Fulfilling a dream

JiU2JT.jpg
How confusing to give your twin LP tanks the same name. I suggest changing one to "Millie." Mollie and Millie. Doesn't that sound nice? :D

Fryer showed up monday after ordering it April 27th. We unboxed it. Took pictures of the obvious damage. File for a return and dropped it off at UPS within the hour. We were originally told we'd get a refund within 24 hours. But Amazon keeps changing terms after the fact. Now we have to wait for our refund till the seller receives it. I'm betting there's going to be a fight to get our money back, which is exactly why we shot a video like this:

It had a weld that was ready to break once the weight of the oil in the pans was applied. A supporting bracket for the burner in the video is badly bent. It's scratched all over the place due to poor packaging. We're going to order another one, but it's 3x the price of this one.

We tested the new gas system yesterday by lighting the broiler. It's working fine after purging the air from the system. We also unboxed the new griddle yesterday and converted it to propane by changing the orifices. There were other modifications done so that it will fit in the trailer, and I need to do some more construction for it to fit in. I think I need this sure, because we just didn't void the warranty on the griddle, we violated it in ways a warranty shouldn't be violated.

Of course, the warranty was void the moment we told the manager of the store we bought it that it's going into the trailer. They don't warranty any appliance that gets mounted in a mobile unit. I'm not really concerned about the warranty, I spend so much time fixing things myself, and the parts that would break are actually fairly cheap. I'll fix it myself if I have to

Oh, the "commercial use" exception to warranties. Yep. Except usually I think that exception applies to things actually used commercially, whereas the fryer never got used even one time. Well, I hope they stand behind it for ya.

The forum seemed to be down for more than a day. I was beginning to think I broke it by cracking that "Mollie and Millie" gag! :p

The forum seemed to be down for more than a day. I was beginning to think I broke it by cracking that "Mollie and Millie" gag! :p
So, did you get more done yesterday with the forum down, or did you waste more time hitting "refresh"?

Oh, the "commercial use" exception to warranties. Yep. Except usually I think that exception applies to things actually used commercially, whereas the fryer never got used even one time. Well, I hope they stand behind it for ya.

The griddle came from a place that mostly sells to commercial entities. The Restaurant Store, we've been customers there for many years now even though we still don't have a restaurant. Many times I get asked by new employees what restaurant I'm buying for, I tell them, I'm not, I just have 6 kids. Cooking for that many every night seems like being in a restaurant. Anyway, the warranty isn't void because of the commercial use, but because it's going on the trailer/truck. Plus the hole I drilled through the chassis, and the original parts I removed and replaced with 3rd party parts.

One of the best things we discovered while trying to find the regulator for the outside is that the system I built is capable of 570,000btu's. We're going to be using about 160,000 with everything fired up, so we shouldn't have any problems with gas flow.

Today I finished up the welding of the platform the griddle will rest on. The top will be fire resistant polypropylene, and I'll cover the sides with diamond plate after a painting. That's the biggest complaint I have of the original builders of this, they built the frame and left it raw, no paint.

SjYYO8.jpg

Might consider adding Penetrol to the paint for improved adhesion and longevity. I have a good opinion of the stuff.

Might consider adding Penetrol to the paint for improved adhesion and longevity. I have a good opinion of the stuff.
I'm just gonna rattle can it. It's not going to be seen once installed. Some rusty metal primer, and some flat black. The exposed parts will be covered with diamond plate. Right now I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver a rounded flap disc so I can finished cleaning up the inside corners.

First light of the griddle. Griddle top is not attached right now because I still have to move this thing around. I think my pilots might be a little high.
L7ZZz1.jpg

Pilot lights use a lot of gas and stink up the space, when Mom shifted to an electric ignition stove gas usage was probably halved.

