Are ABUS Pedelec 2.0 MIPS helmets actually NTA-8776 certified?

gladiataar

Region
USA
City
California
I bought an ABUS Pedelec 2.0 MIPS helmet a couple of weeks ago and really love its look, fit, and ventilation characteristics.

My concern is this ... nowhere on the box, in the included manual, or on the helmet (stamped, stickered, etc.) does it actually say anything about NTA-8776. As of today, the ABUS website says that the helmet "complies with the requirements in the Dutch Technical Agreement (NTA) 8776." Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything in writing -- or on the product -- indicating that it is an actual NTA-8776 certified helmet.

Obviously, I reached out to ABUS directly, using their online request form. After not hearing back a few days later, I sent a second request using the same online inquiry format. Waited a few more days ... and nothing ... crickets. So I moved on to the next step and called them. I was forwarded to the helmets rep and asked him outright if it was NTA-8776 certified. He was a very nice guy and explained that NTA-8776 was a European thing and that they have yet to label their helmets (or packaging) going to the U.S. He also kindly tried to dig up a certificate of conformity, but couldn't seem to find anything while I was on the phone with him. On my own, I had previously dug up (on the certs section of their website) a certificate of conformity for the "Pedelec" helmet dated 2019-01-28, but it was only certified to: "Regulation (EU) 2016/425" and "CE EN 1078:2012 + A1:2012". This makes sense because NTA-8776 wasn't even around in 2019. I know for sure the helmet is also CPSC certified in the U.S. because there are currently several stickers on the inside of the helmet indicating it as such.

ABUS is a very large, well established company in the lock and safety business, and I'm pretty confident that their helmet rep is correct in saying that the company wouldn't do anything to put themselves in legal jeopardy, but I also think it's important for a company as large as this to be a little more "official" in labeling and documenting their products and certifications. What's ironic about the whole thing is that ABUS is one of the companies that initially joined together in creating the NTA-8776 standard.

So I'm asking the bicycling community, for my own peace of mind, does anyone out there own an ABUS helmet that actually has NTA-8776 stickers/indications on the helmet or packaging like their competitors do? I really love the helmet and want to keep it for use with my ebike, but also want to make sure my head will actually be protected like I think it will. Being "certified to", versus being "built to" NTA-8776 standards, are two different things.

So I'm asking the bicycling community, for my own peace of mind, does anyone out there own an ABUS helmet that actually has NTA-8776 stickers/indications on the helmet or packaging like their competitors do? I really love the helmet and want to keep it for use with my ebike, but also want to make sure my head will actually be protected like I think it will. Being "certified to", versus being "built to" NTA-8776 standards, are two different things.
The proper NTA-8776 helmet is Abus "Pedelec +" (Plus). It has the sticker. Not sure if made anymore (it was available three years ago in 2020). I own one.

1690968461995.png

On the other hand, the new Abus Pedelec 2.0 Ace helmet is advertised as NTA-8776.

Last edited:
My concern is this ... nowhere on the box, in the included manual, or on the helmet (stamped, stickered, etc.) does it actually say anything about NTA-8776. As of today, the ABUS website says that the hel
My Abus Pedelec 2 has the NTA 8776 sticker inside the helmet. Can't imagine why it wouldn't meet those specifications.

However I've never read anything about the MIPS standard in relation to this helmet model. That doesn't bother me.

Thank you for the replies. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear -- helmets shipped outside the U.S. are apparently labeled accordingly. I guess it is just a case of their package/product labeling being behind the build of the helmet itself. Weird. I'd think it would be something they'd be proud to advertise.

The ABUS Pedelec 2.0 that I purchased has a MIPS sticker on the outside surface of the helmet, which cost about 20 USD more than the non-MIPS version. Otherwise, the two helmets are identical. The helmet I received also has CPSC and CE stickers on the inside.

There are about 5 or 6 helmets available in the U.S. now that have both NTA-8776 and MIPS certifications. And at this point, I think any $200+ ebike helmet should have both. Of those that I've tried, the ABUS fit best on my head.

Back