Google maps for cycling

Denis Shelston

Not sure if you have tried using Google Maps bicycle routes.

Well I have and am so darned impressed.

In my neighbourhood there are many paths between homes, in treed areas, in forest here and there. When I use Google maps it will tell me turn right here to reach XyZ street and wonder... where the heck am I going? and sure enough there is path I did not even know existed between homes, a public path or sorts. How did the Google Van find or even identify this path.... Dunno.

I am dumbfounded, this is incredible use of technology.

Just wanted to share this. I had to tell someone :eek:

It is neat they have some sort of pattern matching that can identify trails from satellite photos, but there are limitations as this is machine interpretation. I have noticed parking lots showing up as a mass of bright green paths when they're anything but, also areas that are pedestrian paths with signs posted prohibiting bicycles. If you're signed into Google you can send feedback.

Strava global heatmap shows popular bicycle routes.

Google Maps has shoved Apple Maps into the gutter! And this, from an iPhone user! If you are a cyclist, there is no better {edit: relatively free}maps application than Google. Certainly, Apple has the capability to identify and mark BICYCLE PATHS on their maps, but they have chosen to ignore this data. Screw 'em.

Last edited:
Had to share this app "All Trails" free on Android play store. Where ever you are GPS tells you what is available in the area you are located . hike , bike, what ever. Wait till you see this one. With directions to find the trails.! I met someone riding a secluded trail visiting on a business trip . He said. All Trails App is how he found it. Thanks Denis on Google maps tip. I will check that out .

Last edited:
Google Maps has given me some very good bicycle routes ... and a few genuine stinkers as well.

Had to share this app "All Trails" free on Android play store. Where ever you are GPS tells you what is available in the area you are located . hike , bike, what ever. Wait till you see this one. With directions to find the trails.! I met someone riding a secluded trail visiting on a business trip . He said. All Trails App is how he found it. Thanks Denis on Google maps tip. I will check that out .

Thank you @Robie. I installed All Trails, very nice.

Back