Giant SyncDrive Pro 2020 "tuning"

Ok, I made it !!! šŸ˜

Interestingly I did not have any problem fitting the device ! There was not a lot of space, but surely enough. Maybe that's because I have a L-size frame, or maybe the Volspeed V2 is a bit smaller than the Bikespeed RS. I didn't put it in the battery chamber, just below, at the very bottom of the downtube, where the red arrow is on the picture.
View attachment 60030

The advice I would give here : don't pull out all the cables when you pivot the motor. There are just two that you need to unplug, identify them and plug the device while keeping the cables where they are if you don't need to move them. That way it was quite easy to put everything back together.

It still took me several hours, but the hardest part for me 1) understanding which tools I needed 2) the unmounting process itself, because it looked a bit different than all the tutorials online which were made on older versions.

So for the tools, this is what I needed on mine (Explore E+1 Pro 2020 with SyncDrive Pro) :
  • 8mm hex key with a long handle - long handle is important to be able to apply enough torque, the nuts on the pedals are very tightly fastened and there is just no way to remove them with a tiny pocket tool (I tried and failed).
  • 4mm hex key - needed to remove the motor cover.
  • Crank puller tool + 16mm wrench (also long enough for the same reason as above, also tried and initially failed using one that was too small). You need a tool compatible with a ISIS drive, not Octalink ! (with the thick rotating tip)
  • Giant spider + 1/2ā€ torque wrench
  • T20, T25 and T30 Torx keys
  • Flathead screwdriver (to pivot the motor once unscrewed)
  • I did not need the chain whip tool. You can use the rear brake to prevent the wheel from rotating when using the spider.
I had a short test drive with the limit upped at 32 km/h and it makes already a big difference with 25 km/h. With the Volspeed it is possible to set the limit with the remote without having to unmount it again.

Again thanks a lot for the support ! And hopefully this little feedback can help someone else
Congratulations!!!!! Good for you! Not an easy job to do, especially the first time.

I'm sure you are correct in that the large frame size was a help. My bike has a small frame size (I have short legs) and there are some reinforcing obstructions in the tubes and there was no way I was able to get the BikeSpeed RS inside without pinching wires. And after I gave up and wanted to put it back together stock, I was also unable to refit the original wires and connectors back. I ended up taking it to the dealer and having him do it. And even for him (dedicated Giant dealer) it took over two hours just to fit the wires properly.

Ride in good health!

The 2020 Giant ebikes use a differently located magnet and sensor. Volspeed reports the correct speed and distance and is highly configurable.

Stefan, you are right about the new 2020 models... I understand that a new BadA$$ Box is in development for the integrated speed sensors. šŸ˜‰

I have a 2020 Explore E+ 4 and the back wheel has magnet on spokes with the pickup unit on the back wheel strut. Doesn't that indicate the "standard" setup and not a integrated speed sensors?

I have a 2020 Explore E+ 4 and the back wheel has a magnet on spokes with the pickup unit on the back wheel strut.

Doesn't that indicate the "standard" setup and not an integrated speed sensor?

Yes, you have the original setup with the spoke magnet and chainstay sensor... so it is a simple setup with the BadA$$ box in under 30 seconds. šŸ˜‰

1595783874629.png

For the greater good of EBR members, try using the BadAa$$ box to tune your Yamaha motor.

No motor drop or disassembly is required ... just clip the box to your speed sensor. Job Done! šŸ˜‰

Yes, I agree with Flatsix911, I bought the Badass unit for my 2018 Full E and it works like it should. Itā€™s great and I recommend it.
The downside is that it doesnā€™t fit my 2020 Trance E with the relocated sensor, as stated above, so Iā€™m sure there would be a great market if someone out there could produce something to fit the newer bikes (without the serious surgery as detailed with other options)
Fingers crossed

Many options exist to de-restrict Yamaha or SyncDrive motors. The problem is not only the SyncDrive Pro (Yamaha PW-X2) is customised for Giant but also the 2020 Giant e-bikes use the speed-sensor magnet on the rear brake rotor (it was on a spoke before), and the speed sensor is now on the inside of the chain-stay. That makes many "tuning" solutions such as the Badass 4 probably useless.

There is an electronic solution called VOLspeed V2 for Giant Syncdrive Sport / Pro:

Since my Trance E+ 2 Pro is now equipped with the older EVO display (instead of the newer RideControl One remote), I might be tempted to try the VolSpeed. Of course for use of the bike on the private property only!

