Giant 2020 ebikes?

I am a Giant dealer. I’ve been drooling over the new stuff for the last 48 hours!
good to hear, not sure whether to wait for the new bikes to come out (in the UK) or just buy a discounted 2019 bike. I'm after a Fathom E+ 2 29er and they seem to be selling out fast. If there is a new motor or battery pack then it might be worth waiting another couple of weeks, but if its just a new paint job, then I'll probably just get a discounted 2019 model.

So, without telling me if the new hardtail range is extra special, should I go for the discounted 2019 bike? ;)

wouldn't a model "x" be the same in every country where it's available?

No, the bike and motor/battery may be the same, but for example the 2018 Explore E+3 in Europe comes with fenders and a rack and is speed limited to 25kmh/15.5mph to be an EU EAPC/pedelec, but in the US the E+3 lacks those necessary commuting accessories but is set up as a US Class 1 20mph.

Last edited:
So far this is the only 2020 ebike posted to Giant USA website :
2020 EXPLORE E+ 4 GTS
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/explore-eplus-4-gts-2020
MY20ExploreE+4GTS_ColorA.jpg

Last edited:
That USA link for the E+ 4 GTS lists contradictory information. In the descriptive paragraph at the top, it says it has RideControl EVO, plus a 500w battery, but in the detailed specs section it says RideControl One and 400w battery. SIGH

Interesting though that they've changed the brakes from the 1, 2 and 3, and also that there's now -6-sensor technology instead of 4. I wonder what difference that will make.

I want a bike with RideControl EVO and 500w battery (and fenders and rear rack). Guess I'm going to have to wait and see what the new models really will offer.

Last edited:
What is special about RideControl EVO?

Well, the RideControl ONE has no display at all. You've got to connect your phone to get a display. At least that's what the Giant website seems to imply. RideControl Charge and EVO both have displays and the EVO is somewhat more feature-filled and the display looks more robust. My understanding is that this is their top display. (And as a gadget nut, I'd really prefer that one.)

That USA link for the E+ 4 GTS lists contradictory information. In the descriptive paragraph at the top, it says it has RideControl EVO, plus a 500w battery, but in the detailed specs section it says RideControl One and 400w battery. SIGH

Interesting though that they've changed the brakes from the 1, 2 and 3, and also that there's now -6-sensor technology instead of 4. I wonder what difference that will make.

I want a bike with RideControl EVO and 500w battery (and fenders and rear rack). Guess I'm going to have to wait and see what the new models really will offer.

USA link is probably listing info for E+ 2 model .
Are these 20 mph limit ?

Well, the RideControl ONE has no display at all. You've got to connect your phone to get a display. At least that's what the Giant website seems to imply. RideControl Charge and EVO both have displays and the EVO is somewhat more feature-filled and the display looks more robust. My understanding is that this is their top display. (And as a gadget nut, I'd really prefer that one.)
I have RideControl ONE, and yes, a smartphone is required to see battery/speed etc. I don't miss it on my Fathom E+2

Caved in today and bought the 2020 E2 bike. Only had a 20km ride home from the shop but so far it's been awesome!

Love this bike any chance this will come to the USA? My local Giant dealer just has the E+4 which is a very basic model. Would rather have the +E2 with fenders, bigger battery and display.

Love this bike any chance this will come to the USA? My local Giant dealer just has the E+4 which is a very basic model. Would rather have the +E2 with fenders, bigger battery and display.

I find this hard to understand... how can anyone have bought (or even seen) the 2020 Explore E+ 2 when not a single Giant web site (UK, USA, Canada, Australia) shows any info at all about this bike? And Canada specific, my local Giant dealer has NO information yet about any of the 2020 Giant e-bikes.

I'd love to know what the specs are for the 2020 Explore E+ 2 and also the ToughRoad E+.

I'm as anxious as a kid at Christmas.

@Mtl_Biker I live in Toronto. I used to commute on Trek Fx3. I was looking to upgrade to gravel e bike. After extensive research, I finalized to buy ToughRoad E+ but when I talked to local giant dealer realized that they will soon be releasing 2020 models and unfortunately Toughroad E+ will be discontinued. But the good news is they will be releasing 2020 Revolt e pro gravel e bike which will be perfect upgrade. I preordered the bike to avail 10% discount. I havent heard any news or specs about the bike but they said it would be very similar ToughRoad E+. Even I am anxious like you!

@Mtl_Biker I live in Toronto. I used to commute on Trek Fx3. I was looking to upgrade to gravel e bike. After extensive research, I finalized to buy ToughRoad E+ but when I talked to local giant dealer realized that they will soon be releasing 2020 models and unfortunately Toughroad E+ will be discontinued. But the good news is they will be releasing 2020 Revolt e pro gravel e bike which will be perfect upgrade. I preordered the bike to avail 10% discount. I havent heard any news or specs about the bike but they said it would be very similar ToughRoad E+. Even I am anxious like you!

Oh... I'm afraid that the Revolt e-pro gravel might be in a whole different price range. The top of my budget would be about what the ToughRoad E+ is, and it would be very hard for me to manage more.

I don't need a bike for pure gravel anyway... my commute is mostly paved roads with only about 1 km through a nature park with nice gravel.

How (and when) did you find out the ToughRoad was going to be discontinued in 2020? My dealer JUST got the 2020 info overnight in an email from Giant, and he hasn't gone through it yet. I just spoke with him on the phone.

How long is your commute? And have you ridden any e-bikes yet? My dealer lent me an Explore E+ 3 for a day and I was very impressed (see my review here), even though what I'd be looking at would be a higher model.

And is the 10% specific to your dealer do you know, or something being offered through Giant?

Funny that Italy has the info... as I said, none of the other countries I checked had anything. But again the specs are messed up... the descriptive paragraph at the top of the page says it's got RideControl EVO, but further down in the full specs, it says RideControl Charge. So, what's it really got?

Looks nice though... rear rack, fenders, lights. 6-sensor technology (if the spec is correct).

But wow!!... According to that site, there will be an Explore E+1... similar to the E+2 but with upgraded components like levers, hubs, chain, sprocket set, etc. etc. Looks really good!!!

Last edited:
Your dealer will likely have all the 2020 models in their computers with pictures already. They're just not on the customer facing website yet.
That's the way it was last year at this time when I bought my Fathom.

Your dealer will likely have all the 2020 models in their computers with pictures already. They're just not on the customer facing website yet.
That's the way it was last year at this time when I bought my Fathom.

Spoke to my dealer this morning (my girlfriend is also buying a bike from him but not an e-bike) and he said that he'd JUST received all the info overnight but hadn't gone through it yet. He said he'd forward the interesting stuff to me later (hopefully today). It seems that not all countries get the data released at the same time.

Back