Greetings.I am new to all this,so i need a little help.I wnted to buy rear hub conversion kit,but i heard that the wheel dimension i have 37-590(26x1

Martin T.

Greetings.I am new to all this,so i need a little help.I wanted ti buy rear hub conversion kit,but i heard that the wheel dimension i have 37-590(36x1 3/8)are no longer made.Is that true?So i started thinking about mid drive.Can you tell me if a 36v 250w motor could drive on city hills (approximately 30-45 degrees)specifically Tongseng TSDZ2 and how powerful battery would i need for 30-40km?Another question.I saw a bike with a 250w Bafang max drive mid motor.Does it have a torque sensor and is it good?Thanks in advance and best regards from Serbija.

The 590/26 inch wheel diameter are available here in the States as are the 37/1-3/8 inch tires. Finding an electric hub drive in this size is another issue. You may need to buy just the hub motor and lace it into your existing wheel. I've found ekikes.ca to be a reliable supplier for the components you'd need for this.

I have a 250W mid-drive ebike. The motor will develop 90Nm of torque and over 600W peak. I have climbed one hill that was signed as 31% slope (17 degrees), though it was just a short section of he hill. I was able to finish the climb, but in the lowest gear and standing on the pedals. I wouldn't do this daily and I wouldn't try anything steeper, certainly not 45 degrees.

0629201247_Film1.jpg

I'd suggest that you take a look at the Motor Simulator that ebikes.ca offers. This should help select motors that can actually climb your city hills.

As to the Bafang mid-dive, I'm not that familiar with them, but the online specs do reference torque sensing. I can't speak to their quality or reliability.

The 590/26 inch wheel diameter are available here in the States as are the 37/1-3/8 inch tires. Finding an electric hub drive in this size is another issue. You may need to buy just the hub motor and lace it into your existing wheel. I've found ekikes.ca to be a reliable supplier for the components you'd need for this.

I have a 250W mid-drive ebike. The motor will develop 90Nm of torque and over 600W peak. I have climbed one hill that was signed as 31% slope (17 degrees), though it was just a short section of he hill. I was able to finish the climb, but in the lowest gear and standing on the pedals. I wouldn't do this daily and I wouldn't try anything steeper, certainly not 45 degrees.

View attachment 63909

I'd suggest that you take a look at the Motor Simulator that ebikes.ca offers. This should help select motors that can actually climb your city hills.

As to the Bafang mid-dive, I'm not that familiar with them, but the online specs do reference torque sensing. I can't speak to their quality or reliability.
Thanks a lot

Greetings.I am new to all this,so i need a little help.I wanted ti buy rear hub conversion kit,but i heard that the wheel dimension i have 37-590(36x1 3/8)are no longer made.Is that true?

Hello and welcome. Wheel/tire size aside, I think a bigger issue is that your bicycle likely has relatively weak brakes, especially if they are side pull brakes. Also, rims of that size are typically low quality, which hampers braking power even more.

So i started thinking about mid drive.Can you tell me if a 36v 250w motor could drive on city hills (approximately 30-45 degrees)specifically Tongseng TSDZ2 and how powerful battery would i need for 30-40km?Another question.I saw a bike with a 250w Bafang max drive mid motor.Does it have a torque sensor and is it good?Thanks in advance and best regards from Serbija.

Can you provide a photo of your bike? There could be other issues with fitting a motor. It really depends on the bottom bracket and hub spacing of the frame.

No torque sensing with Bafang mids drives. TongSheng didn't impress me. I gave the TSDZ2 bike away to a less fortunate friend.

You mentioned TSDZ2, a kit motor. I perhaps was mistaken and assumed you were looking at mid drive kits. But now you post a photo of an OEM bike with the newest Bafang motors. Pretty much unobtanium for DIY kitting.

You mentioned TSDZ2, a kit motor. I perhaps was mistaken and assumed you were looking at mid drive kits. But now you post a photo of an OEM bike with the newest Bafang motors. Pretty much unobtanium for DIY kitting.
I olso considered this option.This used bike costs 690 USD,and the kit motor with battery via AliExpress(with customs and duties)costs abaut 980 USD.

If you have a lot of steep hills and that will be a major part of your rides a mid drive is probably better. Hub motors have trouble on steep hills take low gears and a lot of pedaling. Although to some degree it may vary on hub motors depending on the windings of the motor.

If you have a lot of steep hills and that will be a major part of your rides a mid drive is probably better. Hub motors have trouble on steep hills take low gears and a lot of pedaling. Although to some degree it may vary on hub motors depending on the windings of the motor.
Yes,but which one?Bafang or Tongsheng TSDZ2?I know that one has a cadence sistem ahd the other torque,but which one is better(in terms of relability)?

Hello and welcome. Wheel/tire size aside, I think a bigger issue is that your bicycle likely has relatively weak brakes, especially if they are side pull brakes. Also, rims of that size are typically low quality, which hampers braking power even more.

Can you provide a photo of your bike? There could be other issues with fitting a motor. It really depends on the bottom bracket and hub spacing of the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_170449.jpg
    IMG_20200831_170449.jpg
    909.2 KB · Views: 307
Thank you for sharing a photo. It is much more modern than I would have thought. It should be possible to fit either a hub motor as the bike likely has more modern 135mm O.L.D., or a mid-drive as it has a "standard" threaded bottom bracket shell. The inclusion of linear pull brakes and aluminum rims is also good.

As mentioned previously, the caveat to fitting a hub motor is that you would have to custom build a wheel, as I doubt anyone offers a hub motor with an ISO 590 rim.

Yes,but which one?Bafang or Tongsheng TSDZ2?I know that one has a cadence sistem ahd the other torque,but which one is better(in terms of relability)?
Regardless of reliability, I don't believe either of these motors can deliver enough torque to climb your city hills (30-45 degrees). The Bafabg BBS02 750W motor might be able to do this climb if you are fairly strong.

I've never owned a bike that has a Bafang motor, but the Best Electric Bikes of 2020 reviews named the DOST DROP the best value Commuting Electric Bike. This ebike is equipped with the Bafang BBS02 motor. I don't see the TSDZ2 used in any of the other bikes on this list.

This 5-year old review of the Bafang BBS02 speaks highly of the conversion kit with this motor.

I apologize. I didn’t intend to be terse. Online reviews can be cherry picked and spread miss information.

That’s obvious. Either choice will be capable.
Let's all be nice, but I respectively disagree. The rider is going to have a challenge on the OP's city hills of 30-45 degrees (58% to 100%) slopes with either motor discussed in the OP's original post based as I mentioned in #2 above based both on my personal experience with a mid-drive with similar torque and power to the 250W Bafang. This is confirmed in Grin's Motor Simulator as far as motor specs are available. I have used this simulator for other hub drive motors that I installed in DIY conversions with performance results that closely matched the simulator's calcs.

Back