painting, writing, or playing music, you could pull out your solar panels, spread them out flat and recharge your batteries.

Otherwise, you need a big rig to charge on the run.

And it's not so hard to skip the charger/inverter and have a circuit that takes power right from the panels to the battery. Can't be wasting power.

I'm sure solar charging systems and battery technology will improve in the future. Until it does, IMO, the time & $$ are better put into carrying spare batteries. I have a rig for my bike to carry 2 spares. I can easily get 50 miles per battery which gives me a range of 150 miles. For me anyway, that is more than I could hope to ride in a day. Overnight charging via a generator if off the grid or a hotel room outlet is my approach.

I did see a rig one cross country biker made where he charged a battery while riding with a small gas generator. He had it mounted on a small trailer he pulled with his ebike. At first It seemed silly not to use the gas engine to power the bike directly but then it would become a motor vehicle. Clever way to skirt the law.

If you're willing to camp every other day and pursue your other hobbies of landscape painting, writing, or playing music, you could pull out your solar panels, spread them out flat and recharge your batteries.

Otherwise, you need a big rig to charge on the run.

And it's not so hard to skip the charger/inverter and have a circuit that takes power right from the panels to the battery. Can't be wasting power.

https://www.altestore.com/store/cha...40-solar-charge-controller-40a-122448v-p2070/

https://www.amazon.com/Mabelstar-Solar-Charge-Controller-Display/dp/B01GEQCU9C

...you could have a spare battery charging while the other is being used via solar or some other system or are we a long way away from that still ?
A long way away still.

100W panel is pretty large for a bicycle unless you haul a cargo trailer, and still needs all day in a good sun to put 500 WH in the battery. No major breaks-through are expected in watts per sq.ft.

There are some $$ folding solar arrays, made of thin panels covered with clear plastic (regular panel is glass on alum. frame), held together with fabric pieces, very expensive and I am skeptical about plastic cover, and you still need to camp all day after you've unfolded it, and pray that it will be a sunny day. Solar still works under heavy clouds, but the efficiency drops to 10-15% of normal.

Back