haibike xduro allmtn rx 2016 - what size?

My friend told me that if your in-between sizes you should go for the smaller one, hmmmm
I would tend to agree with that statement, as I think it's easier to make a smaller bike fit bigger via adjustments to stem, bar and saddle, than it is to make a large bike fit smaller. That said I wouldn't presume to advise you on the right size bike for you. If I lived within 50 miles or so from Eddie, I would take him up on his offer of test rides and his MTB advise.

Hi Eddie,
i live near Ashford, Kent and cycle around the country lanes, Kings Wood, Byroads and Bedgebury on occasions. I rang Gary at Wildcycles, Tunbridge Wells who i had a bike fit from over a years ago, unfortunately he had lost my data (as i did), but went through my height, inside leg, reach etc. He said that the 46cm would be a better fit than the 42cm in particular for my body length. Most men appear to have shorter legs and longer bodies. He said for the type of riding i do i may be a little too upright on a 42cm and this frame is usually for guys with a very max inside leg length of 28in.

Decision made, as Gary knows his stuff ex pro with near 30 years experience, 46cm it is.

Do you cycle at any of these places?

Claire at Wildside is brilliant as well. She really knows her stuff when it comes to bike fitting. :) I was going to buy a Genesis Croix de fer from them a couple of years ago, and she spent a lot of time ensuring that everything was just so. Sadly a knee injury put pay to that plan.

I haven't heard of the first two places, and have yet to ride at Bedgebury, despite it being pretty much on my doorstep. I have an idea that you can try Haibikes there, and that could well be worth investigating.

I tend to ride either locally to me, or on the South Downs. I spend quite a lot of time down there. :) I also do the odd ride on the Surrey Hills and around the Biggin Hill area.
I ride three to four evenings a week, all year round and in any weather, plus on either a Sat or Sun. I rode a couple of nights ago, and just thought, I've really had enough of this mud now. I don't ever recall thinking like that before, but this winter has dragged on far too long, and has taken it's toll on the full suspension bike, in respect of suspension bushes etc.
My last service included new bushes, new cables, new C&S, new headset bearings, and new pads. Okay I eat pads and chains at quite a rate and accept the cost that parts like that incur, but I could do without the added hassle of everything else. I've even had to replace the CTD front lock out cables on both bikes.

I'm actually taking delivery a new KTM hardtail emtb this week, so at least I won't have to be wrecking the suspension all the time on the other bike. I actually have a real love of hardtail mtb's and this bike is going to getting a lot of use.

Last edited:
Decision made, as Gary knows his stuff ex pro with near 30 years experience, 46cm it is.
Good for you! Congratulations! Don't forget us when you get your bike, we want some good stories and pictures, as we're simple folk and like pictures!

I'll definitely keep in touch on forum thanks. Sounds like Eddie doesn't even need an e-bike going out that often. I manage to get out over winter but only get in about 30 miles a week. Over summer i try harder and manage about 100 miles a week. I do some bike packing overnight trips which is fun. I'm hoping the new bike will inspire me to get out more. I honestly think eco mode will be fine for me with the odd blast on turbo.
I know the south downs, but ride the north downs due to where i live. Heard a lot about Surrey hills but never been.

How many miles average do you guys manage per battery charge (rough idea would be good). As i said i think eco mode would be fine for me as already manage hills, all be it slowly.

Range is a tough one to answer. It is very much dependent upon terrain and conditions. I've flattened a battery in just 10.9 miles using a mix of tour and sport, but the elevation gain was 6,362'.
An average 30 mile ride on the SD with say an elevation gain of roughly 4,000' would see a battery done in. That is also with the ride being ridden in no assist, eco and tour. I never tend to use sport or turbo.
Conditions were bad a couple of weeks ago and on that occasion, I used two batteries in roughly 35 miles.

My main battery is getting tired now though,and I'm lucky to get about 20 miles out of it.

Anothet point of note, which has had a massive influence on range, is my very aggressive choice of tyre. I run Hutchinson DZO tyres, and I can barely pedal bike once the cut off point is reached. They have had a big impact on the bikes range.

As for not needing the bike, I do tend to mix riding with my KTM Ultra 1964 pedal mtb. Sadly I suffer from muscle wastage in my legs, which puts strain on my knees.

Hopefully there aren't too many mistakes above. I'm using my phone, and for some reason, can't see to edit.

Wow those dzo tires are crazy aggressive! Look like they'd roll about as easy as my fat tire bike at 7psi, haha.

Martin, your bike looks great and i ride with some people who have plenty more curves and can beat the slimmest a guys on hills, how do they do that?

Thanks for the complements, Steve. Sounds like you went with the 46cm. I think it'll be perfect for you. My dealer didn't have the 42cm, but when I sat on the 46cm bike, I knew it felt right.

Hope you get the Allmtn very dirty. It's not meant to be a beauty queen.

Mike

Eddie,

My rides tend to be about 20 miles, and about 1000 feet of climbing, so I recon battery will be more then fine on eco mode. My only problem will be when I do a bike packing ride with an overnight camp, this usually works out about 60 miles. I've either got to really tease battery, find a electric source or buy another battery (very expensive option). Hoping battery will be fine for a year or two cycling. I do about 2,500 miles a year., but this may go up.

I'm hoping this will be my permanent all year mtb and get rid of the Cannondale Scalpel. I still have my road bike, not considered electric road bike yet as I do about 60 mile rides no this with club. Not sure they will be happy with me going on an e-bike :)

Two bikes for me is more then enough, I get a little lazy on cleaning them and general maintenance

Depending upon terrain and conditions, you might still be fine with that kind of mileage.

I'm guessing that your choice of bike will come with a 500wh battery instead of the 400wh that I currently have. There have been changes in how my CX powered 500wh bike is being delivered to me this week, but I by the end of next week I should have had a chance to try a few range tests.

You could switch to a more road biased tyre, with higher tyre pressures for the back packing rides. In my case, that would be where my biggest gain would come from.

I tend to get more mileage out of the bike when I'm cycling with riders that are on pedal bikes. The main reason being that the bike is either in no assist, or eco. I guess that I am perhaps more lazy when I'm on my own, although the speed is also considerably faster, so who knows.

Good point. I'll change tyres to high rolling ones and tubeless. I'm terrible with bikes as usually end up upgrading wheels, bars etc. Let you know how i get on.

My current fs mtb weighs in at 23b, so i'm hoping eco mode will more than compensate for weight gain. i can't believe how expensive the spare batteries are though. Must be a better deal out there. should also mention i'm deregulating mine.

Back