Giro Ethos helmet

Wes Turner

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley, CA
I am in the market for an e-bike. At one of the bike stores I visited, the sales person showed me a Giro Ethos helmet, which he said he owns. I liked that it had lights, including front and back turn signals that are operated by a wireless control mounted on the handlebars. It also seemed very comfortable.

Does anyone have any experience with this helmet, positive or negative?

Are there any competitors that I should consider?

Are there any that are safer? I am 80 years old, so want the best protection I can get.

Thanks

It is a gizmo that does not make your ride any safer but the helmet becomes unnecessarily heavy. Wear any good helmet without unnecessary gimmicks. Your future Gazelle has good lights. You signal your turns with hand signals (the drivers do not expect turn signals on a cyclist helmet!) You only could install a good rear-view mirror on your Gazelle for increased ride safety (Mirrycle or Hafny are two most popular brands).

I can't speak for the Ethos but it is best to stay with a helmet that is MIPS rated. I'm not crazy about helmets with a lot of gadgets. I use this basic Giro Fixture II model:

I would suggest you try several at a LBS before buying. Safety is first but comfort is a close second.

I think instead of concentrating on the riding, you lose concentration by trying to remember to use the indicators.

Let’s face it, car drivers don’t always see other cars which are bigger and with bigger indicators.

Agree to go for a good quality MIPS helmet. Both Mrs DG and myself use Specialized MIPS helmets which are comfortable as well as functional.

DG…

It is a gizmo that does not make your ride any safer but the helmet becomes unnecessarily heavy. Wear any good helmet without unnecessary gimmicks. Your future Gazelle has good lights. You signal your turns with hand signals (the drivers do not expect turn signals on a cyclist helmet!) You only could install a good rear-view mirror on your Gazelle for increased ride safety (Mirrycle or Hafny are two most popular brands).
You have a point. The Ethos would have to be recharged as would the transmitter. I do like the idea of lights on the helmet. My head will be moving which means that the lights will be moving which means that I will be more visible.The one I tried on in the shop didn't seem any heavier than any of the others I tried.

I will absolutely have a rear view mirror.

I can't speak for the Ethos but it is best to stay with a helmet that is MIPS rated. I'm not crazy about helmets with a lot of gadgets. I use this basic Giro Fixture II model:

I would suggest you try several at a LBS before buying. Safety is first but comfort is a close second.
The Ethos is MIPS rated.

Lumos invented the idea and they have several models. if your riding at night or rain or fog is sure does not hurt. I use the lumos helmet once winter sets in. but it does add weight.
I doubt I will be riding much at night if at all. And I am over 200 lbs, so the weight is not that much of a factor.

Last edited:
I think instead of concentrating on the riding, you lose concentration by trying to remember to use the indicators.
It takes 1-2 seconds to touch the turn signal button. I can't see how that could be much of a distraction from driving.

Let’s face it, car drivers don’t always see other cars which are bigger and with bigger indicators.
Which seems like a good argument for including as many indicators as possible.

Agree to go for a good quality MIPS helmet. Both Mrs DG and myself use Specialized MIPS helmets which are comfortable as well as functional.

DG…
I'll look into those. Thanks

I mean weight sitting on your head. a light helmet is so much nicer.
Yeah, I know what you meant. As I said above, the Giro Ethos weighs 10 oz. How much does your helmet weigh?

Besides, my muscles have been carrying my head around for almost 80 years and a lot of people believe it is full of rocks.

I have a Mips helmet that has a rear light. Not heavy, and convenient. Wouldn't mind a front light on it. Turn signals seem to add unnecessary complication, though I do believe hand signaling on a bicycle is an unsafe practice.

Yeah, I know what you meant. As I said above, the Giro Ethos weighs 10 oz. How much does your helmet weigh?

Besides, my muscles have been carrying my head around for almost 80 years and a lot of people believe it is full of rocks.
Where do you get 10 oz? First 2 reviews I looked at put it at 470g and 475g. Which is pound. While I'm sure your noggin can handle it that is definitely hefty for a bike helmet.

Fyi: I alternate between 2 relatively heavy helmets (390-395g) a Lumos Ultra with led turn signals and a Lazer Anverz with a face shield and NTA8776 protection. This Giro is almost like a combo of the 2 and costs as much as they did combined as well!

Where do you get 10 oz? First 2 reviews I looked at put it at 470g and 475g. Which is pound. While I'm sure your noggin can handle it that is definitely hefty for a bike helmet.

Fyi: I alternate between 2 relatively heavy helmets (390-395g) a Lumos Ultra with led turn signals and a Lazer Anverz with a face shield and NTA8776 protection. This Giro is almost like a combo of the 2 and costs as much as they did combined as well!
The Amazon page says 10 oz (284g), but the Giro website says 475g (16.76 oz). The info on Amazon is often wrong.

The Piro Ethos weighs 10 oz, which is the same as their more basic model. That doesn't seem "unnecessarily heavy" to me.
I mean weight sitting on your head. a light helmet is so much nicer.
Agree
Giro Ethos helmet weighs 475 g, which is heavy as for a bicycle helmet.
It is 54% heavier than the Specialized Echelon II, which is my principal helmet (308 g).
It is 112% heavier tham KASK Rapido, which I wear for the slower of my e-bikes in the warm season (224 g).
It is 35% heavier than UVEX P1US PRO, a skiing helmet that I wear for the winter (350 g).

All because the Ethos is packed with gizmos a cyclist does not need and a driver would ignore (as drivers do not expect direction indicators on the bicycle helmet).

Wes, I need to tell you something about the drivers' perception of cyclists.

