Good Reads for the Season

PedalUma

Region
USA
City
Petaluma, CA
Hi everybody,
This is the place to discuss books. Some books seem more like beach bag reads, other's better for long winter nights. What are you reading? Any recommendations? I am reading a fun one now that is a good fireplace read.

used to like books by Lee Child( consider them a bit childess now like Clive Cusslers work forget stephen king) a little dean koontz(if you like dogs and fairy tales( oth "the taking" was a scary what if) F G HAMILTONs "Repairman Jack" I thought was pretty good if you like Robert Howard then Robert Forwards works are a must read E A Poe,A C Doyle,B STOKER ETC

@kevinmccune,
Based on what you like, you will love 'Ghost Hunters'. The opening story of a drowning is amazing. A. C. Doyle is involved. With the beginnings of radio it was realized that unseen communications from other realms were real. What about faith and sprit can be investigated with science? Does myopic left brained science close the door to seeing the greater truths provided by spiritual intuition? It is also dark, scary, yet uplifting.
1702256287244.jpeg

Have read all of Jo Nesbo's novels, most of then about the Norwegian detective Harry Hole, usually strung out on Jim Beam or heroin. In about a dozen stories, the author has killed off most of the hero's friends, including his wife. On a less dark note, there's John Sanford's cop series,, usually quite funny.

Lee Child's Jack Reacher books are for one long evening.They had gotten stretched because Reacher was born in the early 40's. so he should be 80 by now, too old to be slamming four people at once with his fists, so the latest iteration goes back to when he was in the army. More believeable.

I laugh every week when a new Jimmy Patterson book comes out. Sometimes I'll read one if the ;library has it on Kindle.

Adrian McKinty's books about his catholic inspector cop in Belfast are fun. CJ Box book's about game warden Joe Picket in Wyoming. Craig Johnson's Longmire books. The latest was epic, Mick Herron's SLow House series about failed spies. I guess the last three authors have made it to series on streaming TV, which I've never watched. Incluses the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly., For creepiness, read the John Connolly's series about Charlie Parker, another detective.

Finally, I liked Shantaram, a crazy book about a Western convict in India which apparently half based on real life of the author. Straming on Apple TV, but I'm not signing up to watch,

@kevinmccune,
Based on what you like, you will love 'Ghost Hunters'. The opening story of a drowning is amazing. A. C. Doyle is involved. With the beginnings of radio it was realized that unseen communications from other realms were real. What about faith and sprit can be investigated with science? Does myopic left brained science close the door to seeing the greater truths provided by spiritual intuition? It is also dark, scary, yet uplifting.
View attachment 167870
TO DENY THE UNSEEN REALM IS MADNESS(WHOOPS CAPS JAMMED AGAIN)I have caught glimpses of the "shadow beings" even though they don't seem to be particularly malevolent the creepy feeling of being watched is a bit unerving,the end of the 70 foot house I spend much of my free time in has finally became friendlier to electronic equipment( electronic things do not die as frequently there as they used to, though my cats and grandson can see(and stare at) things in my doorway that I cannot see directly,I just ignore these for the most part,when that"hitchhiker" left me about a week after my Uncles funeral,just really do not pay much attention to these things these days,we have never been told the whole shebang.

Have read all of Jo Nesbo's novels, most of then about the Norwegian detective Harry Hole, usually strung out on Jim Beam or heroin. In about a dozen stories, the author has killed off most of the hero's friends, including his wife. On a less dark note, there's John Sanford's cop series,, usually quite funny.

Lee Child's Jack Reacher books are for one long evening.They had gotten stretched because Reacher was born in the early 40's. so he should be 80 by now, too old to be slamming four people at once with his fists, so the latest iteration goes back to when he was in the army. More believeable.

I laugh every week when a new Jimmy Patterson book comes out. Sometimes I'll read one if the ;library has it on Kindle.

Adrian McKinty's books about his catholic inspector cop in Belfast are fun. CJ Box book's about game warden Joe Picket in Wyoming. Craig Johnson's Longmire books. The latest was epic, Mick Herron's SLow House series about failed spies. I guess the last three authors have made it to series on streaming TV, which I've never watched. Incluses the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly., For creepiness, read the John Connolly's series about Charlie Parker, another detective.

Finally, I liked Shantaram, a crazy book about a Western convict in India which apparently half based on real life of the author. Straming on Apple TV, but I'm not signing up to watch,

JP IS LIKE SK AND CC, using ghost writers and collaboration with increasing frequenscriptcy after awhile you can tell,they may have edited the scrip(they didn't write it)I liked the first Bosch show(none since) wait until AI floods the market. CG and AI may make quantity,they lack depth and colour. ever since I have discovered youtube I just do not have the patience to read and reading apparently helps delay the onset of dementia.

If you like audio books, I am listening to Lauren Grodstein's We Must Not Think of Ourselves, about life in the Warsaw ghetto during the Nazi occupation of Poland. Excellent book, superbly read/performed.

I recently read 'California a History'. It starts at the end of the last Ice Age and fully gives Native, Feminist, African American, Asian, and Workers perspectives. Very well done and the stories are so rich that it is a page turner. It also gives context. There is none of that pre-destination of progress BS. It gives wonderful back stories to the real characters.

