Goggles that fit over eyeglasses?

The Polar Optics would probably be exactly what I need, but it's heavily tinted and I need a clear lens. I've got a pair of goggles coming today, so maybe....

Basecamp make a clear magnetic visor designed as a replacement for their helmet, you could try using this with your own stick on magnets or like the Polar Optics affix a strip of velcro.

I have been using this for a few years with my glasses. Works great! Inexpensive (approx. US$20 off ebay). My glasses are fairly low profile, so your mileage may vary.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GUB-K80-Riding-Helmets-Helmets-Glasses-Mountain-Bike-Goggles-Safety-Helmet-MO/112914502274?hash=item1a4a3a9282:g:MvUAAOSw629axLNx&var=413307476188

s-l1600.jpg

The Polar Optics would probably be exactly what I need ....
Hmm, that surprises me, but perhaps I misinterpreted what you meant by "cold weather." Up here I'm sometimes biking in freezing (below zero) temperatures (below zero celsius ... we also get plenty of below-zero Fahrenheit weather here, but I'm too big a wuss to go biking in that!)

I wear the glasses/goggle I linked when it gets below maybe 50 degrees Fahrenheit (which is the case here for an early morning commute for about half the year ... we're supposed to have an overnight low of 52 on Thursday).

I have been using this for a few years with my glasses. Works great! Inexpensive (approx. US$20 off ebay). My glasses are fairly low profile, so your mileage may vary.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GUB-K80-Riding-Helmets-Helmets-Glasses-Mountain-Bike-Goggles-Safety-Helmet-MO/112914502274?hash=item1a4a3a9282:g:MvUAAOSw629axLNx&var=413307476188

Ugh, this I think would be ideal if it wasn't tinted. Doesn't seem to come in a clear model. Half the year I'm riding to work in the dark. I got another pair of goggles in the mail today, and they don't work well with a helmet, and they don't accommodate even my relatively small frame all that well. So I bought a pair of $10 over-glasses safety goggles at Home Depot. Surprisingly, they have a much lower profile (i.e., top to bottom) then anything I've found so far. It might do the trick, but the lens you linked to would probably be the best option.

Hmm, that surprises me, but perhaps I misinterpreted what you meant by "cold weather." Up here I'm sometimes biking in freezing (below zero) temperatures (below zero celsius ... we also get plenty of below-zero Fahrenheit weather here, but I'm too big a wuss to go biking in that!)

I wear the glasses/goggle I linked when it gets below maybe 50 degrees Fahrenheit (which is the case here for an early morning commute for about half the year ... we're supposed to have an overnight low of 52 on Thursday).

Any time it dips into the low 50s or below of course, my eyes water like crazy. In the 30s, I can barely see at the bottom of the hill, unless I ride the brakes all the way down, which I only do if the street is really slick -- like with wet fallen leaves.

I got into the habit of breathing in with my mouth and exhaling out my nose when temps get near freezing. Exhaling out my nose with body temp warm air really helps snot locker from running. I also wear a balaclava with just cut-outs for my eyes (for my ski goggles). I can just have my nose exposed when I ride on those extremely cold mornings and it stays warm with me just exhaling. My balaclava get full of moisture and starts to freeze if I cover it up.
Exactly what I taught myself when cross-country ski racing. It works, and is good for the sinuses.

If you can afford another set of prescription lenses, consider:
1) Prescription sport glasses
2) Prescription swim goggles
3) Universal lens insert for goggles
thumb.php

And old thread but perhaps worth revisiting it.

I got my first 100% Accuri OTG goggles on November 27th, 2019. Meanwhile, I owned two pairs of them, one lost during the fire of my home (and the other surviving). Now, I have ordered a second pair of Accuri2 OTG, clear lens, blue theme:
1644267807069.png

100percent have been making motocross goggles since 1982, later expanding to MTB and snowmobile market. Could not fail noticing Stefan Peter, the winner of last years Megavalanche MTB Enduro race was wearing 100percent :)

1644268190719.png

As the European site 100% Europe operates from France, it is easy to get the stuff here.
Are the https://100percent.com products available to you outside Europe?

