Haibike SDURO Cross 4.0 for hills?

mdmtnwmn

Still researching ebikes for daughter at school in long, steep hills upstate NY. Had been seriously looking at the Yamaha Cross Connect/Core, Trek DualSport+, and Gazelle CityZen - primarily for price, weight, motor/battery, and range among other things. Recently though looked at a used (550 miles) 2018 Haibike SDURO Cross 4.0 the owner is selling for $1200 with rear rack, saddle bags, mirror, and whole-bike cover. He and his wife switched to fat-tire bikes to enable heavy duty winter riding. The size is right, price is right (I think? - maybe offer a little less?), it's lightweight at 48 pounds, and with the Yamaha PW SE, this bike has the torque and range we've been looking for. Not sure about the 400W Yamaha battery, though. Will it be strong enough to assist up those long hills and maintain some range - say, up to 25 miles? Owner says "yes," but he's been using it in town with only short, steep hills. Is it worth the extra money to buy one of the other models new? Or is this a good deal we should jump on? Thoughts?

I have a 2016 Haibike SDURO AllMtn with the Yamaha PW motor and 400W Yamaha battery. When the bike was new my range was about 40 miles of mixed terrain, now it's about 36 miles, after three years of riding, with the assist level on HIGH. No problem with long hills. You should be able to get 25 miles of range even when most of the ride is uphill, I would think.

In any case, it seems that the used bike you are looking at is being offered at a very reasonable price, specially since it only has 550 miles. The only question is whether the battery is in good condition. While there are no guarantees, if the battery at full charge measures 41 volts or better, it would be an indication that it is good.

I believe Yamaha now offers a 500W battery, but replacement Yamaha batteries are very expensive.

Back