Giant SyncDrive Pro 2020 "tuning"

Hello,
I'm still waiting for my Giant 2020 to be delivered but I'm already looking at tuning options as I already feel I am going to be frustrated with the 25kph limitation in EU.
I am however a bit lost between all the options : Speedbox, Volspeed, Redped, PearTune MSO, Sx2, ...
Does any of these stand out / do things which the others don't / is easier to install ? My understanding is that the Badass box is the easiest solution to mount, but won't show the actual speed on the display, which I would like to have.
Thanks !

This model : Explore E+1 PRO GTS 2020, maybe it's available only in the EU
It has the SyncDrive Pro motor and the RideControl EVO display

I think I read somewhere that installing the Redped would prevent the Giant app from working ? This leaves quite a lot of other options though and I am not sure how they differ from each other

I gather from Stefan's report that the Volspeed works fine but is a pain to mount - I'm wondering if other options are maybe a little easier to mount or offer some extra features ?

Last edited:
A lot of them are discussed here: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...2-vs-eplus-vs-badassbox-4-or-3-4.26352/page-6

I'm surprised they're putting the old display on the new bikes, interesting.
You can always install a more conventional bike computer for mileage, distance, speed, etc. That's what I did on my Trance, as even though I can use the app I don't want my smartphone perched up on the bars.

As I understand, the more sophisticated ones read out correctly as well as de-restrict. A badassbox or speedbox just replaces the speed signal to the motor to unlock it.

The only complaint I've heard on the in-frame installed ones is that it's really tight to fit in there, and you have to drop the motor to install it.

I'm surprised they're putting the old display on the new bikes, interesting.
The Evo is really OK, Chris, and they do not have any newer type, going with the RideControl One totally. You need a display on a touring bike. It was my costly decision to replace the One with the EVO on thr Trance because I need a display.

@Salva846: The magnet in the 2020 models is located at the rear brake rotor, so you cannot use the Badass without some modification. VolSpeed is good but it is pain to install it.

Hello,
I'm still waiting for my Giant 2020 to be delivered but I'm already looking at tuning options as I already feel I am going to be frustrated with the 25kph limitation in EU.
I am however a bit lost between all the options : Speedbox, Volspeed, Redped, PearTune MSO, Sx2, ...
Does any of these stand out / do things which the others don't / is easier to install ? My understanding is that the Badass box is the easiest solution to mount, but won't show the actual speed on the display, which I would like to have.
Thanks !
I have a 2019 Explore E+1 GTS and I tried (and failed) to install the BikeSpeed RS device. As far as I can see, all those units that maintain accurate speed and distance displays, are about the same size and require the same effort to install. The reason I failed, (I believe) might be because my bike's frame was the small size and thus had less room inside the tubes for the extra wires, connectors and the device itself. Other than for fitting everything back in, the hardest part of the installation is to remove the crank and sprocket and drop (pivot) the motor.

I've decided I can live with the 32kph limit we have here in Canada. But 25kph would drive me nuts!

That's still the best display Giant offers. Are you implying there is a better display?

I'm not implying anything. I'm not aware of any displays on Giant ebikes in the US from 2019 on, unless you purchase that one. I use the app for smartphone on my three. So I was surprised to see one on a new bike.

I'm not implying anything. I'm not aware of any displays on Giant ebikes in the US from 2019 on, unless you purchase that one. I use the app for smartphone on my three. So I was surprised to see one on a new bike.
I thought you were saying there was a better display than the EVO that I didn't know about.

And I guess what confused me was the way Giant lists under "display" that the bikes come with the RideControl One. I hadn't realized that the RC One doesn't really "display" anything, in the sense that there's nothing but some status lights. I've never actually seen a RC One before. But... in the US, the 2020 models of the Revolt E+ Pro, Road E+1 Pro and Fastroad E+ EX Pro all come with the RideControl EVO. According to the Giant USA website. And the EVO is real nice and with it I have no need to ever use my phone as a display.

Cheers!

Evidently I just never looked at the 'road bikes'. The mere thought of being hunched over like that makes my back hurt. LOL

That E+0 Pro is quite the bike. They hung everything on that thing! I like the rear rack. And I'm really surprised it has the 'pro' motor and 500w pack. What I can't figure out is why they wouldn't bring a product like that to the USA. [shrug]

Those must have the larger cells in the pack - like the vid on the other thread. Seems to me that somewhere around 50 cells is the max that will fit in the various battery packs.

Certainly, these must be the 21700 cells there, as Giant maintains their EnergyPak Smart form factor. I think the Vado/Como 604 Wh batteries are also based on the 21700.

Ok, I ordered the Volspeed V2 and will give it a shot, we shall see !
The bike is a L frame hopefully I don't struggle as much fitting it in
Bear in mind, the real issue is to fit 4 more connectors in the confined space.
  1. Take as many photos as practical during dismantling your e-bike. These will help you understand what the original placing of the connectors and cables was.
  2. Place the Volspeed unit below the rear brake cable inside the battery chamber, near to the motor. (Precisely saying: between the frame and the cable). That's the only practical place where you can find the space. Secure the unit with a strong adhesive tape.
  3. You will need the special lockring remover tool (CyclusTools part number 7202781) to be able to remove the lockring before you can take the chainring off.
  4. Check if your cranks require the ISIS crank puller or the cranks are self-extracting. In the latter case, hard work with a 6 mm Allen key does (the rotation to loosen is normal, anti-clockwise).
Good luck!

P.S. You have been warned :)

There is always the mechanical option of speed derestricting. Planet3 offers a gear reduced magnet system that takes all of five minutes to install. I put it in my reign 1pro.
Works like a charm with two magnets and can hit speeds of 37km/h. You can use just one magnet and hit speeds around 55km/h but when in the four easiest gears it will throw a speed sensor code and occasionally looses power.

min interested to k is if anyone else out there notices thst when you hit a steeper hill, say 15 degrees plus, the bike actually reduces your power and forces you to an easier gear to maintain power...... Ive riddden two other companies equivalent ebikes and this is not the case with them. Wonder if it had anything to do with the three sensors the bike has???? Anyone else notice this?

The Planet3 seems to be a simple and viable option to "tune" Giant e-bikes. I like the fact the VolSpeed V2 "tuner" is already inside my Trance but I wouldn't wish anybody go through that ordeal themselves...

Regarding the behaviour of your Reign, I cannot say anything as I ordered replacing the RideControl One with the EVO on my Trance and that made the inclination sensor unused.

Back