New Rear hub 500 watts kit issues (squeaking)

Plasma4781

Region
Canada
Hello all,
I bought on AliExpress a Bafang 500Watts 48v rear hub kit. Upon receiving it, the motor would squeak from within, only in freewheel.
I thought it was not a big deal and installed it anyway, but informed the seller of the issue right away.
The battery connector is also broken, as you'll see in the pictures below.

here's a video of the mounted wheel:

The seller asked for a dismounted video, so I shot this, where the squeak can also be heard.

Now, they said that this could be some wear (on a new product ??), and asked me to open the motor hub and send them pictures, which I'm about to do.
Though, I'm questioning whether the internal motor is indeed what I ordered and before communicating with the seller, I'd like your input on this:
  • The housing model number is RM G020.500.DC
  • The clutch has a model number BFRM G020 350 D
Maybe the clutch is a generic one, designed to be used on 250, 350 and 500 watts motors, still I'm concerned, and I can't find the diagrams for the motor internals anywhere, with part number and such.

So here are my questions:
  • Do you think I've been scammed, being sold an advertised 500 watts motor while internally being a 350 watts?
  • In your opinion, where would the squeak come from ? Is it concerning? Replacing the motor in it's housing, I could not hear the squeak any longer...
  • Upon reassembling the motor, can I place some white grease I have on the planetary gears?
  • The battery connector is to be replaced, right? (seller accept to send another one but with a $10 shipping fee)
You can find all the pictures I took in this imgur thread (drove 40km with it):
Thanks for your input !
Cheers

the clutch is a generic one,
yes it's generic. The motor shell is clearly marked 500W from the factory.
can I place some white grease I have on the planetary gears?
Typically they have used white LITHIUM grease. Your link doesn't say what sort of grease you have. Incompatible grease CAN be a problem.
MotoMasterwhite grease 028-0806-0 is labeled for metals and has no mention of plastics compatibility. I'd not use it. It could soften the gears.
Do you think I've been scammed,
I don't think so, but who was the reseller? Greenenergy is usually pretty good, but typically they will put buyers through the paces. Believe it or not, n00bs do buy kits, bust things up and then go after the reseller.
Replacing the motor in it's housing, I could not hear the squeak any longer...
Bafang is somewhat notorious for poor lubrication. I'd lube it. Are you saying that once you put it back together the squeaking stopped?

The battery connector is to be replaced, right? (seller accept to send another one but with a $10 shipping fee)

Last edited:
The battery connector is to be replaced, right? (seller accept to send another one but with a $10 shipping fee)
Yes, it should be replaced but unless you can show box damage or some proof it's on them, you've discovered the disadvantage of buying from an Alirexpress reseller. However, if you're timely you should be able to make a claim with Aliexpress, PayPal, or whatever card you used. In the meantime, I'd seal it up on the outside with some silicon or epaxy paste and ride if lubing with silicon and oiling the freewheel quiets all down.

Grin, ebikes.ca in Canada, may have the part you need. Although it appears the 5 pin is now 6 pins and you'd have to replace both sides, or wait for China. https://ebikes.ca/con-dt-silvblt.html
They're all over eBay for about $10

It appears to be what some call a Hailong battery connector.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 1.46.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 1.46.28 PM.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 1.47.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 1.47.44 PM.png
    479.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply @tomjasz I will avoid the white grease I have. I had some lithium grease that I used for my radio-controlled car differential gears, but cannot find it anymore. Any specific grease you'd recommend ?
Regarding the squeak, I have to test further to see if reinserting the motor and closing the seal does indeed solve the issue. However, id like to know where it comes from, so I can lubricate the part.
I'll check with ebikes.ca for parts, though the seller has offered to send a replacement battery connector, for $10 shipping. Though I opened a dispute with Aliexpress and they credited me 5%, so I cannot really complain. I'll see what my options are.

Another question, I ride in the winter, with salty roads, I used some shrinking plastic to further seal the connectors, but what could I do to try to prevent the salty water from coming inside the motor hub?

thanks

Thanks for your reply @tomjasz I will avoid the white grease I have. I had some lithium grease that I used for my radio-controlled car differential gears, but cannot find it anymore. Any specific grease you'd recommend ?
Regarding the squeak, I have to test further to see if reinserting the motor and closing the seal does indeed solve the issue. However, id like to know where it comes from, so I can lubricate the part.
I'll check with ebikes.ca for parts, though the seller has offered to send a replacement battery connector, for $10 shipping. Though I opened a dispute with Aliexpress and they credited me 5%, so I cannot really complain. I'll see what my options are.

Another question, I ride in the winter, with salty roads, I used some shrinking plastic to further seal the connectors, but what could I do to try to prevent the salty water from coming inside the motor hub?

thanks
I use Mobil SCH100 on all plastic gear motors. $29USD on Amazon, but $81CAD. Why that is I have NO idea.
As to water and corrosion, I'm a winter rider in Minnesnowta. Same lousy conditions. I use ACF100 and/or Boeshield. They were designed to protect avionics and aircraft structural parts.

Thanks for your input (and thanks for looking up options for me in Canada) ! The closest Napa store is only 1km away and they only have the Mobil Mobilgrease 28.
Wouldn't the viscosity be a problem with this one, since it's a slightly more fluid grease at NLGI grade 1.5 vs 2 for the other? Won't it spill away in the motor? I guess not adding too much is key here...
Also, can I add some of it between the outer seal and the ball bearing to create a barrier against moisture and salt?

Thanks for your input (and thanks for looking up options for me in Canada) ! The closest Napa store is only 1km away and they only have the Mobil Mobilgrease 28.
Wouldn't the viscosity be a problem with this one, since it's a slightly more fluid grease at NLGI grade 1.5 vs 2 for the other? Won't it spill away in the motor? I guess not adding too much is key here...
Also, can I add some of it between the outer seal and the ball bearing to create a barrier against moisture and salt?
It's not as good as SHC100 but hundreds if not thousands of DIY guys have been using Mobile 28 for a decade on gear drives.

Back