Girl Talk

I believe that step through designs were originally produced for women because of their long skirts and because it wasn’t considered lady like to throw your leg over the saddle.

My preference has always been to have a top tube. The traditional double triangle frame design is inherently strong without the need for oversized tubes or bracing.

As for mounting, I lean the bike down toward me and easily swing a leg over. I think that stepping through would be a little awkward for me, although I have to admit that I have never tried it.

I was a mechanical engineer and I appreciate the simplicity and genius of a traditional, double triangle frame. That said, if a step through works for you, then of course that is a good option.

This is a picture of Katharine Wright, (Wilbur and Orville’s sister), and her riding group. Her bike was built by her brother’s shop.

63CAE497-4D06-4295-823D-CD2DDAAAA140.jpeg

Last edited:
@ChezCheese:), I really like your thoughtful and concise analysis and perspective. Three points. I also like it when someone can add a little humor to make a point, as with your intro. What about if there were an electric Mixite? These do not have the sweeping curves of a cruiser nor the hunkyness of many marketed as 'e-MTBs,' but many of which are actually things like-85 pound fat folders which could never go on a mountain. Here is a Mixite in a subtitle lacquer red color called Kimpton with a matching rack. This was from back in the days when batteries were larger and heavier. Please ignore that bit. But do look at the chain line, the Nexus internal gears, and riding position. Displays have also gotten smaller since then. I find that steel frames do not transfer minor bumps and road noise in to my joints and fillings.

Attachments

• m7i11p.JPG
    m7i11p.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 122
  • m7i11k.JPG
    m7i11k.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 121
  • m7i11j.JPG
    m7i11j.JPG
    411 KB · Views: 125
  • m7i11i.JPG
    m7i11i.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 118
  • m7i11f.JPG
    m7i11f.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 136
  • M7i11e.JPG
    M7i11e.JPG
    354.3 KB · Views: 127
  • m7i11b.JPG
    m7i11b.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 119
For some reason, could be this time of discombobulation, this thread puts me in an even more terrible mood. I hope you did not intend for it to do so. Or is there a further movement to put us back even more by ordering us to ride pastel colored bikes and never a crossbar? That's the way it is coming across, to me, after last week's decision.

For the record, my mom often would buy us girls, boy's coats because she said they were made better and sturdier, and might have cost less too. My dad insisted we use genuine sporting equipment--nothing of a smaller size so we'd be used to it. The basketball hoop was at regulation height. The baseball bat was a real one, etc.

No extra coddling or catering needed. Yes, I like pastel colors but I don't pick my car choices by the color, so why would I insist on a "pretty" bike instead of one that rides well, is sturdy, and is comfy. Try lifting your leg over this...(there is laundry detergent and something else heavy in the saddle bags) I'm in a bad mood now and will go away.
DSC01798.JPG

The irony of "girls" bikes is that they are actually more practical for men, at least when learning eMTB. I have had to leap off Seeker a few times when I bit off more than I could chew on the trail, and man, that top tube is just low enough to avoid excruciating pain. And maybe not low enough if I jumped too far forward...

I rode a girls three speed to school for many years-- a well-made Raleigh that someone gifted to us. I went to a snotty boy's school in Manhattan, people teased me about it sometimes, but mostly not-- we were too busy trying to avoid getting mugged. And we had other things to pick fights with each other about.

One day I was riding and... the bike seemed slower than usual, and there was this metallic scraping sound. I tried to ignore it-- I was probably high-- but the handling was bad, and when I braked to check it out, something felt really wrong.

BOTH down tubes had broken at the bottom bracket. The lower down tube was completely separated, and the upper one was only attached by a thin flange of metal, the bike was literally almost in two pieces. If I'd stayed on it another few seconds, it would have broken in half. And this was on a Raleigh!

That was it for me: Never again. I'm fine with Mixtes, they seem structurally sound to me, but no matter what advances we've made in engineering, I'll never ride a bike without a top tube. Not completely rational, it's probably just PTSD-- that incident really shook me up. Not even that Gazelle, Chez, which is lovely.

The logo for our band was pink, and I'm a punk, and we often wore glam and androgynous clothes. We'd wear women's scarves or (fake) fur coats to Xenon and Studio 54, and I'd have no problem wearing a damn dress if I looked good in one, but meh-- I just don't think it works for me. I did wear makeup on stage on many occasions, though it's been a few years, usually just a little eyeliner or mascara.

@ChezCheese:), This was from back in the days when batteries were larger and heavier. Please ignore that bit. But do look at the chain line, the Nexus internal gears, and riding position. Displays have also gotten smaller since then. I find that steel frames do not transfer minor bumps and road noise in to my joints and fillings.

Battery came with my first ever e bike recently and the battery is big and heavy .
But i prefer the gearing inside the hub of any bike and is why i went that route
as certainly wont be the same needed for fixing the gearing as happens often with Derrailleur gears .

