GIANT RideControl App 2.0

My first day trying the app and it didn't go well but I think it was a bluetooth problem, the app said I only covered 41 miles but it was actually just over 50! Going forward I will only be using the app for updates and tuning anyway! Elevation gain was way off! 🤣

1603900356782.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201028-135103_RideControl.jpg
    Screenshot_20201028-135103_RideControl.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 315
I know a couple of users on EMTB forum said their data was a little off, but that was down to poor phone connectivity (phone in pocket), and hours later the data seemed to correct itself (although not the breadcrumb trail, presumably due to the GPS signal loss).

The weather is still a bit poopy here, but the weekend looks great and early next week even better. As such, I won't be testing the App until then. I'd really hoped for a real time cadence and power display, but I suspect I'll have to wait a bit longer.

I don't really want to hang another device on my bike - I really do prefer the minimalistic look of the RideControl ONE, but if the phone would display the cadence, I'd get a Quadlock or something like it. At the moment I just use a top-tube bag that holds my phone under a weatherproof cover.

20201002_133134.jpg

Ive been able to upgrade from Australia and it updated my bike software. Sadly this appears to have broken my speedbox so I will have to do some troubleshooting

"A Mouse Was Born By A Giant"

RideControl 2.0 is just a big disappointment for me. We've been waiting for a long time for something better...

Pros
  • The app works and doesn't hang or crash on Android 10
  • The ride distance is reported properly (it must be calculated from GPS readings, not from the speed sensor of the e-bike)
  • The speed readout matches the EVO display (more or less). Might be taken from the GPS.
Cons
In case you ever Pause the ride and then restart the ride:
  • The net ride time is reported incorrectly.
  • Cadence is not updated and stays at 0 during the ride
  • Battery % is not updated and it stays at the last figure before the pausing the ride
  • ODO is not updated after the pause/restart of the ride and stays at "-"
  • After the ride, only gross average speed is reported, not based on the net riding time.
  • After the ride "Connection lost" is reported even if no connection was lost either with the e-bike or the Internet.
  • Only three (3) battery charging cycles since August 2020?! Ha ha.
I don't mind. I use the EVO display. I am only sorry for the big number of Giant e-bike owners who only have got the RideControl One remote.

1603974961417.png

The data fields marked red are not being updated after the ride pause/restart and/or give wrong figures.

1603973756061.png

No connection was lost at the moment!

1603974027640.png

Just bullshit.

1603974200407.png

Endomondo app (I trust it). The net ride time was by 5 minutes shorter than reported by RC2. There's true Net Average Speed here, and maximum speed (based on GPS and Auto-Pause that works).

1603974385129.png
Giant EVO display matches Endomondo re the net ride time. RC2 doesn't. See also the true Battery % (92%) against the reported by RC2 (98%).

RideControl 2 is the same cr@p as the old RC 1. With minor differences.

Last edited:
For those who’ve not yet upgraded it looks as though you need to create a new account in either OS platform. And the password field won’t allow special characters, which is somewhat lax on the security front.

let’s hope Giant react to some of the feedback and continue to develop and fix some of the issues.

I’ll just be glad to be able to update software/firmware more easily.

Updated at last! Still that was not unproblematic as it stopped / lost the bike when the screen time out activated. Reset the time out longer and on the second attempt it worked. Also having the same distance figure showing km / miles.

Last edited:
Finally showed up in USA Apple App Store!

Easy to download, looks nice!

Would not accept email/password combo I used for old Ride Control app.

Password for new app must be at least 8-characters, upper & lower case letters and at least one digit, NO special characters (previous app accepted special characters).

Disappointed that previous rides from old app do not appear to import to new app.

Will try out app this weekend.

I got a response from the people at Speedbox and they said it changes the activation method. Instead of pressing walk you have to press walk then a second later press Up arrow. I'm going to test today.

Anybody know what the new 'power' bar means? Is it my effort? The bikes effort?

My bike will not update the bluetooth update, it fails at 99%

Bummer, I updating the bike’s firmware via the new RideControl app fails at about 15%.
I’ve tried rebooting the phone (iPhone 11-Pro) and bike (Momentum Transend E+), but no luck.
I’ll keep using the old RideControl app until the glitch is sorted out. :-/

I tested my 2020 Fathom today with the new and improved app.

yippee! This app actually works. It provides all of the basic information, did not freeze, will save your ride to view again later, shows assist levels, shows battery level and an estimate of distance with the current charge.

When the app was connected to my bike it actually went through 3 updates but there is no indication of what was updated. Perhaps the new app/ motor can only load up part of the app at a time then needs to start again?

anyway, for me it is working and we finally have a functioning app that compliments the bike.

Back