Grin Satiator

This is a custom profile to get 80% charge on the 52v 19.2aH battery. The Satiator closest preset is 85% I think 56.6v.

That makes sense though I wonder if they could've compensated for that somehow with some programming.
I'd bet on Grin having a decent way of metering. I think your Fluke will be the most accurate. Which is why I always follow with a multimeter. A very good meter.

I’d trust the Grin over the display. My Satiator only seems to show the pack voltage right when I plug it in but before it starts charging.

I use a Satiator, I have 10ah 48v and 52v batteries. But also because I like to support Grin in general as they are a first class operation run by decent honest young people that are about sharing their wealth of information freely. I don't mess around with percentages though, just charge em' full blast til full and use them down to the cutoff sometimes but not always. I don't store them full though for any length of time.

I am about to switch to a 15ah 2170 battery here soon though and I will set a function that percentageizes it because quite frankly my rides are primarily in the 30-35 mile range and so 520wh's is enough for that. The Satiator will come in handy for that. But some rides I have in mind that expand my current horizons will take the whole 15ah's so it will be good to have for range extension.

Attachments

• 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 901
I use a Satiator, I have 10ah 48v and 52v batteries. But also because I like to support Grin in general as they are a first class operation run by decent honest young people that are about sharing their wealth of information freely. I don't mess around with percentages though, just charge em' full blast til full and use them down to the cutoff sometimes but not always. I don't store them full though for any length of time.

I am about to switch to a 15ah 2170 battery here soon though and I will set a function that percentageizes it because quite frankly my rides are primarily in the 30-35 mile range and so 520wh's is enough for that. The Satiator will come in handy for that. But some rides I have in mind that expand my current horizons will take the whole 15ah's so it will be good to have for range extension.

I agree about Grin, I've toured around their place on Powel Street a few times and it's like going to ebike heaven. Without a doubt they are the smartest guys in ebiking.

Reactions: JRA

I wish I had your aplomb at spelling out the logic. Well said!

Last edited:
I don't see that charger as an option to buy on the Juiced website. How did you order it? Seems they only have 48v batts in stock. Where are you seeing these products to order them?
Ordered it directly from Grin. Juiced used to sell it ( at least the 48-V dc version, but they seem to be casting about for another solution.
If you read the manual carefully and configure correctly for your battery pack and level of charge, it should work great. You do need the 72-V version for Juiced’s nominal 52-V battery, as a full charge takes it to over 57 V dc.

Ordered it directly from Grin. Juiced used to sell it ( at least the 48-V dc version, but they seem to be casting about for another solution.
If you read the manual carefully and configure correctly for your battery pack and level of charge, it should work great. You do need the 72-V version for Juiced’s nominal 52-V battery, as a full charge takes it to over 57 V dc.
A 48V standard Satiator covers 24-52V batteries. Topped off a 52V is 58.8. You're good to 63V with a 48V satiator. Cut and paste from Grin below...
Congratulations on making a great decision and purchase. My only fear with the specs is the ability to charge at higher rates, up to 8A. Not many batteries are capable.

Standard 48V 8A Satiator

Cycle Satiator Universal Programmable Battery Charger for 24V-52V Nominal Batteries, 63V 8A Max Output

Last edited:
Reactions: JRA
Any opinions on this charger? Charges to 85% which seems ideal. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

No. The 85% being referred to is the efficiency of the battery charger. In other words the charger is only delivering 85% of the power it is drawing from the wall outlet under full load. The battery will still reach 100% charge eventually as the charger itself has no programmable cutoff settings like the Grin Satiator.

A 48V standard Satiator covers 24-52V batteries. Topped off a 52V is 58.8. You're good to 63V with a 48V satiator. Cut and paste from Grin below...
Congratulations on making a great decision and purchase. My only fear with the specs is the ability to charge at higher rates, up to 8A. Not many batteries are capable.

