GIANT RideControl App 2.0

No point. A friend who is serious in programming has checked the sources outside the Play Store and tells me the June version is still the only available for my region. He thinks local Google office has to approve the app yet.

Like @DaveMatthews , it won't recognize my account. Interestingly, it lists this App as version 1.0.0 and that does not exactly instill confidence. Now to try to connect to the bike!

I just downloaded it, only found it by luck so I can't tell you exactly what to search for I'm afraid! I managed to connect it to my bike and the update failed at 27% on the first attempt but worked ok the second time and only took a few minutes! Strangely it says my odo mileage is 19021 miles but my actual mileage is just under 12000...:rolleyes: I might manage a ride tomorrow so I will see what it has to offer! The only real difference I have noticed so far is the odo reading, it did remove my service icon which has been showing for months so that is a plus point!;)

@Stefan Mikes It says app version 1.0.0.1 updated on 26 Oct 2020

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201027-184125_RideControl.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027-184125_RideControl.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 372
It links to Strava!! Overall first impressions are positive. Not sure I'll ride today but we'll see. It shows odometer properly, and shows my bike as stationary rather than 27KMH just sitting in the garage...

I just changed my settings to metric and it says 19021km now...tried changing it back to imperial and it still says 19021 miles....

Forgot to mention, it told me I needed to update my bike. I had to tell it 3 times to not do it now. It has stopped asking, but I have pulled the battery to bring it back inside (it's that time of the year here). If it asks again, I will advise here.

Thanks @DaveMatthews for the link!

Installed, connected first time, updated no issues. First logged ride still dropped out halfway through but I'll chalk that up to my phones background management. It held the connection the full ride.

First impressions are much more stable to connect and auto mode feels more buttery smooth. I'm not sure if that's a placebo or not.

Tentative thumbs up!

Thanks @DaveMatthews for the link!

Installed, connected first time, updated no issues. First logged ride still dropped out halfway through but I'll chalk that up to my phones background management. It held the connection the full ride.

First impressions are much more stable to connect and auto mode feels more buttery smooth. I'm not sure if that's a placebo or not.

Tentative thumbs up!
Thanks for the update! I've been buried in work today so didn't get a chance to test it out.
Maybe tomorrow.
Cheers mate!

A few more observations after the days commute:
  • So far it connects far better than its v1 predecessor
  • The cadence value on my EVO no longer reports decimal points. No biggie.
  • There's no option to display the clock on the EVO.
  • I didn't see a setting for SMS and call alerts either, unlike the old app. I didn't test this though.
  • The recorded rides don't measure the watt output.
  • As far as I can tell, auto is smoother to transition through the stages. Delay kicking in feels similar.
  • The bike now remembers the power setting last picked.
On the balance of it there's a few features to add in subsequent versions, but it feels like a more mature, stable and well thought out app.

There's no option to display the clock on the EVO.
This is the biggest issue for me. It stopped working with RC1 anyway as well.
I had issues with the app demanding bike update for several times even if the update has been actually completed.

Back