Future Cruiser owner

teskow

I just put my order in for the new Sondors Cruiser this afternoon. It is kind of dicey ordering a bike that doesn't even have any reviews yet. Especially with a distant projected Feb. delivery date. With luck that will happen.
If anyone out there who has owned Sondors bikes can give me a bit of optimistic support it would be appreciated.
I now own a fat tire Juiced RipCurrent that is and has been a very fine unit so it will be fun comparing the two in spite of them being two different beasts. One a hub drive and the other a mid-drive with the same brand motors and both 750 watt motors.

Be sure to make an account with Sondors and subscribe to their emails. Every Friday they put out short videos about the Elite line up. Last Friday was the LX. This Friday it should be about the Cruiser. I have an LX for January so I plan on putting my impressions up on here once it comes in. I will note though that this is my first ebike purchase so my review should be taken with a grain of salt.

The Rockstar sounds like a great bike and a great value to be sure. The reason I didn't buy it is because it isn't a step through and at my age that is getting to be an important feature. It isn't getting any easier to throw my leg over the RipCurrent I now have. Maybe just maybe I can get the wife to ride with me with the step through feature. If that happens I will keep them both. Not holding my breath on that happening.

The Rockstar sounds like a great bike and a great value to be sure. The reason I didn't buy it is because it isn't a step through and at my age that is getting to be an important feature. It isn't getting any easier to throw my leg over the RipCurrent I now have. Maybe just maybe I can get the wife to ride with me with the step through feature. If that happens I will keep them both. Not holding my breath on that happening.
The Cruiser looks great too! I cant wait to see the Fall Sonders rollout when it happens...

Does anyone know if the Ultra used in the Sonders Rockstars and Cruiser share the same controller as the Frey CC?

Their website does not specifically state amp rating for controller. If it is indeed running 1kw nominal then I doubt it's the same controller. I do know for a fact the PAS tuning is custom for Sondors but that's just software tweaking.

Seeing just purchased one of these machines tell us what your concerns might be please. It is the reason I asked for opinions.

I’d have more concerns than just no reviews.

Your post had a lot more meat in it last night lol. There is a ton of validity behind "not buying the first year of a new product". With that being said, while these bikes are new, their components have all been around for a while now. Is there still a risk? Sure. Is it the same risk for those that bought the Originals back in 2015? No. The company has grown, they have fixed their short comings with regards to warranty, and appear to be improving in other areas of their business too.

With all that being said, myself and others still have plenty of time to see the first batch come out and be reviewed and cancel the order if it looks like things didn't pan out.

Your post had a lot more meat in it last night lol. There is a ton of validity behind "not buying the first year of a new product". With that being said, while these bikes are new, their components have all been around for a while now. Is there still a risk? Sure. Is it the same risk for those that bought the Originals back in 2015? No. The company has grown, they have fixed their short comings with regards to warranty, and appear to be improving in other areas of their business too.

With all that being said, myself and others still have plenty of time to see the first batch come out and be reviewed and cancel the order if it looks like things didn't pan out.

When is your Rockstar due to be delivered?

I had two of those 2015s. I bought one used, and one partially assembled brand new. Those had 30 day warranties and zero customer service. The customer service was a privately owned Facebook page and Bruce Choate in his apartment. They had no way to go but up, but Bruce treated me very well with a replacement motor at 1,600 miles. Great guy! My concerns on the mid drives is that Sondors went to a proprietary protocol language when aftermarket companies started selling displays and upgrade controllers on their early bikes. They are kinda off the shelf but were tweaked. Same thing could happen here. My biggest concern is the way they market now and are so loose on delivery. They take in all the money based on a rendering, and early on, didn't even have a single component identified. They still sold out. When you get that kind of blind following, you can play fast and loose with anything you want to and they still sell. I prefer to know exactly what I am going to buy. I still enjoy following the owners Facebook page. But still see stripped out cranks, broken seat posts, fast wearing brake pads, etc... I would not be confident you will get the quality of component at the new higher price points they are selling at.

Well thankfully I'm in that middle group. I bought right after I saw the live reveal. I didn't hear about the price going up. What do they sell for now? I'm not sure I'd be a buyer if the price was higher. Not until it was tried and true.

I ordered the cruiser too, it has a 25 amp controller, delivery in three weeks, and ugly black rims not the gold ones that they showed months back, very disappointing!!!!

Back