Giant 2020 ebikes?

You're in Montreal? Lake Placid ain't all that far away. I mentioned in this or another thread that we were in High Peaks Cyclery the other day and they have 2 Explore E small frames on the floor.

I am NOT associated in any way with the store, or any other store, for that matter, just wandered in after having breakfast across the street because, hey, why not?

If I am breaking a forum rule here someone please call me on it and I'll kill the post.

Thanks Dave. But buying from a dealer in the US is going to be prohibitively expensive. The bikes are charged a duty on entry to the US, and then if I buy one there, I'd be charged duty AGAIN when I bring the bike back into Canada. (Bikes for Canada enter directly into Canada, getting charged only the Canadian duty.) Not to mention the awful exchange rate currently in effect for the US vs Canadian dollar. But out of curiosity, I just checked their website... they don't list the Explore E+ 1 GTS, only the E+ 3. Was it the E+ 1 you saw in small?

But I do know High Peaks Cyclery. I've been there many times and bought many (small) items there.

I've finally located a 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS with small frame out in Alberta. They're currently trying to contact the owner to see if he'd be willing to ship it to Montreal. Initial response was no they wouldn't because of the restrictions of shipping lithium batteries. But that's not yet a final answer.

Well folks, wish me luck because...

I DID IT!!!!!

Found a 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS with small frame size in Edmonton Alberta (I'm in Montreal, Quebec) and I just sent the dealer money to confirm the sale. He's packing the bike up and I'm trying to arrange shipping from him to me. It's MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE than I had imagined to ship, but because I don't have to pay provincial tax (only the GST), the end cost to me is not that much more than if I'd bought the bike here in Quebec (and had to pay the GST of 5% plus the Quebec tax of 9.5% on top of the new total (tax on tax!).

I wasn't happy with the 2020 Giant e-bike offerings... the top Explore model we'll have in North America is the Explore E+ 2 GTS, with lower quality components than the current E+ 1 and much lower than the 2020 E+ 1 available in other parts of the world. And the new FastRoad E+ EX Pro was interesting, but I didn't really want the wider tires or a bike without front suspension and I really didn't want the smaller 375w battery. So the 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS really has everything I want, although it would have been nice to have the new 6-sensor technology. Plus I really wanted to have an e-bike for the rest of this riding season because winter comes quickly in Montreal.

And a shout out of thanks to @DaveMatthews for giving me the heads up about the bike's availability.

I DID IT!!!!!

Found a 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS with small frame size in Edmonton Alberta (I'm in Montreal, Quebec) and I just sent the dealer money to confirm the sale. He's packing the bike up and I'm trying to arrange shipping from him to me. It's MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE than I had imagined to ship, but because I don't have to pay provincial tax (only the GST), the end cost to me is not that much more than if I'd bought the bike here in Quebec (and had to pay the GST of 5% plus the Quebec tax of 9.5% on top of the new total (tax on tax!).

I wasn't happy with the 2020 Giant e-bike offerings... the top Explore model we'll have in North America is the Explore E+ 2 GTS, with lower quality components than the current E+ 1 and much lower than the 2020 E+ 1 available in other parts of the world. And the new FastRoad E+ EX Pro was interesting, but I didn't really want the wider tires or a bike without front suspension and I really didn't want the smaller 375w battery. So the 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS really has everything I want, although it would have been nice to have the new 6-sensor technology. Plus I really wanted to have an e-bike for the rest of this riding season because winter comes quickly in Montreal.

And a shout out of thanks to @DaveMatthews for giving me the heads up about the bike's availability.

Congrats ! You made the right choice. Did the dealer agreed to ship the battery across the country?

Congrats ! You made the right choice. Did the dealer agreed to ship the battery across the country?

I hope I made the right choice! :)

The dealer (owner this time and not an employee) said there was no problem shipping the battery as long as it wasn't by air. Getting the shipping arranged is turning out to be somewhat challenging and very expensive. The dealer insists I arrange for the shipping and all he'll do is pack the bike securely. I'm getting quotes of $385 right up to $600!!!! I'd never imagined that shipping a bike would be so expensive.

I DID IT!!!!!

Awesome!
Super glad to see you got what you wanted! Way to hunt that down!:cool:
What's the ETA?

Awesome!
Super glad to see you got what you wanted! Way to hunt that down!:cool:
What's the ETA?

It seems that Monday is a holiday in the rest of Canada so everyone will be closed. (No holiday here in Quebec.) So I'm arranging for pickup from the dealer on Tuesday and it's supposed to take 5-6 days to get to Montreal. Very unlikely, but I hope it'll arrive by Friday the 9th, so I could use it on the weekend. Plus my business (where it's being shipped to) is closed on Sundays and Mondays so it would be a problem if they try to deliver on a Monday. By the following week for sure though.

Congrats on finding the bike you wanted! The only thing that bothers me is the 20mph cutoff, which I start hitting when I'm in 8th or 9th gear. It actually starts dropping off around 18-19 mph.

I tried my friend's badassbox for a few days and it worked great, no cutoffs at all, and the motor easily handled the extra couple of mph that I would ride at using the high gears at a normal cadence. Because I have the RideControl One, I didn't see the mph difference (basically cut in half once you get above 14 mph). My friend said he bought his from an Australian seller on EBay. I'm still thinking about getting one, but it wouldn't make much of a difference on my short commute.

