Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

Thanks for the link. Kyle quickly states that the MD 1000 Rohloff is a prototype and he cannot sell them. That model includes the new CANBuss controller and I was told by Leili that the MD 1000 Rohloff I had on order "can not be "unlocked". These bikes used to use the same Banang Ultra motor so now to allow unlocking, the MD 750 must be using a different motor. Perhaps it is the prior generation Ultra UART based motor??? The other notable point is that unlocking the Ultra on the previous generations meant no limit and based upon Kyles own testing the bikes could exceed 40mph "unlocked". Now it appears to be a 28mph ceiling.

It would be nice if someone in the know would just say what is going on. Perhaps there are more details in the Bafang Threads here. I no longer have skin in this game so I'm not motivated to research but if I still had one on order, I'd want to know the details of what appears to be a pretty muddled situation.

Thanks for the link. Kyle quickly states that the MD 1000 Rohloff is a prototype and he cannot sell them. That model includes the new CANBuss controller and I was told by Leili that the MD 1000 Rohloff I had on order "can not be "unlocked". These bikes used to use the same Banang Ultra motor so now to allow unlocking, the MD 750 must be using a different motor. Perhaps it is the prior generation Ultra UART based motor??? The other notable point is that unlocking the Ultra on the previous generations meant no limit and based upon Kyles own testing the bikes could exceed 40mph "unlocked". Now it appears to be a 28mph ceiling.

It would be nice if someone in the know would just say what is going on. Perhaps there are more details in the Bafang Threads here. I no longer have skin in this game so I'm not motivated to research but if I still had one on order, I'd want to know the details of what appears to be a pretty muddled situation.
I once came across some information which suggested that dealers (maybe some more than others) have access to special programming from Bafang which can unlock and tune these motors specially. I don't know what it takes, but the same way they are locked, they can be unlocked.

I once came across some information which suggested that dealers (maybe some more than others) have access to special programming from Bafang which can unlock and tune these motors specially. I don't know what it takes, but the same way they are locked, they can be unlocked.
From what I could gather you purchase the BESST tool online and use that to update.

Bafang later on initiated a logon to the Bafang servers before you could amend the settings on your own. There is a python script on GitHub that bypasses that. Then you can amend the top speed.

If I ever receive the damn bike (which is looking less likely everyday) I will gladly purchase it and see if I can change the top speed over 28mph.

From what I could gather you purchase the BESST tool online and use that to update.

Bafang later on initiated a logon to the Bafang servers before you could amend the settings on your own. There is a python script on GitHub that bypasses that. Then you can amend the top speed.

If I ever receive the damn bike (which is looking less likely everyday) I will gladly purchase it and see if I can change the top speed over 28mph.
Worth a try.

It only talks about unlocking the 750...is the 1000 the same?..i was looking to order one .that is making me have second thoughts

I have a MD 1000 on order. It just shipped and today I received my tracking number. When I go to track it the info is all in Chinese with no way to turn on English. But, I brought up the issue of "speed limiting" and she (Cindy) said this one is not. If I understood her correctly, Bikonit orders them locked at 20 mph. I will be using it mostly in hunting scenarios on private land. Speed is not a big issue (torque is) but I was curious as to what they would say. I have used Alibaba for quite a bit of packaging equipment for my company and shipping and communication barriers go with it.

I have a MD 1000 on order. It just shipped and today I received my tracking number. When I go to track it the info is all in Chinese with no way to turn on English. But, I brought up the issue of "speed limiting" and she (Cindy) said this one is not. If I understood her correctly, Bikonit orders them locked at 20 mph. I will be using it mostly in hunting scenarios on private land. Speed is not a big issue (torque is) but I was curious as to what they would say. I have used Alibaba for quite a bit of packaging equipment for my company and shipping and communication barriers go with it.

Is the tracking website 47.107.87.100:8888/WebTrack?action=list
I just click on the aA In the safari bar and click on translate to English.

I hope you have better luck than me as I am still waiting for the bike for half a year after it was shipped in July.

Thanks for the tip.. Wow, I hope it is not 6-7 months and I hope your bike gets delivered soon. Now that I can read the notation, it gives me the date it left the distribution center than (1 week later) it says "shipment information has been sent to FedEx". Maybe its coming by air???

