Winter Helmet

Jim1348

It was about 18 degrees F last night. The helmet I typically wear, even with a balaclava, was not warm enough. I actually went home and switched to my ATV helmet!

Anyway, for those that ride in colder temperatures, what helmets to you like to wear when it is cold outside?

I still wear my Fox Flux helmet. I end up added a balaclava or just a skull cap depending on how chilly it is that day. I sometimes use the skull cap+balaclava below freezing temps. It can be a little chilly at first; but, I warm up pretty quick and sometimes have to pull down the balaclava or unzip my top a bit to regulate heat.

I wear a full face MTB helmet in colder weather, but I don't ride in temperatures much below freezing.

I did some poking around on-line and read that some people use snowboard helmets while riding their e-bikes.

I would like to continue using a headlamp on my e-bike rides, so I want whatever I buy to have the means to attach that.

I did some poking around on-line and read that some people use snowboard helmets while riding their e-bikes.

I would like to continue using a headlamp on my e-bike rides, so I want whatever I buy to have the means to attach that.
I’m able to switch lights from my mtb lid to a Giro snowboard helmet that I wear during colder nights. Both helmets have GoPro style mounts. The dual system that I currently use is from Outbound lighting. In the past I’ve also fitted a Cygolite Metro to either helmet but I find that OB Hangover/Trail Evo duo are unmatched in their performance.

IMG_20221129_1938579.jpg

IMG_20221204_1553416.jpg

PXL_20231219_230030707.jpg

I got this ski helmet for $55

and these 1200 lumen lights for $20

and attached them with velcro to my winter and summer helmets. It is very light at 6g, very bright, and I have a spare. I highly recommend them.
I wear a balaclava under either helmet The Smith snow helmet at 67cm is much smaller than my Specialized Align II Mips Helmet
helmet is at 62cm.

I got this ski helmet for $55

and these 1200 lumen lights for $20

and attached them with velcro to my winter and summer helmets. It is very light at 6g, very bright, and I have a spare. I highly recommend them.
I wear a balaclava under either helmet The Smith snow helmet at 67cm is much smaller than my Specialized Align II Mips Helmet
helmet is at 62cm.
Nice combination.

I wear a heavier USGI tanker balaclava when it gets really cold, and for the winter I cover over my forward facing helmet vents with painter's tape. The tape works very well despite its thinness.

Has anyone tried a foil hat?

Thin enough to fit under a bike helmet, windproof, excellent at recycling radiative heat losses, itself recyclable, and very effective at blocking those pesky alien mind probes.
;^}

Back