Standard 48V 8A Satiator

Cycle Satiator Universal Programmable Battery Charger for 24V-52V Nominal Batteries, 63V 8A Max Output
I stand corrected. Thanks!
Bruce

Reviving an semi-old thread because I finally got a Satiator 72v in anticipation of my Scorpion. Does anyone have a link, or know what adapter I need, to charge my older 48v crosscurrent S battery?

I'm guessing this one but I just want to make sure on that the barrel connector specs are right for Juiced batteries.

Last edited:
Reviving an semi-old thread because I finally got a Satiator 72v in anticipation of my Scorpion. Does anyone have a link, or know what adapter I need, to charge my older 48v crosscurrent S battery?
What is the connector on your OEM charger? It looks like a 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC coaxial.

NOT A CONNECTOR FOR USE OVER 2A.
There are versions rated to 6A, but the typical China batteries and chargers are 2A MAX.

I make my own but never charge over 2A.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, https://www.impulseelectronics.com/dc-power-cable-2-1mm-x-5-5mm-plug-to-powerpole-16-ga/

From the Juiced listing.
Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 11.35.32 AM.png

Damn, I was hoping this would be easy. Unfortunately, it doesn't say the size of the adapter sticker.
Post a good photo. I'm curious, why the 72v, and not the 36v, 48v, and 52V version?
Did your charger come with Anderson Powerpoles?

I'm not with the bike at the moment but on this page it says DC2.1 charging port. I'm assuming that means 2.1mm

Then Grin's XLR-DC2.5 states: "Fits 5.5 x 2.5mm and 5.5 x 2.1mm DC Jacks"

I emailed juiced and they weren't very helpful. I sent an email to Grin last night and waiting on a response.

I'm not with the bike at the moment but on this page it says DC2.1 charging port. I'm assuming that means 2.1mm

I emailed juiced and they weren't very helpful. I sent an email to Grin last night and waiting on a response.
That is the correct adapter.

Please read Grins description. As I earlier stated the 78v, in my experience isn’t the charger Juiced should be selling for their battery charge ports. 2A -3A is the highest day rate. In my not so humble opinion.

The DC barrel connector has been a standard for powering electronic devices with low voltage DC in consumer electronics, and has found its way as a commonly used plug for the charging port of frame mounted ebike batteries. We have also been using it for many years as the DC power port on the Cycle Analyst for running ebike lights, DC-DC converters, and other accessories.
These DC jack plugs are not usually rated for very high currents, and their design makes it easy to accidentally short the pin and ground tabs with a piece of metal. There are some models that have a multi-prong ground connection and are rated for up to 7 amps, but most of the models are only good for 2-4 amps. This is especially true if the mating contact to the ground sheath is just a single bent metal tab.
The low current rating and vulnerability to shorts make them far from ideal for use as the charge port in an ebike battery pack, but for better or for worse this is a common connector that is in many battery enclosures. Be aware that polarity can vary from device to device and DC plugs are specified by both the diameter of the barrel (OD) and pin (ID). The standard size used in ebikes has a 5.5mm barrel, but the pin can be either 2.5mm (most common) or a smaller 2.1mm (less common).

Juiced didn't sell me the Satiator, I had mentioned I had ordered it for the Scorpion which comes with the XLR connector. I am just trying to make it work for both bikes. The Grin Satiator isn't 72v only. It can charge any battery 36V to 103V so I bought it for future proofing.

I will make sure to only max out at 3A on the older bike. The juiced OEM charger is 2A and I also have the Luna Cycle one which is 3A.

This is the Satiator I bought:

Juiced didn't sell me the Satiator, I had mentioned I had ordered it for the Scorpion which comes with the XLR connector. I am just trying to make it work for both bikes. The Grin Satiator isn't 72v only, that is just the max it supports. It has a 36 - 72v range and I bought it for future proofing.

I will make sure to only max out at 3A on the older bike. The juiced OEM charger is 2A and I also have the Luna Cycle one which is 3A.
While I don’t see ever moving to 60v or higher as I view them as pushing safe limits. Especially with budget batteries. I’ve not seen a juiced pack reveal, I have seen the other. If a shark or similar pack they are typically China low budget.

Back