Frey CC

But I have yet to find a meaningful comparison or someone with real world experience that can speak to the difference between a tweaked stock controller and the X1.
Are you asking for other experiences because you don't wish to take the manufacturer's claims at face value? That's certainly fine. But, otherwise, you can find plenty of data points below:

CC on display Pal Desert Civic Center. The boy Slimed the tires and lubed the pedals

Attachments

• IMG_4442.jpg
    IMG_4442.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 265
I just got back in town and still haven't ridden. It's at my sons house. I may have him weigh it later today. I should get it back this Thursday...
No... I was referring to the feel of the weight when you have to handle it and then when riding. Does it feel too heavy?

It's a weighty bike but IMO the weight makes it that much more stable at speed, so it's a tradeoff that works for my use (city, gravel, light off road). YMMV.

For those who want an affordable hitch rack for your ebike. I found this type of platform rack used for motorcross/cycle style but perfect for ebikes. Bought it used for $130 plus a couple or ratchet straps is all that's needed. I have a 1 1/4" hitch so I had to customize to fit but rack is made for 2" hitch. Also removed the ramp to reduce weight and size, you need to add a piece of wood or something to reduce the wheel area width to suit your tire size. Only drawback is for 1 ebike only.

rack2.jpg

Attachments

• rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 207
  • rack3.jpg
    rack3.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 217
Took my real first ride on the CC today. About 10 miles or so on the streets and bike paths with a little trail riding as well. She handled like a dream and shifted very well through all 11 or 12 gears. Checked out all 5 levels of pedal assist and was able to get her up to 38 mph throttle only. Probably wont be doing that speed too often as I just wanted to see what she would do. I may switch out my suspension stem from my Sport and I am still up in the air as whether or not to keep the dropper or add a suspension seat post. All in all a very smooth ride and yes, I'm guessing every bit of 75 lbs...

Attachments

• CC on Belardo.jpg
    CC on Belardo.jpg
    856.8 KB · Views: 220
  • CC closeup.jpg
    CC closeup.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 219
Took CC out this morning for about an hour and fooled and fiddled with controls- I had never used Turbo before. Oh boy, plenty of extra giddy up there as I was able to pedal to 30 pretty easily is PA 5. I then went to the other end of the spectrum and put her in 0 PA and was able to comfortably pedal at around 15mph for a mile or so. (I'm guessing I was in gear 8 out of 11) It is heavy but it sure rides smooth. I also noticed by using Turbo and the throttle quite a bit, the power level went from 88 starting the day to 78 in around 30 minutes. Once I got out of Turbo and especially when I shut off power assist, my mileage got back to a more reasonable drain. Next project is finding the leather covered locking grips that will match my seat so I can add the Mirrcycle. I'm also wrestling with dismantling my dropper post as I haven't used it yet and feel I would benefit more from a suspension seat post and my old suspension stem from Sport. Not sure how it would handle in a soft dirt trail situation especially with the Schwalbes...

Attachments

• CC at home.jpg
    CC at home.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 179
Almost took as long for you to go for a ride as it did for Frey to ship it 🙃
Seems you are happy with it so far.
Curious... Have you tried to pedal the bike under total human power... sans motor?

Almost took as long for you to go for a ride as it did for Frey to ship it 🙃
Seems you are happy with it so far.
Curious... Have you tried to pedal the bike under total human power... sans motor?
Yeah, Rocket, I tried today and surprisingly, it was fairly easy to pedal and I was even going uphill at around a 1% grade. Rode for close to a mile with no motor support. And, I was in a higher gear. At the end of my ride, I was a tad winded but it felt good. It reminded me of why I bought Ebikes in the first place-too get off of my fat arse!!

No, best solution is to upgrade the controller to achieve 15-35% more range. With aftermarket controller, my butt wears out before the CC battery does. YMMV depending on how much you pedal.
Hi Tom excuse my ignorance but how do I upgrade my controller to achieve greater efficiency?I ordered my cc just over a couple of weeks ago .Do I contact Frey to upgrade or is it something I have to do once I get the bike?This will be my first ebike so I am a complete novice with technicalities.

Hi Tom excuse my ignorance but how do I upgrade my controller to achieve greater efficiency?I ordered my cc just over a couple of weeks ago .Do I contact Frey to upgrade or is it something I have to do once I get the bike?This will be my first ebike so I am a complete novice with technicalities.
Archon X1 controller from Watt Wagons:

Took my real first ride on the CC today. About 10 miles or so on the streets and bike paths with a little trail riding as well. She handled like a dream and shifted very well through all 11 or 12 gears. Checked out all 5 levels of pedal assist and was able to get her up to 38 mph throttle only. Probably wont be doing that speed too often as I just wanted to see what she would do. I may switch out my suspension stem from my Sport and I am still up in the air as whether or not to keep the dropper or add a suspension seat post. All in all a very smooth ride and yes, I'm guessing every bit of 75 lbs...
good lord that bike is a rocket! and beautiful on top of that!!!

It's a weighty bike but IMO the weight makes it that much more stable at speed, so it's a tradeoff that works for my use (city, gravel, light off road). YMMV.
Hi, thanks for your input on the X 1 earlier today. I am looking for an exclusively off road bike. Do you have any interest in selling your luna X 1? (I believe we're both in the PacNW ?)
Thanks!

The Luna X1 still meets my needs so not planning to sell but you can drop by if you want to test ride (I'm in Issaquah). Just drop me a direct mesage.

Back