Thanks for the tip.. Wow, I hope it is not 6-7 months and I hope your bike gets delivered soon. Now that I can read the notation, it gives me the date it left the distribution center than (1 week later) it says "shipment information has been sent to FedEx". Maybe its coming by air???
I didn’t mean to worry you as your bike will be delivered fine by FedEx.

My problems started when the container with the bike in it entered the Port of Felixstowe.

The last message I have had on Saturday is the following:- The agent said that the information has been submitted to the British Customs for review, and if it is released quickly, it will be delivered next week to see if it can still communicate with the customer.

How has it been in customs for nearly 3 months is unbelievable to me as there is an £80 per day fee and someone has to pay it.

I didn’t mean to worry you as your bike will be delivered fine by FedEx.

My problems started when the container with the bike in it entered the Port of Felixstowe.

The last message I have had on Saturday is the following:- The agent said that the information has been submitted to the British Customs for review, and if it is released quickly, it will be delivered next week to see if it can still communicate with the customer.

How has it been in customs for nearly 3 months is unbelievable to me as there is an £80 per day fee and someone has to pay it.
Hey, hey, hey... it could happen!

Hey, hey, hey... it could happen!

Yes and just to let any prospective buyers know that none of it is Leil’s fault as they have been great the whole way and have forwarded all the information they receive from the shipper.

They have sent me the latest information that customs waiting for purchase orders and proof of payment before finally releasing the container in January.

I'm loving my MD1000 with the Rohloff. It was worth the wait. (In my case ordered April 2021 delivered October 2021). I'd like to know if anyone has replaced their stems and can make any recommendations.
For those of you that are discussing the speed limitations, mine came with a fixed limit of 37.5 MPH and wheel size 29", neither of which can be changed in any of the different menus.

J'adore mon MD1000 avec le Rohloff. Cela valait la peine d'attendre. (Dans mon cas, commandé en avril 2021 livré en octobre 2021). J'aimerais savoir si quelqu'un a remplacé ses tiges et peut faire des recommandations.
Pour ceux d'entre vous qui discutent des limitations de vitesse, le mien est venu avec une limite fixe de 37,5 MPH et une taille de roue de 29", qui ne peuvent être modifiées dans aucun des différents menus.
Exactement comme le mien quand je l'ai reçu

Hey RMK Leili was telling me the max speed on the 1000 watt which I ordered and is now shipped is set at 55 kph or 34 mph. This is fine for me, not looking to go any faster.

Last edited:
Hey RMK Leili was telling me the max speed on the 1000 watt which I ordered and is now shipped is set at 55 kph or 34 mph. This is fine for me, not looking to go any faster.
That is good and had I know that I probably wouldn't have cancelled my order. Actually, I'm very happy with my alternative bike and so it all worked out well for me. This whole episode points out some dangers in factory direct buying like poor engineering vetting (Sturmey Archer IGH), motor controller changes (UART to CANBuss) and perhaps the most important issue is the lack of reliable documentation and communication from the manufacturer. When it all goes smoothly, it is a good way to get bang for buck but in these especially difficult times, there are many potential snags.

I don't regret buying an MD 1000 because I am a person who has made ebikes a hobby. I have purchased 11 ebikes since 2019 and all but 2 of them were made during the Pandemic. I don't mind working through problems and doing my own maintenance, but for folks who just want to buy and ride there are better options. I say it a lot but Caveat Emptor should be the guiding principle.

Can anyone guide me on how to unlock an ultra motor with the uart programming
I bought the USB controller cable and was never able to get it to work. There are threads in the Bafang section of the Forum that provide more details but I found it was not a simple process of plug and play. Good luck ...

New Wart Hog owner and member here, from Western NV, I'll have my WH here tomorrow,
I got the MD750 model. I want to use it as a hunting bike/pack mule with a trailer,
I am getting to OLD (75) to pack out meat on my back anymore,
and I have been rode hard and put away wet, as they say.....LOL.

I tried to get over to the Bolton's, but we had a serious snow fall,
and I didn't feel like going thru that Rodeo driving over the hill for a test ride.

As soon as the Beast arrives, I'll post more info etc.
I have just finished reading ALL 83pg's of info, Thanks for the info/facts.
Tia,
Don

Can anyone guide me on how to unlock an ultra motor with the uart programming
+

Back