My front sprocket is a 42T, but looks like your bike's larger has a 48T front, so you'll probably hit the 20mph cutoff even sooner. If you're interested, you can plug in the numbers at https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence to see what the 20mph cutoffs will probably look like.

Really love the Explore as a bicycle, using Eco (Lev 3) going to work against the wind I use up around 8-10% in 5 miles and arrive with a slightly elevated heart rate and no sweat. Use the power sparingly on the way home only for starts, and use 1-3%. Arrive at home feeling and sweating like I just got a good workout.

Congrats on finding the bike you wanted! The only thing that bothers me is the 20mph cutoff, which I start hitting when I'm in 8th or 9th gear. It actually starts dropping off around 18-19 mph.

I tried my friend's badassbox for a few days and it worked great, no cutoffs at all, and the motor easily handled the extra couple of mph that I would ride at using the high gears at a normal cadence. Because I have the RideControl One, I didn't see the mph difference (basically cut in half once you get above 14 mph). My friend said he bought his from an Australian seller on EBay. I'm still thinking about getting one, but it wouldn't make much of a difference on my short commute.

My front sprocket is a 42T, but looks like your bike's larger has a 48T front, so you'll probably hit the 20mph cutoff even sooner. If you're interested, you can plug in the numbers at https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence to see what the 20mph cutoffs will probably look like.

Really love the Explore as a bicycle, using Eco (Lev 3) going to work against the wind I use up around 8-10% in 5 miles and arrive with a slightly elevated heart rate and no sweat. Use the power sparingly on the way home only for starts, and use 1-3%. Arrive at home feeling and sweating like I just got a good workout.

I'm concerned about the 32kph (20mph) cutoff as well. And I did hit that a few times on the Explore E+ 3 that I'd borrowed for a day.

Badassbox? I'm going to have to look into that. But there are other products (fairly expensive in my opinion) which also allow bypassing the speed limit. I'm going to try my bike when it arrives (should be shipped today, so I should see it by mid next week) for awhile first before I seriously look at increasing the speed. But if I go with something to do that, I'd want the option that lets the computer continue to report the actual speed and distance.

Not quite sure what you mean about seeing what 20mph cutoffs will probably look like... a cutoff at 20mph is a cutoff at 20mph, no matter what gear you're in. If you hit 20mph the assist cuts off. What am I missing?

Is your commute 5 miles, or more? Mine is about 19 miles (30km+) each way. With an acoustic bike I can do that without problem, ONE WAY. It's the going home at the end of a tough day, in high heat and humidity (unlike the early morning) and into a strong headwind that kills me. I'm hoping the e-bike will make that less of an issue.

I included the link so you could see what you can see what your cadence is when you hit the 20mph cutoff in each gear.

My commute is only 5 miles each way, relatively flat. I use Normal mode to limit the sweat, and then turn off the assist coming home to get a quick little workout in and burn more calories. Bike rides great in acoustic mode on the flats.

I DID IT!!!!!

I am also in Mtl. I just like Yamaha so i am interested by Giant. Maybe you can contact me for a ride and sharing. I often ride close to St-jérome, you?

I am also in Mtl. I just like Yamaha so i am interested by Giant. Maybe you can contact me for a ride and sharing. I often ride close to St-jérome, you?

Most of my riding with the e-bike will be commuting from Ile Bizard to the Decarie/Jean Talon area in town and then back home. But my girlfriend and I often drive somewhere and then ride for a couple of hours (on non-e-bikes).

Do you have an e-bike yet? Mine shipped yesterday from Edmonton and I should have it early next week.

I included the link so you could see what you can see what your cadence is when you hit the 20mph cutoff in each gear.

My commute is only 5 miles each way, relatively flat. I use Normal mode to limit the sweat, and then turn off the assist coming home to get a quick little workout in and burn more calories. Bike rides great in acoustic mode on the flats.

Thanks again!

I doubt I'd be hitting 20mph "in each gear". I've got fairly strong legs and my usual cadence is 85-95rpm, and I'm pretty steady at that. I just pick the appropriate gear that allows me to maintain that cadence, on the flat and up/down hills. On my clunker commuting bike, loaded with panniers, I seem to average almost 14 mph (22kph). And that's a route that has hills, a gravel section through a nature park, heavy traffic on surface streets and on the way home mostly a really strong headwind. With the e-bike I'm simply hoping to double my distance while keeping the same general effort.

Does anyone know if the Giant 2020 models already come with the new yamaha PW-XE and PW-ST motors, unfortunately due to Giant silly rebranding haven't been able to find that on their website?

I notice 2020 Giant Explore all models offer Giant PedalPlus 6-sensor technology, did anyone compared PedalPlus 4 VS 6? any noticeable improvements?

From what I remembered the difference seemed to mainly be it having an Auto assist mod, much like Bosch MTB system.

Which is nice to have on mountain bikes, but hardly a game changer for me personally, since I pretty much only have 3 of the 5 levels, level 1 is I am running out of battery mode, level 2 or 3 (depending on how lazy I am feeling) is normal most of the time mode, and level 5 is hard climb or I am going to the office and want to do as little effort as possible mode.

Essentially it is not something I would buy a new model for unless there was little to no price difference with the 2019 models.

Back