Frey

Luna X1 frame is made by Denfu which has a pretty good reputation for carbon builds. A few folks built their own before Luna made a deal with Dengfu to offer the frame exclusively to Luna. The upside is Luna can do it at lower cost. The X1 is currently on sale (presumably they wanted to clear out stock before Corona shut them down) so not much inventory left and I am not sure how much new stock they are getting. If it were me I would not buy this bike in any color but the original carbon black which was a sight to behold in person. The glossy colors with loud white lettering are hideous IMO.

The X1 is a great value if you are looking for a capable trail bike with the most power. It is not a good choice IMO for an all around bike due to the gearing. It it optimized for climbing although you can always swap out the front chainring. It would be problematic to put a rack on it due to the carbon frame and dropper seat post. After I returned my X1 (due to the motor noise, this was before silent gear was available) I deiced to go with the Frey CC as I realized this was closer to what I wanted.

Thank you so much Simon for this very informative video. I am eagerly expecting my CC as part of the USA shipment and I will report on it.

Guys here’s my latest unboxing / build video for the Frey CC eBike you might find informative. Cheers guys and best regards!

Simon:

At around 7:05 in your video you say:

"... under throttle it won't pull away from standstill to protect the drive train." or some very similar words. Was this how the controller firmware was setup when you rode the bike in China? Apparently the AM1000 and EX don't have this "safety feature" perhaps because of their inherently lower mountain bike gearing. This would imply Frey is actually retuning the stock Bafang controller to fit particular model usage at the factory. Do you have any more insider knowledge on this?? To me this probably won't matter if the haptic feedback/torque sensor calibration "feels" good enough to my wobbly old legs, though it might disappoint those riders with more of a moped/motorcycle experience expectation.

Stay Well

Guys here’s my latest unboxing / build video for the Frey CC eBike you might find informative. Cheers guys and best regards!
Thank you for this video! I am anxiously awaiting a CC bike on the US group order. In the US, shipping through UPS can often be a box damage disaster scene. Im just praying my box arrives in somewhere near as good as shape as yours!

I have to say that the CC in that unboxing video is an absolutely stunning machine that could hold its own against many costlier bikes in the same category. Sadly, I think I'll have to pass due to its sheer weight. If I had a garage and didn't need to carry the bike up 14 stairs it would be my 1st choice. Instead I'll focus on the HT1000 that's still "manageable" at about 25kilos without the battery.

A question to owners: is the battery openly available from a 3rd party? I'm not asking that to save money. What draws me to this bike is that it's the only street legal class 3 bike in my particular locale for which parts (the drive in particular) can be openly sourced. As a commuter, I don't want to have to wait for Yamaha, Bosch, Brose or Shimano to replace or fix a broken drive. That process can take a long time and partly depends on the goodwill and efficiency of the LBS. As I don't have a car I can't go without the bike for an extended period of time, so I'd be ordering a spare drive with the bike. But what about the availability of the battery? I wouldn't want to order one of those in advance.

Looking forward to the comments/reviews of these wonderful bikes once people start getting them. :)
I asked Frey if they were using a Reention or some other standard format on the CC and they told me it was a custom pack made for them, so I would need to order replacement batteries through Frey. Don't know about the HT1000 pack...

Is Gepida class 3 available there? Here you could get two class 3 Gepida Fastida's for about the same price as a CC + extra bafang drivetrain...

I have to say that the CC in that unboxing video is an absolutely stunning machine that could hold its own against many costlier bikes in the same category. Sadly, I think I'll have to pass due to its sheer weight. If I had a garage and didn't need to carry the bike up 14 stairs it would be my 1st choice. Instead I'll focus on the HT1000 that's still "manageable" at about 25kilos without the battery.

A question to owners: is the battery openly available from a 3rd party? I'm not asking that to save money. What draws me to this bike is that it's the only street legal class 3 bike in my particular locale for which parts (the drive in particular) can be openly sourced. As a commuter, I don't want to have to wait for Yamaha, Bosch, Brose or Shimano to replace or fix a broken drive. That process can take a long time and partly depends on the goodwill and efficiency of the LBS. As I don't have a car I can't go without the bike for an extended period of time, so I'd be ordering a spare drive with the bike. But what about the availability of the battery? I wouldn't want to order one of those in advance.

