Frey CC

Here's a pic, still sorting out suspension weights etc and seat height
IMG_20210823_103711.jpg

I'm 69 years old and interested in comfort rather than speed .......lol.............does it ride and handle nicely?

What range do you get on a charge? ,I will be doing flat to undulating ,usually on the River bank multi use path in Lower Hutt where I live.

I'm 77, 185cm tall and 90kg. It goes really well, haven't tested range yet but use only 1 or 2 pa's. Thinking may need to up the chain ring, currently 40t to maybe 44t. I'm not a hard out mtber but do love to hoon a bit. Plan on doing rail trails etc too. Real comfy seat and suspensions, no probs there.

i'm 1.77 and 100 kg ...............I think I'll put mine together and take it to a local cycle mechanic to look 2 head bearings and rear axle to see if they come with enough grease.

just at the stage of paying the freight forwarder ,customs and the customs agent .

It will be a couple of weeks wending its way from Auckland to Wellington.

@Taylor57 I wouldn't cut those nice grips. Use a different handlebar mount or a helmet mounted mirror.

So how is it compared to your Espin?
The Frey is ok as I haven't ridden it much due to the heat. The other day it dropped into the 80's with cloud cover and I chose to ride the Sport. The Sport is much lighter and I have throttle from a dead stop. I will when it cools off, use my programming cable and program the CC to throttle up right outa the gate. I wouldn't mind selling the CC if I could get 3800 back. I think I have under 200 miles...

The Frey is ok as I haven't ridden it much due to the heat. The other day it dropped into the 80's with cloud cover and I chose to ride the Sport. The Sport is much lighter and I have throttle from a dead stop. I will when it cools off, use my programming cable and program the CC to throttle up right outa the gate. I wouldn't mind selling the CC if I could get 3800 back. I think I have under 200 miles...

Still shopping for my N+1 ebike.

Still can't find any rear hub with a throttle that weighs less than 40lbs. :(

I have 2 batteries for my CC but have only used one of them to date, it's been 4 months now and noticed the battery only charges to 88%. So I tried charging my spare (NEW) battery and again only charges to 88% even though I've hardly used it. I reached out to Frey and they're sending me a new charger, was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. I've tried switching outlets as well but same result. Hoping its not something more serious.

Last edited:
I have 2 batteries for my CC but have only used one of them to date, it's been 4 months now and noticed the battery only charges to 88%. So I tried charging my spare (NEW) battery and again only charges to 88% even though I've never used it. I reached out to Frey and they're sending me a new charger, was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. I've tried switching outlets as well but same result. Hoping its not something more serious.
You should measure the voltage of the battery with a meter in case it is an error on the bike meter, but charger is a good bet; With the cheap chargers abound I'm surprised there are not more charger issues.

You should measure the voltage of the battery with a meter in case it is an error on the bike meter, but charger is a good bet; With the cheap chargers abound I'm surprised there are not more charger issues.
Should I measure the voltage on the charger or battery? it used to charge the batteries to 100% then all of a sudden both batteries only charge to 88%... I'll try measuring the voltage on the battery, thanks.

Should I measure the voltage on the charger or battery? it used to charge the batteries to 100% then all of a sudden both batteries only charge to 88%... I'll try measuring the voltage on the battery, thanks.
Well either should work, but I was originally suggesting checking the voltage on the battery. if it is at full charge then obviously the bike has a problem. If it is saying the voltage it is 88% of full charge then the problem must be the charger, or the BMS inside the battery. However since your second battery reported the same as the first that pretty much rules out the battery, so it must be the charger or the bike.

Well either should work, but I was originally suggesting checking the voltage on the battery. if it is at full charge then obviously the bike has a problem. If it is saying the voltage it is 88% of full charge then the problem must be the charger, or the BMS inside the battery. However since your second battery reported the same as the first that pretty much rules out the battery, so it must be the charger or the bike.
Ya that's the thing, I hardly used the second battery, so i'm hoping its the charger.

Ya that's the thing, I hardly used the second battery, so i'm hoping its the charger.
Depending on the plug, if you can safely measure the voltage of the charger (you don't want to be shorting anything if a probe slips), that would give you a good indication if it is the charger.

I would check both batteries and the charger. It takes seconds and more information is well. . . more information.

My cc is due here on Friday ,Iwas putting some assembly tools together ,but wondered if they have aseembly tools with them?

Instruction book with some torque values?

Depending on the plug, if you can safely measure the voltage of the charger (you don't want to be shorting anything if a probe slips), that would give you a good indication if it is the charger.
Received the NEW charger from Frey and its charging normally now. Turns out the issue was indeed with a faulty charger. I'd owned the bike for around 5 months but Frey support was quick and sent me a new one in about 2 weeks.

My cc is due here on Friday ,Iwas putting some assembly tools together ,but wondered if they have aseembly tools with them?

Instruction book with some torque values?
No book or manual. My CC came with an inexpensive folding hex / screwdriver tool which isn't awful, but you'll want to invest in something higher quality if you don't already carry something like that in your repair bag. It didn't have a large enough hex key to tighten the crank bolts, but most folks already have a general purpose hex key set with larger keys. Other than that, all you really need to do beyond adjusting brakes is attach the handlebars to the stem which have nm max torque values stamped (I prefer a small 4-6nm torque wrench tool which also travels with me in my repair bag).

Tom ,Frey meister !!!!!!

I have assembled a little tool kit with Allen keys ,Park tool 3 way ball driver and a cycle torque wrench..............I am setting off to pick it up soon.

Have had motor cycles for most of my life so have the basic tools.

I'm a menace with a spanner or socket set !!!!!!

Do the simple stuff myself but I go to a good local mechanic for any thing more complicated.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Back