GIANT RideControl App 2.0

Bummer, I updating the bike’s firmware via the new RideControl app fails at about 15%.
I’ve tried rebooting the phone (iPhone 11-Pro) and bike (Momentum Transend E+), but no luck.
I’ll keep using the old RideControl app until the glitch is sorted out. :-/
For what it’s worth, I just downloaded the app on my iPhone X (iOS 14.2) and I was able to successfully update the firmware on my 2021 Momentum Transend E+. After the firmware upgrade I was able to connect to Strava and I have the tuning capability. I’ll have to see how well it works on a ride tomorrow.

I tried the app, it started a firmware update and quickly failed. It seems to work as good as the old app. I hope they got a money back guarantee on the development work.

I tried it again today and for the first time I had 2 batteries with me, guess who forgot to stop the app when he changed batteries? 🤣 So remember if you are changing batteries, stop the app and save your ride before you make the switch and restart the app afterwards! The live map looks pretty good, I didn't get to check it properly as I don't have room on my handlebars to mount my phone, no doubt it will eat up the phone battery though...

Just put my battery back in for an autumn ride as it's getting warm enough to give it a go. Fired up the app and it wanted to upgrade. All done in 3 minutes without a hitch.

Time to layer up and head out. Online, it says 2C, but my outside house thermometers both indicate warmer. Today I'll be wearing black to maximize thermal absorption! Post ride comments later...

Android 7 on Moto G4
Nipped to the shops this pm, certainly feels smoother and quicker; the one noticeable hill breezed up in a fashion that made me think I should have given the ebike some hammer to see if I could beat my Strava KOM on it, was 5 secs slower without me really putting much effort in

Second impressions, after finally getting a ride in with the App.
I NEVER (OK, I tried it once) used the original while riding.

Issues, as I see them, in no specific order...
  1. It won't let me upload a personal picture - minor issue but sloppy programming
  2. Won't sync with Strava - Major issue and I've reported it to developer via Google Play Store
    Note - Strava lists who they accept data from, and it's reasonably extensive.
    Giant App is not listed when I checked yesterday. It could be an issue at Strava's end, but don't add a feature that isn't ready...
  3. Seems to hang at times, but was in fact still working - medium issue
  4. Date selection for birthday doesn't work correctly - who cares but indicates sloppy programming again.
    Who can't program a date function in 2020??
  5. I'm really not sure about the cadence measurement - may not be an issue
Wish list:

Allow you to choose what's displayed "larger" on screen when cycling.
I'd like to have some measurements larger for easier, on the fly view.

Has anyone found any instructions?

Feel free to top up...

Android 10 on Pixel Phone running on Google FI network. This is as generic as they make. Update went fine but updated 3-3 and the 4-4 before finished. Version 1.0.0. That's as far as I got for my 2020 Explore e+4

Last edited:
Evening all, I too have downloaded the new app on iOS 14.1 on iPhone XR with a quick-e 2019. App wants to update the software but crashes at 4% every time. Tried all the troubleshooting tips but to no avail. Guess we wait for v1.0.0.1 or beyond.

Downloaded to both my Xr and iPad Pro; happy to report no issues with download or connection to my 2020 Fastroad E+ EX Pro. No updates applied, they were all completed during my visit to giant retail store service department on 15th October.

Doesn’t appear to be an option to plan a route without being connected to the bike, and not sure whether you can plot waypoints or not ?

Back