FREY AM1000 e-bike review: 1.5kW and almost 40 mph

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
A nice ride with a very powerful mid-drive motor and high spec components... ;)

Here’s the rub. FREY isn’t quite a mom-and-pop company, but they’re close. And being China-based, they don’t have any US distributors. They’re working on it, but worldwide they only have a Swiss and UK dealer so far. That means that ordering is very old fashioned, where you contact the company via the website and go back and forth with emails until you have the bike designed the way you like. Or you can also order via Alibaba, though many Westerners find that process to be unfamiliar and thus uncomfortable.

Then there’s shipping, which is killer. Like, “I hope you’re sitting down for this” kind of killer. If you want your bike quickly, shipping costs around $800 for air freight. If you can wait a couple of months for the slow boat, sea shipping is around $500. FREY has also launched a free-shipping option, though it uses the ultra-slow boat and can take around 6 months – more than most people want to wait.

FREY AM1000 tech specs

• Motor: 1 kW continuous, 1.5 kW peak-rated Bafang Ultra mid-drive motor
  • Torque: 160 Nm
  • Top speed (tested): 59 km/h (36 mph)
  • Battery: 48V 21Ah (1,008 Wh)
  • Range: Varies considerably by ride style/terrain, but 30-100 km (20-60 miles) is the ballpark
  • Frame: 6061 aluminum
  • Front suspension: RockShox YARI RC Boost 110×15 mm, 160 mm travel
  • Rear Suspension: RockShox Deluxe 205x65mm, 160 mm travel
  • Transmission: Shimano Deore XT M8000
  • Brakes: Magura MT5-e hydraulic disc brakes with 203 mm rotors
  • Extras: 3 frame sizes (M, L, XL), color LCD display, side stand, Maxxis 27.5*2.8″ REKON+ TLR tires

Last edited:
The Bafang Ultra does have torque sensing but it's not on par with the refinement of modern euro spec motors. There is an aftermarket controller that takes the Bafang Ultra to a completely different level but Frey so far has not made it a priority to make it happen for their users like Watt Wagons has.

If you want a full suspension Ultra bike for off road I would consider the Watt Wagons Travalanche as it comes with the aftermarket controller. The extra power it offers isn't as critical as the refinement and efficiency gains IMO.

Thanks! I was just curious. I’m very happy with the STEPS E8000 on my Felt. Its torque sensing is very dialed in....I guess I’m spoiled, I Personally would not own an eBike without good torque sensing.

Could not remember the name of the mountain; ya right... hmmm ask someone... add it to the video later ... lazy bum ... @$#% review, just an infomercial.

Back