1702342803202.jpeg

apparently as has been said[ the victors write the history] so few times you hear about the tragedies and triumphs of the "salt of the earth"( Copeland must of thought of this when he composed"fanfare for the common man") in these parts all the little'hardscrabble farms and homesteads on the ridgetops mostly gone, gobbled up by the ambitious greedy ones and encroaching federal govt( see the history of the "skyline drive".
One can only surmise the real history of an area where the true pioneers and common folk shaped and melded communities only to be forgotten and swallowed by the 'sands of time'.once upon a time before my"epiphany" so to speak,I lusted after progress and the new only to realize too late the value of our history and roots,some parts of this 'late great planet earth" seem to have finally "gotten it" only preparing for the defense never to go " a viking" again. perhaps one day this nation can break its feality to the "god of war" finally realizing Lennons "IM

pontificated only to type in vain as this Chromebook fought me.-'imagine'

Last edited:
Something I learned in that history book was that 2500 years ago the bow, as in bow and arrow, was introduced to the West Coast. The result was several generations of wars between people speaking about 65 languages in California; many of the languages were unrelated. It then settled into a truce because everyone was sick of war. Part of the general understanding is that people should stay in their own areas and only trade with neighbors, respecting the territory of others.

@kevinmccune,
View attachment 167870 Thank you for your advice. I regularly have to deal with many forms of writing. And I came across a letter of recommendation, which was absolutely new to me. I hired writer and got everything done as a consequence. And can you buy a letter of recommendation if you have similar problems.
Simply amazing reading

Last edited:
I mostly read music related books, and my wife loves murder mystery type stuff. Right now I'm reading this book...

Attachments

• 20240116_170908.jpg
    20240116_170908.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 13
I just read a book that is half wonder of creation and half science about animal perception. Fascinating. A bug that can detect a forest fire 80 miles away? Yes. An animal that can tell apart two similar pieces of sand paper from 50 yards at night? Yes. An animal who can tell if a human is newly pregnant at 90 feet? Yes. We see color as a one dimensional triangle with the points representing three colors and the middle area the blends. But some animals can see colors in four dimensions, like a pyramid and all the space within that pyramid. And some humans can too. There is a guy who is blind and can ride a mountain bike on a trail he has never ridden by using echolocation.

The book I am reading now is what I will call Mythological Fan Fiction. It is telling the back story of Achilles. It is very good. The only problem I had was at about 1/4 of the way through I realized that it is homo-erotic. But that is part of ancient Grease. And I overcame that because it is so well written and compelling.

1705445329394.jpeg
1705445383692.jpeg

Simply amazing reading
I had just finished Ghost Hunters when a friend's wife died after a long illness and hospice. I was going to leave it in a book exchange bin at a fruit stand but I saw him first and just handed it to him. It turns out he loved it. And then handed copies out to others.

In late October I read Creative Act then handed it to my much younger friend Bella. She makes lots of crafts, drawings, works with leather and is an amazing cook. She read it and made notes on every page. She promised to give it to a friend when she was done, but couldn't give up her notes, so she had to give him his own copy and now he gave away another new copy. Now she is reading it again. It covers everything from the Stones to Monet. By the way Monet could see in UV in one eye and that is why his water Lilly's glow blue.

1705448037501.jpeg

I just read a book that is half wonder of creation and half science about animal perception. Fascinating. A bug that can detect a forest fire 80 miles away? Yes. An animal that can tell apart two similar pieces of sand paper from 50 yards at night? Yes. An animal who can tell if a human is newly pregnant at 90 feet? Yes. We see color as a one dimensional triangle with the points representing three colors and the middle area the blends. But some animals can see colors in four dimensions, like a pyramid and all the space within that pyramid. And some humans can too. There is a guy who is blind and can ride a mountain bike on a trail he has never ridden by using echolocation.

The book I am reading now is what I will call Mythological Fan Fiction. It is telling the back story of Achilles. It is very good. The only problem I had was at about 1/4 of the way through I realized that it is homo-erotic. But that is part of ancient Grease. And I overcame that because it is so well written and compelling.

View attachment 169789 View attachment 169790to tooAttach files
remember the movie"greece"? no danger we can go too far]

I had just finished Ghost Hunters when a friend's wife died after a long illness and hospice. I was going to leave it in a book exchange bin at a fruit stand but I saw him first and just handed it to him. It turns out he loved it. And then handed copies out to others.

In late October I read Creative Act then handed it to my much younger friend Bella. She makes lots of crafts, drawings, works with leather and is an amazing cook. She read it and made notes on every page. She promised to give it to a friend when she was done, but couldn't give up her notes, so she had to give him his own copy and now he gave away another new copy. Now she is reading it again. It covers everything from the Stones to Monet. By the way Monet could see in UV in one eye and that is why his water Lilly's glow blue.

View attachment 169793g
have always had excellent night vision even as a child see streaks of light from bright objects at night now its really distracting.green is my favorite color,what color has the most shades?

The UV spectrum of color blends may have the most shades. Most birds can see it and probably dinosaurs did. Many birds and butterflies are colored in ways that we cannot see. Males and females can look the same to us but are distinct to them. Some flowers have big glowing targets that we can't see. This is all in 'An Immense World'. I wish that religious fundamentalists world wide would read it to gain a deeper appreciation of the wonders of all creation and how very narrow our own perceptions are.

Back