Sondors Cruiser questions

teskow

This bike is a beautiful red and white Sondors Cruiser. It appears too sport a premium thickly coated paint job. I haven't found any flaws or blemishes anywhere on this unit . In my opinion it is as nicely done as any bike could be regardless of how much the cost. I am very happy with it. People are yelling at me as I ride by. "Beautiful bike". Two even waved me down this morning to question me.
At first there was some clicking and clacking in the drive train but everything seems to be breaking-wearing in and getting quieter. With the quiet tires it is definitely is easier to hear any motor noise than it is from my Bafang 750 watt hub drive bike with knobby tires. The motor noise is very tolerable and seems to be getting quieter as I get more miles on it. I would not be unhappy if it stayed at the same noise level as it is now.

This is my third day and 25 miles with my new Cruiser and have a few questions someone out there may be able to help with. I am graduating from a 750 watt hub drive 9 speed fat tire bike and of course there is a learning curve.
Of course the display settings falls into that category.

#1 My main concern at this time is the way the power comes on and off with light peddling.
The motor power tends to cycle on and off too much on level ground. When climbing a slight grade the power stays on and does not cycle on and off. Even in gear 1 & 2 and PAS #1 at slower speed too much assist power comes on. It wants to speed the bike up than shut down. On & off, on and off. I would like to set it at about 1/2 that assist in PAS# 1 & 2. ie. just enough power input to help maintain a constant speed on a level ground without the power constantly cycling on and off.

#2 The throttle does not work from a stand still which is a feature I miss. Can that be re-set or not?

#3 The thumb throttle power comes on very strong and I would like to tone that down to a milder come on power surge if possible.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

This bike is a beautiful red and white Sondors Cruiser. It appears too sport a premium thickly coated paint job. I haven't found any flaws or blemishes anywhere on this unit . In my opinion it is as nicely done as any bike could be regardless of how much the cost. I am very happy with it. People are yelling at me as I ride by. "Beautiful bike". Two even waved me down this morning to question me.
At first there was some clicking and clacking in the drive train but everything seems to be breaking-wearing in and getting quieter. With the quiet tires it is definitely is easier to hear any motor noise than it is from my Bafang 750 watt hub drive bike with knobby tires. The motor noise is very tolerable and seems to be getting quieter as I get more miles on it. I would not be unhappy if it stayed at the same noise level as it is now.

This is my third day and 25 miles with my new Cruiser and have a few questions someone out there may be able to help with. I am graduating from a 750 watt hub drive 9 speed fat tire bike and of course there is a learning curve.
Of course the display settings falls into that category.

#1 My main concern at this time is the way the power comes on and off with light peddling.
The motor power tends to cycle on and off too much on level ground. When climbing a slight grade the power stays on and does not cycle on and off. Even in gear 1 & 2 and PAS #1 at slower speed too much assist power comes on. It wants to speed the bike up than shut down. On & off, on and off. I would like to set it at about 1/2 that assist in PAS# 1 & 2. ie. just enough power input to help maintain a constant speed on a level ground without the power constantly cycling on and off.

#2 The throttle does not work from a stand still which is a feature I miss. Can that be re-set or not?

#3 The thumb throttle power comes on very strong and I would like to tone that down to a milder come on power surge if possible.

Any help here would be much appreciated.
#1 My Cruiser has no cycling of on and off. If I pedal, the motor is always on assisting and how much assist is depending on how hard I pedal. If I stop pedaling, the motor isn't active.

#2 My Cruiser throttle works from a dead stop. That's how it's supposed to. Have no idea on the reset question.

#3 My Cruiser throttle has to be feathered. I use it a lot. I agree, can be aggressive but it's a pretty torque motor.

Never ever ever have I heard this
You aren't listening close enough! 🤭
The surest way to overheat a BBS01 and BBS02 is to "lug" the motor. Taking off from a dead stop without shifting to a gear you'd use if you were running NO motor assistance.

#2 sounds like the 'zero start' option is set to 'no'. A no-zero-start throttle is a thing where pedaling is required to enable throttle use. This is required in some jurisdictions/countries.

I asked around from other Cruiser owners on the Sondors FB group and got this:

"You hold down the + and the - buttons until you see the menu. Then you select “settings” and the rest should be self explanatory."

So once you get into settings you should be able to reset the zero start throttle, and hopefully find PAS power settings. I know the older hub bikes' displays had percentages and it was common for riders to tone them down cuz the bike was running away from them.

How about a smaller chainring? This bike has a large one. The bike would then be more manageable at lower speeds and on hills. Personally I would leave the setting for no throttle at take off from a dead stop. Otherwise you could kill your bike. It is a bike made with bike parts and not an electric motorcycle. And it is true that you should launch from a stop in a low gear such as 1st or 2nd just as you would not start going from a red light in a classic Corvette while in high gear.

#2 sounds like the 'zero start' option is set to 'no'. A no-zero-start throttle is a thing where pedaling is required to enable throttle use. This is required in some jurisdictions/countries.

I asked around from other Cruiser owners on the Sondors FB group and got this:

So once you get into settings you should be able to reset the zero start throttle, and hopefully find PAS power settings. I know the older hub bikes' displays had percentages and it was common for riders to tone them down cuz the bike was running away from them.
So on the Bafang controller you can control when the throttle kicks in, so you can set it 3mph for example, just so it doesn't shock/surge the motor from a dead stop?

So on the Bafang controller you can control when the throttle kicks in, so you can set it 3mph for example, just so it doesn't shock/surge the motor from a dead stop?
I've never worked with an Ultra controller. However I know of the zero-start throttle option and it seems to be common across many controllers, simply because it is demanded via regulation in some countries.

With that said, the Ultra's settings screens appear to be the same as a BBSHD/BBS02 in many regards and there are quite a few settings that allow you to make very fine adjustments to how the motor fires up. On my various Bafang mid drives, I have set up PAs to not kick in until I cross 5 mph and when it does, it does so very gently. the settings on these motors involve a lot of finesse... and trial/error. The new Ultra motors, if they are using the new CAN protocol, have been walled off from this sort of tinkering.

Back