Fulfilling a dream

In a good year( plenty of rain no late freezes) if field corn is fence high by the fourth it is considered doing well, it has been for the most part too cold and dry to have any early things, might be better in the Shendoah Valley, the Mennonites usually have their corn in the ground by the second or third week in April( for better or worse) enjoy- what variety, can you tell me about that yummy "Holloway" corn?

In a good year( plenty of rain no late freezes) if field corn is fence high by the fourth it is considered doing well, it has been for the most part too cold and dry to have any early things, might be better in the Shendoah Valley, the Mennonites usually have their corn in the ground by the second or third week in April( for better or worse) enjoy- what variety, can you tell me about that yummy "Holloway" corn?
Silver queen is still the favorite around here. There's a bi-color that's very good too. Never heard of hollowway corn. Last year during the middle of the season I heard a woman in the grocery with a thick NJ accent yell to her husband "All this is that white corn, they don't have any yellow" I'm thinking to myself that she has no idea what she should be looking for. No one gets yellow corn here, lessen than you're livestock.

I cannot stand the people that shuck corn in the store, stupid mothershuckers. The corn in the area is good, it's incredibly rare to find any with extra protein inside. I just grab a dozen from the bin and bag it, while other people give me funny looks leaving a mess in the store.

Silver queen is still the favorite around here. There's a bi-color that's very good too. Never heard of hollowway corn. Last year during the middle of the season I heard a woman in the grocery with a thick NJ accent yell to her husband "All this is that white corn, they don't have any yellow" I'm thinking to myself that she has no idea what she should be looking for. No one gets yellow corn here, lessen than you're livestock.

I cannot stand the people that shuck corn in the store, stupid mothershuckers. The corn in the area is good, it's incredibly rare to find any with extra protein inside. I just grab a dozen from the bin and bag it, while other people give me funny looks leaving a mess in the store.
The worms never bother Me( they dont eat much- worms equal pesticide free corn) The "Holloway' is a white corn perhaps a shade bigger ears than the "Silverqueen" "Iochief" is a good field corn to plant around here because it is robust and stands the thunderstorms better.( even if it is yellow) Indian corn does well on its own altough not as sweet and tender.

My steam table is fixed. We tried lighting it lastnight but weren't getting any gas. Figured there might be a nest or something inside. Took it to the local propane shop this morning around 9am, they called at 11am and said it was fixed. New thermocouple, a cleaning and a replaced nut that was cracked through. They also fixed another one that I had from the coffee machine we aren't using. Asked them to go over it too so I can use it as a spare.

We got it lit, now corn on the cob is a go for next saturday.

We just lit the water heater for the first time. I don't know if I posted it a while ago, but the water heater that was in it showed signs of electrical meltdown and we didn't want to trust it, especially considering the control module was $200+. We found one pulled from a 2022 RV for $170 locally and bought it. Just a little bit longer than the other one but narrower. We got it mounted a while ago but never got to test it until today because it needs to be filled to fire. We just got done the plumbing and decided to fire it. Hooked up 12v, opened the gas line and within a few seconds the igniter fired, and a couple seconds after that, the burner fired. I spent most of the day yesterday sorting out the rats nest of 12vdc and 120vac wiring that all came together in one spot in the ceiling.

Now there's a nice new switch panel I put together and all the 120vac lines are sorted and connected
a6QxUY.jpg

The exhaust fans are now set that can be run individually.
SmxTaC.jpg

Here's the squat test to see if I need to add more air to the suspension with it hitched up. I think it looks good.
3bh7D4.jpg

We should be ready to roll by saturday afternoon.

