Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

I finally found were to get the cable with the right connector for the taillight, if you're interested it's at greenbikekit, it turns out they're quite well equipped in parts for the G510.
For those who may not know it by opening the the panel where the wiring is located there are two blue connectors, one is already connected to the headlight and the other one is for the taillight and you'll need an extension cable long enough to connect it. You can always remove the blue connector and extend the wires yourself but that wouldn't be as clean as a job.

Attachments

• 20210527_224852.jpg
    20210527_224852.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 195
  • 20210527_225445.jpg
    20210527_225445.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 176
So I got my IGH - chain and cassette change over finished today. It was quite easy to change out and set the new stuff up and it performed like a charm first time out! I did a 30ish mile trip mostly flat pavement @ mostly 10-15 mph with a few 30-35mph spurts! The only problem is I think it’s 5th gear that is jumping the odd time but that’s just adjusting the “H” or “L” screw a little to fix it. Easy enough. I’ll fix that tomorrow. Even with that it’s a “night and day” difference to the IGH! I like my bike again! Lol

I did it over two days, probably about 4-5 hours all in from start to finished ready to ride bike. The Sram system seems to be perfect. If it keeps working like it did today then I’ll be happy. It also seems like it’ll be very easy to maintain and adjust if needed. Fingers crossed!! 🙂

So I got my IGH - chain and cassette change over finished today. It was quite easy to change out and set the new stuff up and it performed like a charm first time out! I did a 30ish mile trip mostly flat pavement @ mostly 10-15 mph with a few 30-35mph spurts! The only problem is I think it’s 5th gear that is jumping the odd time but that’s just adjusting the “H” or “L” screw a little to fix it. Easy enough. I’ll fix that tomorrow. Even with that it’s a “night and day” difference to the IGH! I like my bike again! Lol

I did it over two days, probably about 4-5 hours all in from start to finished ready to ride bike. The Sram system seems to be perfect. If it keeps working like it did today then I’ll be happy. It also seems like it’ll be very easy to maintain and adjust if needed. Fingers crossed!! 🙂
That mirrors my experience and I'm glad you are back in the saddle. It is obvious that the Sturmey Archer 5 speed IGH is not suitable for ebikes. I was warned and stubbornly refused to heed the warning and paid the price. At least I developed a riding style that allowed me to put over 2K miles on the SA before dumping it.

I have a new bike now and it has the Rohloff E14/chain drivetrain. After 400 miles, it is silent and has performed flawlessly as it should considering the price delta. It doesn't hurt that my experience with the SA IGH gave me the riding skills to avoid abusing the new bikes IGH.

I will say that anyone with an SA IGH equipped MD 1000 should really take advantage of the SRAM upgrade. It is not if the SA IGH will fail, it's when ... The $400 upgrade cost may be painful, but the peace of mind and performance advantages will be obvious.

That mirrors my experience and I'm glad you are back in the saddle. It is obvious that the Sturmey Archer 5 speed IGH is not suitable for ebikes. I was warned and stubbornly refused to heed the warning and paid the price. At least I developed a riding style that allowed me to put over 2K miles on the SA before dumping it.

I have a new bike now and it has the Rohloff E14/chain drivetrain. After 400 miles, it is silent and has performed flawlessly as it should considering the price delta. It doesn't hurt that my experience with the SA IGH gave me the riding skills to avoid abusing the new bikes IGH.

I will say that anyone with an SA IGH equipped MD 1000 should really take advantage of the SRAM upgrade. It is not if the SA IGH will fail, it's when ... The $400 upgrade cost may be painful, but the peace of mind and performance advantages will be obvious.
I broke 2 Sturmey archer 5 speed IGH... what a disaster.... Not only did gear 4 & 5 break on both, but the bolt that runs through the middle snapped in half on both... I finally upgraded my bike to use the Rohloff 500/14 xl and it works like a dream now.

Thankfully the dropouts on the warthog are removable. It made widening them to 9.1mm to fit the Rohloff hub very easy with me drill press....

I broke 2 Sturmey archer 5 speed IGH... what a disaster.... Not only did gear 4 & 5 break on both, but the bolt that runs through the middle snapped in half on both... I finally upgraded my bike to use the Rohloff 500/14 xl and it works like a dream now.

Thankfully the dropouts on the warthog are removable. It made widening them to 9.1mm to fit the Rohloff hub very easy with me drill press....

That ^, is taking the bull by the horns .... well done!

The Rohloff is in another league and apparently they will be offering that IGH on the Bikonit and Factory direct MD 1000's. I have to say, for the Ultra motor, I think the SRAM is a very good choice. It's $2K cheaper and much easier to repair/replace.

Nice one on the upgrade buddy.

I think one thing we’ve learned from this fiasco is the IGH isn’t for big power applications! I’m sure it’s fine for normal bikes and probably like 250w, maybe even up to 500w!

DEFO NOT 1000W!!

There have been a couple “what you’d expect” breakages, but so many IGH issues sucks we all lost wedge on it. That’s the chance you take doing business with Chinese companies.

I hope we all get plenty more carefree miles on the clock from here on in! 🙂

That ^, is taking the bull by the horns .... well done!

The Rohloff is in another league and apparently they will be offering that IGH on the Bikonit and Factory direct MD 1000's. I have to say, for the Ultra motor, I think the SRAM is a very good choice. It's $2K cheaper and much easier to repair/replace.

Thanks! I had that same thought, but I didn't want to give up on the concept of IGH...

Even though I am satisfied with the SRAM drive system please keep us up to date with your Rohloff, I think we're all curious to see how it behaves with the G510.

So I was out on a bit of a trail tonight that has a mega steep hill just as you turn into it. You can either go straight up or zig zag a much easier longer route up the side. I got to about 150 yards from the top with the IGH before it packed up and quit all together, like cut out!! Tonight with the Sram set up I cleared the whole hill and also the half a dozen steps right at the top and It still had a bit more too give. So I can confidently say the Sram set up gives the bike much more climbing ability! 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, did anyone add the Production Monitoring & Inspection Services with their Trade Assurances order. Is it necessary?

Back