Pilot lights use a lot of gas and stink up the space, when Mom shifted to an electric ignition stove gas usage was probably halved.
I can't really eliminate pilot lights. I have 5 gas appliances, all of them with pilots. The good thing is, I have a huge window on one side, 2 smaller windows on other sides, and two big exhaust fans. I doubt I'll be smelling the pilots burning. There's a valve to adjust the height of those pilots. Just on the first light there was no way to know where it was adjusted. I'll be doing that this morning after I get back from errands. One of my favorite stores is giving out free Tshirts with any purchase, I got one yesterday, going up again for another one.

I can't really eliminate pilot lights. I have 5 gas appliances, all of them with pilots. The good thing is, I have a huge window on one side, 2 smaller windows on other sides, and two big exhaust fans. I doubt I'll be smelling the pilots burning. There's a valve to adjust the height of those pilots. Just on the first light there was no way to know where it was adjusted. I'll be doing that this morning after I get back from errands. One of my favorite stores is giving out free Tshirts with any purchase, I got one yesterday, going up again for another one.
Seriously you lit it without loss of beard or eyebrows, so that's a win. The rest is just "tuning the burner" as they say.

100W solar panel is mounted, but not wired. I have a 20A Renogy MPPT charge controller to install once I get the battery.

phTKY9.jpg

3iCXws.jpg

Who's hungry?
YzIwR4.jpg

ugZndx.jpg

9kssQA.jpg

6RnO31.jpg

We finished getting the griddle in this morning before I had to take one of the kids to work and run errands. We got this going around 12:30 after getting home. One of the neighbors stopped by and had one with us. The sausage in the pictures is Jalapeno/Cheddar with Longhorn Pepper cheese.

Who's hungry?
YzIwR4.jpg

ugZndx.jpg

9kssQA.jpg

6RnO31.jpg

We finished getting the griddle in this morning before I had to take one of the kids to work and run errands. We got this going around 12:30 after getting home. One of the neighbors stopped by and had one with us. The sausage in the pictures is Jalapeno/Cheddar with Longhorn Pepper cheese.
Yum!

This is why you buy a full length truck bed.
WMpYm3.jpg

#1 helping with installing the wheel wells.
fdd0yi.jpg

First body panel is installed. #2 helped with this riveting task.
4Arrwl.jpg

Second body panel installed.
4Arrwl.jpg

New lights are in. The original lights were 1157 automotive bulbs, which draw a tremendous amount of current. Plus, the previous owners had all the lights, 8 of them, tied into the fans, and the water heater. No wonder the original fuse box melted down. I've been able to break out all of those in their own circuits. The lights were drawing enough current to slow down the fans.

cIBKtc.jpg

njrc5n.jpg

We have our first unofficial gig next weekend. Doing dinner for a friend's family reunion. Menu is sausage sammiches and hawaiian sliders, traditional amish style tater salad or Kartoffelsalat, pickled (red beet) eggs and fresh local sweet corn. Today I figured out that I can cook corn in the trailer using the steam table Probably make some brownies for desert.

New lights are in. The original lights were 1157 automotive bulbs, which draw a tremendous amount of current. Plus, the previous owners had all the lights, 8 of them, tied into the fans, and the water heater. No wonder the original fuse box melted down. I've been able to break out all of those in their own circuits. The lights were drawing enough current to slow down the fans.

cIBKtc.jpg

njrc5n.jpg

We have our first unofficial gig next weekend. Doing dinner for a friend's family reunion. Menu is sausage sammiches and hawaiian sliders, traditional amish style tater salad or Kartoffelsalat, pickled (red beet) eggs and fresh local sweet corn. Today I figured out that I can cook corn in the trailer using the steam table Probably make some brownies for desert.
you Guys have corn already?

you Guys have corn already?
Yup, had some lastnight with dinner. It was good. There's a produce farm not far from me that regularly has early sweet corn. So far it's been a good growing season. Everyone got their fields ready early and crops in the ground. With the rain things have just been shooting up. Over all the farmers have been very happy this year.

Back