Garmin Edge (or Wahoo Elemnt Roam) and Specialized Turbo e-bikes [RESOLVED]

The other solution is to get a pair of gloves that works on your phone touchscreen. They make them for that purpose

A nice try, Camasonian, but no, thank you. I own a collection of winter gloves, and each pair is made for specific temperature range and different type of condensation. Most of the gloves I own include water resistant and wind resistant membrane, and that makes them inappropriate for operating the touch screen. (Think of "turtle" style gloves for the frost). E-bikes ride fast, and it adds to the cooling effect in the winter. I often carry a spare pair of gloves in a water-resistant pannier in case my first pair soaked.

The great thing about the Wahoo computer is the three main buttons are so large and solid; I've already operated them in gloves to my highest satisfaction.

The latest report:
Wahoo ELEMNT Roam has found the shortest route between the place I live now and my favourite shopping mall: 15.00 km round trip. It has never been so short before!

1633657025722.png

1633657076243.png

No issues yesterday. The perfect Wheel Circumference calibrated for my Vado SL 37-622 tyres has been 2155 mm.

I used no Auto-Pause (Manual Pause only). Interestingly, BLEvo believed I spent 30 seconds more on the trip.

The latest report:
Wahoo ELEMNT Roam has found the shortest route between the place I live now and my favourite shopping mall: 15.00 km round trip. It has never been so short before!

View attachment 102602
View attachment 102603

No issues yesterday. The perfect Wheel Circumference calibrated for my Vado SL 37-622 tyres has been 2155 mm.

I used no Auto-Pause (Manual Pause only). Interestingly, BLEvo believed I spent 30 seconds more on the trip.

Blevo missed today's ride completely. I know I started it and it had the bike!!!!

Interesting video.

Sorry kahn to hear about your bad experience. BLEvo has always worked for me...

The information that might be interesting to some users:
Neither Edge nor ELEMNT support Live Strava Segments if the segment has been defined as E-Bike Ride Segment in Strava. Simply, nobody in Garmin or Wahoo realized that it is not only Ride (bike) segment type in Strava but also E-Bike Ride.

It could be cured by modifying a single line of code. I can bet that won't be done as both corporations are simply too big to take care.

I opened a technical support ticket with Wahoo Fitness and am sure what answer I will get....

Additional information:
There is a known glitch of the Wahoo ELEMNT Roam: If the stop takes a long time, the ELEMNT might lose the connection with the e-bike "sensor". Restarting the motor won't help: The user has to restart the ELEMNT. Fortunately, the current ride will be restored. Downside: The ELEMNT restart and the ride recovery take some time.

It is not possible to restart a Garmin Edge during the ride but I have not heard about losing the sensor connection by the Edge on a ride and during any stops.
Try pushing the on/off button briefly(not long enough to turn it off), I seem to remember mine reconnecting.

For anyone interested: Currently, neither Garmin Edge nor Wahoo ELEMNT support Live Strava E-Bike Segments.
It is because even if Strava supports E-Bike Segments, it does not support E-Bike Live Segments.

Last edited:
Try pushing the on/off button briefly(not long enough to turn it off), I seem to remember mine reconnecting.
It's not just Wahoo. On my Garmin if I start navigation and riding before turning on the bike it wouldn't connect to the Creo. I display 3s rider power and e-battery. I restarted my navigation at a rest stop and it connected and then also re-connected after a coffee break where the Creo shut down due to inactivity.

It's not just Wahoo. On my Garmin if I start navigation and riding before turning on the bike it wouldn't connect to the Creo. I display 3s rider power and e-battery. I restarted my navigation at a rest stop and it connected and then also re-connected after a coffee break where the Creo shut down due to inactivity.
Now you guys tell me: Is it better to keep the Auto-Pause on and risk losing the ride data because of the e-bike disconnection or only use the Manual Pause and risk you'll forget operating it?

Now you guys tell me: Is it better to keep the Auto-Pause on and risk losing the ride data because of the e-bike disconnection or only use the Manual Pause and risk you'll forget operating it?
The Wahoo searches for sensors when you turn it, so the bike needs be on first. Last summer I was going on long rides and at rest stops the Wahoo would stop recording ebike data. I could get the unit to reconnect by briefly pushing the on/off button. It would scan again and reconnect with the bike, no data lost.

The Wahoo searches for sensors when you turn it, so the bike needs be on first. Last summer I was going on long rides and at rest stops the Wahoo would stop recording ebike data. I could get the unit to reconnect by briefly pushing the on/off button. It would scan again and reconnect with the bike, no data lost.
It is a good advice!

The latest report:

View attachment 102602
View attachment 102603

How do you perform the "perfect Wheel Circumference calibration"? The chart and the data on my Tero are different/

How do you perform the "perfect Wheel Circumference calibration"? The chart and the data on my Tero are different/
According to the Tire Size Calculator, your 29x2.35" wheels would have the circumference of 2326 mm or 91.57 in. Enter that value as Custom Wheel Circumference in Wahoo. Now, you need to go on several longer rides. You might notice the distance as given by Wahoo differs from the value as given by the Mastermind TCD. That's because only your LBS would know what default WhC was entered by Spec for your Tero. (Mission Control value of WhC might be totally wrong and not reflect any actual value!)

If you can do it, export the ride data from Wahoo to Strava. Open your training data in Strava on a computer. Click on this icon there:
1641192992545.png

then select "Correct distance". Put down the figures before and after the correction on paper. (You can later use "Revert distance" in Strava). The discrepancy between Wahoo and Strava data will give you an idea how much wrong the Wheel Circumference entered in Wahoo had been. (It is the trial-and-error process).

Eventually (that is, after finding the perfect WhC value) you can visit your LBS and ask them to set the internal value of WhC to the figure you have found. That will make the Mastermind TCD display totally correct values for speed and distance, too.

Back