Glad I checked

Nvreloader

Region
USA
Getting everything ready for the 65+ mile, TPT ride: https://tahoepyramidtrail.org/
for the first day, pulled out the self contained battery elect tire pump and found the battery dead. Charged the 4 hrs as per instructions and it still don't work or come on......
WTH is going on, it brand new and only used once.

So it appears that I have too get another for the bike. This is the style I am referring too,

I want it as small as possible, BUT dependable...............
Your thoughts and suggestions.....
Tia,
Don

Before recommending another pump, have you tried charging it with another charger?

I recall some cheaper chargers (especially in the mini and micro USB days) not being able to get "over the hump" to charge a completely dead battery.

That being said... I have had the older MicroUSB version of the Cycplus A2 for 3 seasons, no issues charging up.

The digital sensor is a little low compared to an analog gauge or Topeak reader, by about 5-10% (reads 28 PSI when a gauge and Topeak read 30 PSI).

I haven't had to use it on the road, so keep it at home, where I use it a few times a year between two bikes.

Still ride with CO2 in my under saddle emergency kit.

+1 on the CO2 inflator. Yeah, the cartridges are one use and not cheap but I only use it for emergencies. I keep an automotive inflator in my vehicle for topping off my tires. With CO2, there is no battery to worry about and you can't beat the compact size.

Before recommending another pump, have you tried charging it with another charger?

I recall some cheaper chargers (especially in the mini and micro USB days) not being able to get "over the hump" to charge a completely dead battery.
That being said... I have had the older MicroUSB version of the Cycplus A2 for 3 seasons, no issues charging up.
The digital sensor is a little low compared to an analog gauge or Topeak reader, by about 5-10% (reads 28 PSI when a gauge and Topeak read 30 PSI).
I haven't had to use it on the road, so keep it at home, where I use it a few times a year between two bikes.
Still ride with CO2 in my under saddle emergency kit.
Thanks guys,
6Z
Yes, I do have 6-CO2 bottles and this inflator, I also carry, besides this elect pump
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Innovations-G2628-Ultraflate-Inflator/dp/B009F94AZ8/ref=sr_1_11?
With 1- 20 grm jug and 6-16grm jugs air gun types.
Yes, you can use 16 grm jugs in a 20 grm inflator, with 6/7 Nickels and rubber band or .030"-.040" thick plastic sleeve to increase the O/S Dia of the 16 grm jugs to fit the inside diameter space of the inflator, the 6/7 Nickels .670" thickness difference, to raise the 16 grm jugs up so these can be punctured when screwing the inflator together.
I use a lot of the 16grm jugs in my air guns/pistols.

It takes approximately 2-1/2 - 16 grm jugs to fill my 26x4.5" bike tires,
to around 30#'s.

Antboy
Thanks,
I have several of the USB to "C" type of cables that are used to charge this elect air pump, I'll try them all. I hope it works,

Your thoughts or suggestions......

Thanks All
Don

Last edited:
As a follow up, none of the "C" type power cords will work, and this pump will only work when plugged into 12v DC, when you pull the plug, it stops working.
There is NO way to open up and see the inside to check for broken wires etc.
This pump looks like this,
I do have it plugged into 12v and see if it will take a charge.

So, It appears I'll have to order a different air pump.

Thanks,
Don

If you carry a CO2 inflator, why do you also need to carry an electric pump? What do you use it for?

I used to carry this one:

I could recharge it via the USB port on my bike's display if necessary. I found I rarely needed it and it took up too much space in my rack bag. I switched to a CO2 inflator with a compact 2 stage hand pump as a backup.

I understand it takes 2+ CO2 cartridges to fill your fat tires but how often do you get a flat? If I notice a tire is low on air while on the trail, I just sacrifice a cartridge and top it off. I'm pretty good at judging tire pressure by squeezing but I carry a small tire gauge just in case.

I'm not questioning your judgement here or trying to give you a hard time, I'm just curious of your reasoning. Maybe I'm missing something and should start carrying my electric pump again.🤔

6Z
Since I found out that my inflator will not hold the remaining supply of gas,
(it used to), I thought I should have a back up, since where I normally ride is
miles from the closest road.
I don't feel I could push this 100# monster out to the nearest road.
I guess I could double up the amount of the CO2 jugs, for more back up.
It's reassuring know that you have a back up, to a possible unknown problem........LOL
Thanks
Don

I've bought several air pumps from the LBS that didn't work. I disrespect rechargeable batteries, also. I have 5 allegedly rechargeable DeWalt LiIon tool batteries that are use once and throw away. DeWalt sent me 2 chargers under warranty that won't charge any of the five batteries.
Can't say anything nice about CO2 cartridges either. My Daisy air pistol is always dead when I spot a mouse blatently staring at me from 6' away.
However this Lezyne hand pump works https://www.modernbike.com/lezyne-abs-pressure-drive-mini-frame-pump-medium-black-polished-silver
My Lezyne is 4 years old, has been immersed in rainwater in the pannier, and still works. Weighs less than a pound. I use it to 55 psi. Used to specify it would go to 120 psi but that text has been dropped. Maybe this is a different model, mine didn't say anything about pumping 30% faster.

I've bought several air pumps from the LBS that didn't work. I disrespect rechargeable batteries, also. I have 5 allegedly rechargeable DeWalt LiIon tool batteries that are use once and throw away. DeWalt sent me 2 chargers under warranty that won't charge any of the five batteries.
Can't say anything nice about CO2 cartridges either. My Daisy air pistol is always dead when I spot a mouse blatently staring at me from 6' away.
However this Lezyne hand pump works https://www.modernbike.com/lezyne-abs-pressure-drive-mini-frame-pump-medium-black-polished-silver
My Lezyne is 4 years old, has been immersed in rainwater in the pannier, and still works. Weighs less than a pound. I use it to 55 psi. Used to specify it would go to 120 psi but that text has been dropped. Maybe this is a different model, mine didn't say anything about pumping 30% faster.
I'm surprised that the Dewalt batteries are duds. I have several Ryobi 18 volt tools (not usually regarded as the top brand), and the batteries have been very reliable and durable. I think I have had only one go truly dead (couldn't take a charge). They originally used ni-cad batteries, which worked okay but were heavy, then nickel-metal-hydrides, which vanished from the market after only a year or so, when lithiums came in. I use both the 18 volt and 40 volt Ryobi's, but come to think of it, a 40 volt did bite the dust after several years. It's interesting that I have never heard of a power tool battery catching fire. Must be some significant difference with a bike battery, though I'm assuming the chemistry is the same. Maybe it's because the energy density is much lower--typically not more than 4 or 5 amp hrs.

It ain't cheap, but it's good...

I'm surprised that the Dewalt batteries are duds. I have several Ryobi 18 volt tools (not usually regarded as the top brand), and the batteries have been very reliable and durable. I think I have had only one go truly dead (couldn't take a charge). They originally used ni-cad batteries, which worked okay but were heavy, then nickel-metal-hydrides, which vanished from the market after only a year or so, when lithiums came in. I use both the 18 volt and 40 volt Ryobi's, but come to think of it, a 40 volt did bite the dust after several years. It's interesting that I have never heard of a power tool battery catching fire. Must be some significant difference with a bike battery, though I'm assuming the chemistry is the same. Maybe it's because the energy density is much lower--typically not more than 4 or 5 amp hrs.
Cordless tool batteries are built to a higher standard than their low cost e-bike counterparts. The down side to using them is the cost per AH is considerably higher.

I use these 15AH DeWalt tool batteries on my bikes:

Back