I had a number plate on the first incarnation of my 45 km/h e-bike, as it was registered as a moped and insured. Were it an ICE moped (we call it a scooter), any driver would recognize the scooter and understand ICE scooters must ride with the traffic (and are banned from bike paths). However, most of drivers could only see me as a pedalling person (read: a cyclist). I had many unpleasant situations being angrily yelled at by drivers. Most of them "didn't see" the number plate on my e-bike even if it was exactly the same as the ICE scooter one. Their perception was blocked against seeing the number plate on a bicycle!

More. I was stopped by police patrols twice. In both situations, I was riding with traffic where I had to be doing that, and intentionally was not riding on a bike path along the road. Each of those police checks took at least half an hour. It was because the only thing the police could see was a cyclist pedalling with traffic. Once the policemen were shown the number plate, a "witch trial" started. The police were very suspicious of the number plate ("Did you buy it in a flea market?") Then, I had to present my ID, so they could check my driving license, e-bike registration, and the insurance in their databases. When the documents turned out to be OK, my e-bike was undergoing a technical check: lights, horn, etc etc. ("Is your headlight Type Approved?"), and the best of all: 'Where are the direction indicators?" -- "The blinkers are optional on a moped, sir..." -- "Oh yes, I know, you may use hand signals; just checking if you knew it" the policeman said.

I do not need to mention some aggresive drivers and their verbal abuse, especially after I had shown the driver the number plate to them ("OFF ONTO THE BIKE PATH, FUCKER!!!")

It was a legal, registered, marked and insured moped but with pedals. Do you really think Wes an American driver would pay a slightest attention to your helmet blinkers? I know better ways to commit suicide...

Wes, I need to tell you something about the drivers' perception of cyclists.

I had a number plate on the first incarnation of my 45 km/h e-bike, as it was registered as a moped and insured. Were it an ICE moped (we call it a scooter), any driver would recognize the scooter and understand ICE scooters must ride with the traffic (and are banned from bike paths). However, most of drivers could only see me as a pedalling person (read: a cyclist). I had many unpleasant situations being angrily yelled at by drivers. Most of them "didn't see" the number plate on my e-bike even if it was exactly the same as the ICE scooter one. Their perception was blocked against seeing the number plate on a bicycle!

More. I was stopped by police patrols twice. In both situations, I was riding with traffic where I had to be doing that, and intentionally was not riding on a bike path along the road. Each of those police checks took at least half an hour. It was because the only thing the police could see was a cyclist pedalling with traffic. Once the policemen were shown the number plate, a "witch trial" started. The police were very suspicious of the number plate ("Did you buy it in a flea market?") Then, I had to present my ID, so they could check my driving license, e-bike registration, and the insurance in their databases. When the documents turned out to be OK, my e-bike was undergoing a technical check: lights, horn, etc etc. ("Is your headlight Type Approved?"), and the best of all: 'Where are the direction indicators?" -- "The blinkers are optional on a moped, sir..." -- "Oh yes, I know, you may use hand signals; just checking if you knew it" the policeman said.

I do not need to mention some aggresive drivers and their verbal abuse, especially after I had shown the driver the number plate to them ("OFF ONTO THE BIKE PATH, FUCKER!!!")

It was a legal, registered, marked and insured moped but with pedals. Do you really think Wes an American driver would pay a slightest attention to your helmet blinkers? I know better ways to commit suicide...
Hmmm... I have no idea what it is like in the part of Poland where you ride. And I am not sure how relevant your bad experiences with drivers are for me as I will not be cycling in the car lanes if I have a choice. For the past month, I have been test riding my neighbor's Faraday e-bike. If I had nowhere in particular to go and was just out for some exercise and cycling experience I only drove on residential streets with few cars. If I did have someplace to go, I would use Google Maps to show me a bike-friendly route. This is a fairly limited experience, I admit, but 90% of the cars I encountered were very careful. Many times I would be stopped at a stop sign with a pedestrian crossing in my direction. A car in the other direction without a stop sign would often stop and wave me across. A few cars just sped on by, but I didn't have a single experience of the type of aggressive or hostile drivers that you mention. But then, again, I was not in the car lane.

You may be right that at least some drivers may not be affected by turn signals on the helmet. I guess we'll see as I definitely plan to get one with signals.

@Wes Turner

You’ve had a number of very good responses regarding helmets, indicators, lights, etc.

Nearly all of these appear to be negative, yet you still ask the same question.

At the end of the day, it’s your bike, your money, your body, your decision.

Just get what you want and get out riding in the fresh air to enjoy the cycling.

I’m out daily when I can and enjoying myself. Just reliant on my mirror and rear radar, which alerts me to traffic coming on to me. Good use of hand signals from when I took my Cycling Proficiency Test over 50 years and, I’m still here.

Enjoy the wonders of cycling.

DG…

I have no idea what it is like in the part of Poland where you ride.
Many Polish drivers are cyclists, too. I usually experience no issues now as I'm riding bike paths wherever these exist and ride low traffic roads where applicable.

But then, again, I was not in the car lane.
The aggresive drivers hate you for taking the part of their territory.

It was not my point. My point is the direction indicators are useless on an e-bike, as the drivers do not expect to see them on a bicycle.
-- 'How come you smashed that cyclist on his left turn, sir?'
-- 'He did not signal his intention. No hand signal!'

Trust me, even the policeman would not have paid any attention to your blinking helmet post the crash. The turn signals do not belong to bicycles.

Good use of hand signals from when I took my Cycling Proficiency Test over 50 years and, I’m still here.
The drivers do understand cycling hand signals in most countries :) I do agree.

Back