The irony of "girls" bikes is that they are actually more practical for men . I have had to leap off Seeker a few times when I bit off more than I could chew on the trail, and man, that top tube is just low enough to avoid excruciating pain. And maybe not low enough if I jumped too far forward...
And why i went for my very first time with a bike purchased a non top tube and the step thru e bike is easier and safer fir sure
plus a larger seat so as i can sit in more comfort with more room . Oh aye e bike is said to be Unisex although many see them frames as a females bike
does it matter well i went for step thru as have had bar along male style for many yrs and i know what is easiest to get on and off and safest fir sure :)

I would take my mom's Raleigh Mixite on long rides over my Schwinn drop bar. It was faster. I hit my first second wind (runner's high) that way. Addictive. It is also the bike I learned with that overtightening bolts is very bad. I am still hooked and not overtightening. I made this unisex bike today for a whole family to use. See the seat tube angle of the black cargo. As it goes up, so does reach to the handlebars. I think a lot of us are in shock and depressed. I was invited to a march on Sunday then asked a friend to join me. That helped. When our rights are under attack.. Here is a frame that both sweeps and is double tube on top like a Mixite. It has a midway cross bar between the tubes and welds in three places for strength. Less likely to break in two that way.
1656375222542.png

Attachments

• Pick Up5 Mundo.JPG
    Pick Up5 Mundo.JPG
    409 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
@PedalUma - Sounds good ^ i them days just bought first e bike and is very first bike i have bought which is step through
plus i went for one advertized as Unisex and black matt in colour but with womans wider saddle as look comfier
to sit and being on the new bike although not much so far it is comfier although hasnt the springs underneath
which shall be even much comfier ..My old dutch cruiser 3 speed sturmey archer gearing bike i once had
had nice comfy saddle with springs under for comfort , how i wish i kept that very seat :)

I've always thought the Mixite frame style would make a good basis for a conversion. My GF is now looking at an alternative to a cheap heavy (but necessarily small framed) dual suspension MT style bike. She wants to be able to travel around with me plus be able to lift the bike into vehicles or racks. A rack or basket and fenders are a must as the bike will be an around town conveyance.

I used to often see Mixite framed bikes at various yard/garage sales but now that I'm actively looking they seem to have disappeared. If I lived in southern CA (other than the exact opposite position on the continent) I know who I'd go to for a conversion.

My 87 year old father who has been a serious cyclist most of his life is now conceding the benefits of a step through and perhaps (but only maybe) electrical assistance.

I beat the daylights out of a KHS Smoothie step through. 250lbs and 20-40 lbs of groceries. I don’t get the flex complaints. The reseller has know experience with frame failures a sells a lot of that model.

I love to ride my ebike. I get so much joy from biking again. It's just like I remember when I was a kid. I ride a 26 mile bike trail with ease. I enjoy my Giant Lafree E+1 which is very unisex in my opinion. I think you might be right that there could be more options that lean more to females. But during these times when goods are so difficult to get I understand why things are being made to accommodate unisex. I hope everyone of all shapes in sizes can find joy in their ebike journey. There is something out there for everyone. Check out my bike. I think I look pretty dang sweet moving around all summer on this.

Attachments

• PXL_20220710_142932055.jpg
    PXL_20220710_142932055.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 114
Hi, I have been off the public part of the platform for a couple of weeks because I picked up a stalker troll. That person was wrecking the fun for everyone. Giant's Momentum Vida has a mid-step. I helped a guy today pick one out. He will trade in a Carbon Cannondale road bike with less than a century on it today for the mid-step. He has a fused ankle and the road bike is just collecting dust. He will bring it to me next week for a mid-drive conversion. It is getting the all through frame treatment to avoid visible wires and connectors. It is also getting back swept Dutch riser handlebars.
1657497471333.jpeg

Quote Susan B. Anthony on bikes. This is real and happening. Liberation. Here is a preview, trailer. Anyone can give Putin, Texas, and the Saudi Princes the finger. A bike is faster in town than a car and much more fun.
1657577798241.jpeg
1657577824399.png

Last edited:
I think any color Ortleibs count ... but the pink ones look great with the grey frame.

Question - do you use the mid step as a true step through or do you swing your leg over like a full frame setup?

To me that’s no way a step through. I struggle throwing a leg over and I’d be in my butt trying to step through. Besides I’d scare everyone in my kilts.

To me that’s no way a step through. I struggle throwing a leg over and I’d be in my butt trying to step through. Besides I’d scare everyone in my kilts.
Tom, That's kind of my attitude to the mid steps but I'm curious if I'm an outlier, plus not owning one I can only guess about it. The big benefit seems to be in stand over height, and not any ease in mounting/dismounting.

It's not the kilt that would scare everyone. :oops:

Tom, That's kind of my attitude to the mid steps but I'm curious if I'm an outlier, plus not owning one I can only guess about it. The big benefit seems to be in stand over height, and not any ease in mounting/dismounting.

It's not the kilt that would scare everyone. :oops:
What does a Scottsman wear under his Kilt?

If it's a good day, lipstick!

Back