Get a good helmet, and wear it.

Well, you could trip and fall walking also, but people don't wear helmets walking on the sidewalk and they don't wear helmets driving in their cars. I do wear a helmet when cycling, but there is an argument that requiring helmets will discourage new bicycle commuters because they would rather take the car than put on a helmet and mess their hair up. Cars are the biggest danger to cyclists and a helmet isn't going to help much if a 3000lb car hits you at 30mph.
That is what the Belgians say. However they have the best and most cycling infrastructure I have ever used in any country, Netherlands included. Nearly all cycling lanes, roads are isolated from vehicle traffic.

Their helmet use is at most maybe 5% of riders (e-bikes & analog).

Personally, I always wear a helmet when using my e-bike but only sporadically when using my analog bikes.

Last edited:
I’ve got no problem with helmets and I wear one whenever I ride but I wish they made one that fits my head properly. I’ve yet to see one made for an oval shaped head. The result is it sits too high and probably doesn’t protect me unless I fell directly on top of my head.

I’ve got no problem with helmets and I wear one whenever I ride but I wish they made one that fits my head properly. I’ve yet to see one made for an oval shaped head. The result is it sits too high and probably doesn’t protect me unless I fell directly on top of my head.
Have you tried the POC helmets with the fit adjustment wheel in the back? You put it on loose and then when you tighten the wheel it snugs down on the back of your skull.

Bottom line, is spend the money on a MIPS or WaveCell helmet, and wear it.
I’m yet to be convinced about either of those technologies offering more safety than traditional helmets. If they did it wouldn’t be a “premium” product but more something that has been universally adopted across a manufacturer’s entire line. As well it would be adopted by a majority of motorcycle helmet manufacturers. And recently SNELL foundation found no benefits.

A month ago, I watched my wife fall off her bike, standing still in our driveway. It was a soft roll onto her back, but there was an audible bonk as the back of her helmet hit the asphalt. Lasting damage to date is a knee that's a little sore.

I’m yet to be convinced about either of those technologies offering more safety than traditional helmets. If they did it wouldn’t be a “premium” product but more something that has been universally adopted across a manufacturer’s entire line. As well it would be adopted by a majority of motorcycle helmet manufacturers. And recently SNELL foundation found no benefits.
this theory has some credibility.
if MIPS were exponentially better that prevailing technologies wouldn’t multiple “safety warrior” organizations bud petitioning to make it a mandate, an industry standard, etc?

this theory has some credibility.
if MIPS were exponentially better that prevailing technologies wouldn’t multiple “safety warrior” organizations bud petitioning to make it a mandate, an industry standard, etc?
I think that's exactly what it is... In theory.
I'm sure they can provide some graphics measured on a bench test that can prove that it does work.. but in the real world those benefits are negligible. Your brain inside your skull is moving at the speed of your bicycle and I don't believe MIPS can slow it down faster then the tree you hit will no matter how many millimeters the padding compensates at impact.
Still it ain't no worse then a regular helmet which is protecting your skull... so go for it as it'll give you another reason to talk during group rides.

A month ago, I watched my wife fall off her bike, standing still in our driveway. It was a soft roll onto her back, but there was an audible bonk as the back of her helmet hit the asphalt. Lasting damage to date is a knee that's a little sore.
Me too. I fell last year. Only bribing but a knob on the back of my head. A former sans helmet rider now wears a safety yellow colored bike helmet.

I’m now thinking about not riding in shorts. My deep road rash was treated at a local clinic. They gifted me with MRCA. A highly contagious staph infection. What fun. Add a bleeder to the mix.

I was wearing armored Mechanix’s gloves. Thank goodness.

I won’t share the pix covered mess it was for 10 days.
3C16936C-86DD-4A84-A263-0B1B439D3F26.png

CF7FA28B-F714-4DBA-8F9A-E1E109AD7C8B.jpeg

I don't get all the crashes on this forum. Older guys with balance problems ? I have never fallen off my bike except for one time when I thought winter riding was a good idea. Some people need helmets. And maybe, body armor.
Riding a path I take 3-5x/wk, morning after overnight rains; descending decreasing radius blind right-hand turn that I always slow way down for had debris washed onto path just past the apex. Started to skid, almost caught it when weight of e-bike - 60 lbs - took me down. Major road rash, 3 stitches to right knee, helmet cracked. I had a med kit with me, after 4 pads got bleeding stopped enough to tape last pad in place, straighten out handlebars and head home - ca 7 miles. Because deepest cut was on front of knee just below kneecap I couldn't pedal without blood spurting out, so rode the throttle all the way home. Glad I had helmet, med kit and throttle. 78, but no balance problems.

@Bobsiii

Good to hear you were able to walk/ride away from that. I had to be ambulanced out to ER.

Mine wasn't a balance problem either, accidents usually happen at no fault of your own, that's why it's called an accident. It's also why we have seat belts and airbags.

Riding a path I take 3-5x/wk, morning after overnight rains; descending decreasing radius blind right-hand turn that I always slow way down for had debris washed onto path just past the apex. Started to skid, almost caught it when weight of e-bike - 60 lbs - took me down. Major road rash, 3 stitches to right knee, helmet cracked. I had a med kit with me, after 4 pads got bleeding stopped enough to tape last pad in place, straighten out handlebars and head home - ca 7 miles. Because deepest cut was on front of knee just below kneecap I couldn't pedal without blood spurting out, so rode the throttle all the way home. Glad I had helmet, med kit and throttle. 78, but no balance problems.
And glad to have a throttle no doubt.

@Bobsiii

Good to hear you were able to walk/ride away from that. I had to be ambulanced out to ER.

Mine wasn't a balance problem either, accidents usually happen at no fault of your own, that's why it's called an accident. It's also why we have seat belts and airbags.
I always get an argument when I say there are no accidents. For me and 55 years of driving and riding a close introspective reveal finds something I could learn and change. Mine was due to a funky fork angle and not paying close attention.

Back