I'm not really sure how the original plumbing was done so that the system didn't create a syphon and drain the fresh water tank through the overflow. But I came up with a method that doesn't do that. When filling the fresh water tank and the water heater at the same time, when they get full, water start to flow out the overflow, letting you know you're full. I installed a T off the overflow out to a vent stack beside the water heater Once water hits the over flow, I can turn off the inlet, and then close the overflow and the vent stack allows air back in. I have to be careful though because if I fill at full pressure from the hose, I'll get water spraying out of the vent stack.
3VxzlD.jpg

Water system is pretty much done, 3 sink system and hand wash all have hot water, and my on demand pressure pump is working great. At the start of the day I'll have 16 gallons of fresh water plus an additional 5 gallons to pump into the steam table, as soon as I get the pump in place.

We just lit the water heater for the first time. I don't know if I posted it a while ago, but the water heater that was in it showed signs of electrical meltdown and we didn't want to trust it, especially considering the control module was $200+. We found one pulled from a 2022 RV for $170 locally and bought it. Just a little bit longer than the other one but narrower. We got it mounted a while ago but never got to test it until today because it needs to be filled to fire. We just got done the plumbing and decided to fire it. Hooked up 12v, opened the gas line and within a few seconds the igniter fired, and a couple seconds after that, the burner fired. I spent most of the day yesterday sorting out the rats nest of 12vdc and 120vac wiring that all came together in one spot in the ceiling.

Now there's a nice new switch panel I put together and all the 120vac lines are sorted and connected
a6QxUY.jpg

The exhaust fans are now set that can be run individually.
SmxTaC.jpg

Here's the squat test to see if I need to add more air to the suspension with it hitched up. I think it looks good.
3bh7D4.jpg

We should be ready to roll by saturday afternoon.
Do you have a CO monitor?

Do you have a CO monitor?
Not yet, we will, plus an LP monitor. That's the kind of stuff that goes in last. I won't be buying them from the RV store I was at today, those guys are expensive. I'm not terribly worried about LP or CO since there's so much ventilation, like the 6' wide window on one side, and the two windows on the other side, plus the exhaust fans running. But we're still going to put them in.

Not yet, we will, plus an LP monitor. That's the kind of stuff that goes in last. I won't be buying them from the RV store I was at today, those guys are expensive. I'm not terribly worried about LP or CO since there's so much ventilation, like the 6' wide window on one side, and the two windows on the other side, plus the exhaust fans running. But we're still going to put them in.
You make a good product "and they will come!" guarantee if I am ever up that way I will stop by( btw sell the "Mexican Cokes" as well so much better than the American variety, most of the food trailers down here do)

Whip up some "Boston Coolers" (Vernors ginger ale and ice cream) and I might show up! :D

Whip up some "Boston Coolers" (Vernors ginger ale and ice cream) and I might show up! :D
My favorite is Root beer floats with chocolate ice cream. I also make my own ice cream when I have time. An amazing dark chocolate that's super rich and creamy and a really creamy cantaloupe that's really good over fresh melon.

Got the new skylight installed today. I had some aluminum cut and bent to create covers over the wooden riser that was installed for the original skylight. Now it's wrapped in aluminum, with butyl acetate as a sealer around it and the corners wrapped up in actual real duct tape. I'm using 3/8" acrylic sheet that was a covid shield in a voting location. I hope it still doesn't have covid on it. I guess I can put my bullet resistant acrylic away now.

Wife has been working on getting all the business paperwork straightened out. We're registering in DE, and we're going to see what it'll take to operate inspection wise down there. If we get it worked out, we'll try to get into Pumpkin Chunkin' this year.

We got back from our first unofficial gig around 9pm. I couldn't be happier with how the trailer towed. No lateral sway, brake controller worked perfectly. I didn't have to use any extra brake. We towed it 35 miles from our place to our friend's place. His "driveway" is about 3/4 mile long winding gravel path and up a steep hill. Put it in 4WD to get up the lane.

Everything on the trailer worked fine. We had filled the water system and heated the water before we left. The water heater didn't kick in at all while there. We made a couple of mistakes, nothing big, but we're learning. It took us a bit to get a rhythm going between putting the order together and getting it out the window, but we eventually got it. Wife and I are doing an AAR to determine how we can improve things.

Over all a very good day.

Back