Looking forward to the comments/reviews of these wonderful bikes once people start getting them. :)
Well almost all e bike batteries actually use Samsung, Panasonic or other major brand cells within their batteries. These battery packs can be rebuilt by a number of battery rebuilders that now exist. But yes the main plastic battery assembly is proprietary from Frey.

Well almost all e bike batteries actually use Samsung, Panasonic or other major brand cells within their batteries. These battery packs can be rebuilt by a number of battery rebuilders that now exist. But yes the main plastic battery assembly is proprietary from Frey.
Some of the battery rebuilders I have communicated with have a great service policy for E-bike batteries, however, the shipment process to/from has its challenges due to HAZMAT/DG shipment restrictions attached. Certified packers are a requirement for it to be accepted for shipment.

I assume the key is only to secure the battery as opposed to functioning as a circuit breaker.

Sounds like battery is working better now? Not sure I follow the rest of your post.
Well I charged a battery to 85% 52.4 volts, now at 12.5 miles I’m at 44 volts 30% and speed is reduced to under 20 mph,
Not very good, looks like I’ll get about 15 miles total at reduced speed after 9-10 miles, kinda a joke for a commuter
Best
Mark

Some of the battery rebuilders I have communicated with have a great service policy for E-bike batteries, however, the shipment process to/from has its challenges due to HAZMAT/DG shipment restrictions attached. Certified packers are a requirement for it to be accepted for shipment.
Looks like on my CC battery’s you can unscrew the plastic housing and apply to available battery’s

Well I charged a battery to 85% 52.4 volts, now at 12.5 miles I’m at 44 volts 30% and speed is reduced to under 20 mph,
Not very good, looks like I’ll get about 15 miles total at reduced speed after 9-10 miles, kinda a joke for a commuter
Best
Mark
Thats a bummer for sure. Obviously something is amiss. But heck, Frey is not some fly by night operation, they are a legit high quality bike maker. So unfortunately you got problem child which will require taking your bike to a shop or calling a mobile shop like Velofix. You may have a dead or bogus cell in your battery. Heck one drop onto a hard surface can permanently ruin these types of batteries. And e bike batteries are made of many little batteries all tied together increasing the odds of a bad cell ruining the whole deal. Bummer for sure. I wish you luck.

Best
Mark
This seems like a common theme with the Frey CC. I'm wondering whether these are one-offs or quality issue with the batteries.

This seems like a common theme with the Frey CC. I'm wondering whether these are one-offs or quality issue with the batteries.
Don’t know I bought a extra battery with my CC both the same, I feel it might be a controller or programming issue
Bike will do 40 mph on a fresh battery

Thats a bummer for sure. Obviously something is amiss. But heck, Frey is not some fly by night operation, they are a legit high quality bike maker. So unfortunately you got problem child which will require taking your bike to a shop or calling a mobile shop like Velofix. You may have a dead or bogus cell in your battery. Heck one drop onto a hard surface can permanently ruin these types of batteries. And e bike batteries are made of many little batteries all tied together increasing the odds of a bad cell ruining the whole deal. Bummer for sure. I wish you luck.
Don’t think it’s the battery’s as I have 2 and both are the same, can ride close to home for about 10 miles, can ride my rad rover for 20 miles

This seems like a common theme with the Frey CC
Who else has reported an issue? It's certainly possible they used a different supplier or board for the CC batteries. If it isn't specific to the batteries then more likely it's a faulty controller on his motor.

Who else has reported an issue? It's certainly possible they used a different supplier or board for the CC batteries. If it isn't specific to the batteries then more likely it's a faulty controller on his motor.
I don't remember who, but I recall there being couple of others on different threads that had range issues with the CC.

Just Mark so far. Someone else reported disappointing range with their BPM imports fat bike, but that's a different brand / bike.

May i also say that i requested masks from Frey after their offer had expired. They sent me 2 dozen KN95 masks express mail!! That was an amazing humanitarian gesture imho. Really kind nice folks at Frey!

Back