I asked ebiketuning for more information, and especially for the setup instruction PDF. Will see.

Thoughts?

Hi I have the new giant fathom e + 2 pro with the sync drive pro , I have bought a speed box 2 and I have tried like the video says - take the bottom cover/guard off then unscrew 2 motor screws and it should hang/pivot down From the last screw. Wel the motor isnā€™t budging , any seem to drop it out and no obvious screws or bolts holding it in. Is there anyone that could help me out , if you need photos Iā€™d be more than happy to send , or a quick video call and if you solve the problem I will without a doubt send some money over , I would go to the bike shop but they donā€™t support the speed box as will stop warranty etc.
thanks advance
Will

Hi I have the new giant fathom e + 2 pro with the sync drive pro , I have bought a speed box 2 and I have tried like the video says - take the bottom cover/guard off then unscrew 2 motor screws and it should hang/pivot down From the last screw. Wel the motor isnā€™t budging , cant seem to drop it out and no obvious screws or bolts holding it in. Is there anyone that could help me out , if you need photos Iā€™d be more than happy to send , or a quick video call and if you solve the problem I will without a doubt send some money over , I would go to the bike shop but they donā€™t support the speed box as will stop warranty etc.
Is there another way to the wiring loom???
thanks advance
Will
I also already have a badd ass box and was working ok at start but now it has restricted the limiter to about 20mph was originally 30pmh hence the switch To speed box

Hi I have the new giant fathom e + 2 pro with the sync drive pro , I have bought a speed box 2 and I have tried like the video says - take the bottom cover/guard off then unscrew 2 motor screws and it should hang/pivot down From the last screw. Wel the motor isnā€™t budging , any seem to drop it out and no obvious screws or bolts holding it in. Is there anyone that could help me out , if you need photos Iā€™d be more than happy to send , or a quick video call and if you solve the problem I will without a doubt send some money over , I would go to the bike shop but they donā€™t support the speed box as will stop warranty etc.
thanks advance
Will
Just look backwards in this same thread! The answer is already here.

thanks advance
Will
Look at the previous page, I had the same issue
There is no other bolt or screw, you just have to push it quite hard for it to pivot, you can use a flat head screwdriver to help you that works pretty well - if you don't find where I can show you if you post a photo

Look at the previous page, I had the same issue
There is no other bolt or screw, you just have to push it quite hard for it to pivot, you can use a flat head screwdriver to help you that works pretty well - if you don't find where I can show you if you post a photo
There are 2 bolts each side , 2 short bolts on the crank side and 2 long on the other side , what ones do I undo ? And then where do I apply pressure
I canā€™t find the last post you are on about

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 398
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 604
You need to completely remove the crank (8mm hex bolt + crank puller tool + spider), remove the bottom and right side cover, and then unscrew the motor. Only then are you able to pivot the motor to expose the wiring.

Last edited:
So do I take bolt number 1 and 2 out completely on both sides? And is there a third one? If not can you explain please mate itā€™s my pride and joy donā€™t wanna force it and realise itā€™s got another bolt in
FE2C03DE-F75D-407D-A31B-191CE83AED4A.jpeg

No, actually bolt number 1 you just loosen but don't remove (it's removed on the pic because I was myself experimenting, being unsure how to pivot the motor)

Bolt number 2 you need to completely remove from both sides (left and right), yes

There isn't a third one as far as I remember. That's what confused me because on the videos I saw there were 3 bolts, but it was older versions of the bike.

And you don't need to touch the charging port

Hi salva, my speed box 2 has come and the speed sensor connects fine but I canā€™t find any connectors that fit my speed box??
What speed box did you get and what is the model of your bike???

one more feedback - the higher speed does increase battery load quite a lot, especially on the higher assist modes
I have a 500Wh and it's fine, but I would advise considering the 625Wh version
I initially wanted to take the Fastroad EX which comes with a 375Wh battery, and in hindsight I'm glad I didn't.
Otherwise super happy with it so far !

Just had a dry run on seeing if I could fit the speedbox 2 on my fastroad E EX PRO, didnā€™t get very far before I can see it is not an easy or quick job. Will try the sensor and magnet relocation and if I like the results I will get the Badassbox, thanks for the detailed posts it has saved me a lot of grief. If anybody does manage to install a speedbox into a fastroad I would appreciate it being posted as I would prefer the correct speed displayed.

Back