I’ve got a pair of Smith goggles that go over my eye glasses. They are ok but do fog up. After having them on for a while I can feel them making my glasses dig into my head. I think they make goggles that have a slot in the sides to fit around your glasses. I’m lucky I need glasses but see we’ll enough I don’t have a restriction on my drivers license so I often just use the goggles alone.

I use goggles in the cold season to protect my eyes against chilly wind, and to cover the prescription glasses against precipitation.
1644269635974.png

The Accuri's are very comfortable: They do not pinch my nose, are lightweight, have worked with several prescription glasses frames very well. The lens is hydrophobic, so even heavy rain does not obscure my sight. They don't fog! And they sport a wide field of view. I can greatly recommend them!

Last edited:
I have the same problem and used to wear OTG safety glasses over my RX glasses. Tried goggles, but found these to be too bulky for me.

I eventually got a pair of wrap round cycling glasses with prescription inserts. These have totally stopped the eyes from running.

A couple of benefits these have is that they come with four interchangeable lenses.
One clear, one yellow and two polarised shades

DDD1C503-99EB-43E3-9C0A-D25AB9B16F6B.jpeg

Like so many other cycling products, goggles are a personal preference item. What works for some, may not for all, especially for those who wear glasses.

I've tried several brands of the ski type goggles and found they block too much peripheral vision. They also have a bulky feel and with the rear strap, are difficult to remove. I use a large visor on my helmet and can't just raise them out of the way like skiers do. They also fog eventually, even when using anti fog products.

I picked up a pair of these at Home Depot last year to use while plowing snow with my tractor. I decided to give them a try and found they work surprisingly well for cycling too:

They eliminate the tearing problem for me and don't restrict side vision. They fit over my glasses and don't seal to the face so they provide enough air flow to prevent fogging. The attached ear plugs can be used to reduce wind noise but in my case, I cut them off. I rely on my hearing to warn of approaching hazards like cross traffic or other riders. I use these "Cat Ears" to reduce wind noise since they don't cover the ear:

I'll admit, these goggles aren't for everyone but for $11, they may be worth a try.

These worked fine for me. They fit over my glasses but its a near thing. If my glasses had big lenses it wouldn't work.

BUT

These work much better. It so happens my vision is corrected by simple reading glasses. So when riding in daylight conditions I can wear these wraparound shades. They don't make me look like a snowmobiler and they do the job of eliminating tearing perfectly thanks to the unbroken coverage. I keep warm on the rest of my face with balaclavas and watch caps. Also I tape over my helmet vents in the winter.

Last edited:
A lot of knowledge has been accumulating here my question is how do you guys do when there's rain ? you know I need to wear the goggles ; how do you take the water out ? Do you stop and you take the googles out and you clean them or you drive without the glasses ? I personally cannot drive without the glasses .

A lot of knowledge has been accumulating here my question is how do you guys do when there's rain ? you know I need to wear the goggles ; how do you take the water out ? Do you stop and you take the googles out and you clean them or you drive without the glasses ? I personally cannot drive without the glasses .
With the glasses that I use, which have two lenses, rain is not an issue.

The inner lens, which is the polycarbonate prescription insert lens stays dry as it is protected by the outer lens.

The outer lens, which is a plano polycarbonate lens, is the one that’s gets wet. Because this has no optical properties, there is no effect on the vision, no matter how hard the rain is.

This is one of the benefits of a twin lens system.

With the glasses that I use, which have two lenses, rain is not an issue.

The inner lens, which is the polycarbonate prescription insert lens stays dry as it is protected by the outer lens.

The outer lens, which is a plano polycarbonate lens, is the one that’s gets wet. Because this has no optical properties, there is no effect on the vision, no matter how hard the rain is.

This is one of the benefits of a twin lens system.
I tried a visor and in the rain they caused issues at night even worse. I usually found letting my glasses get wet was ok unless I had a night with a lot of glare with the rain. so drops of rain on the lens dont cause issues?

Back