Ford F-150 Lightning - perfect truck for E-bike owners

I'm all for electric vehicles but we need to start hearing from the power's that be regarding how we are going to produce all this electricity. Seriously. šŸ¤”
Yes, we will likely need more electricity.

But because EVs are more efficient than IC vehicles, you don't need as much more electricity as a back-of-the-envelope estimate might indicate.

Also, since most personal vehicles spend the vast majority of their existence parked at home, you can introduce some flexibility in when they are charged and still guarantee that they will be adequately charged when needed (note I said adequately because, like your e-bike, you don't want to fully charge your electric car unless you are going to really need those coulombs in the next day or so). So again while you will need a large total capacity (measured in watts), you likely won't need to fully charge all of those vehicles at the same time.

I note that e-vehicle charging is a good match for highly variable electricity sources like solar and wind.

F-150 Lighting, before you ride the lighting bolt. The CyberTruck has an air compressor to pump up you bikes!

CT vs F150 Lighting.jpg

Love the truck. I'm a big Ford F150 fan. Grateful for the video posting, as I hadn't seen that yet.

This is the mainstream vehicle many have been waiting for. It looks like a normal truck, the kind that sell and the price isn't beyond what many pay now. There are issues that the US needs to address. If you have a big garage you can charge this at home. On the road locally we don't have any charging stations. The nearest one is more than 30 miles away. Next is governments (Federal and State) offer rebates for EV and there is no tax that goes to road repairs and infrastructure. Gas taxes are paying for our roads and EV owners do not pay the bill, as a matter of fact taxpayers pay people to buy EV's. So governments keep raising the gas tax, which is the most regressive tax there is to low income wage earners. It doesn't hurt for the person making 100k a year to pay a nickel more per gallon, but the person making $15 to $20 an hour, driving 30 to 40 miles everyday to make that paycheck, it hurts a lot.

All the incentives are going to high wage earners that can afford EV's and not the senior on a fixed income or the average blue collar or service worker.

Let them eat cake? We have a lot to figure out now that EV's are getting more mainstream. Washington seems too busy with their schoolyard fights. EV's have to be affordable, we need industry funded charging stations and we need to figure out how to fund road infrastructure.

Love the truck!
Eh, I dunno, wth a bed that short, itĀ“really a sedan missing a back seat. IĀ“ve been in Fords for
nigh on 50 yrs. The industry needs to take an appropriate look at the demands of this century.

Eh, I dunno, wth a bed that short, itĀ“really a sedan missing a back seat. IĀ“ve been in Fords for
nigh on 50 yrs. The industry needs to take an appropriate look at the demands of this century.
Progress. A little patience is required for big changes. Just like ebikes, EV's get better every year.

Taxing E vehicles for road use has been an article of faith among some (generally haters) for sometime. The facts are big trucks destroy the roads and bridges, and the people movers foot the bill

That depends on that which you perceive as better, which is always subjective.
ā€œYou can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you canā€™t please all of the people all of the time.ā€
John Lydgate

I must admit I'm a big E-equipment fan. Drills, Saws, Blowers, Edger and even my Lawn Lower are electric.
I got an EGO mower years ago, it is awesome! never have to worry bad gas after winter, it's just a charge an go. I said it before and I'll say it now. Once people experience EV cars & trucks, things will change and change fast, just like with E-Bikes. The only concern for people is range, and that's because charge station saturation is not equal to gas stations. But having a Full Charge, by charging at home or at work will cure that. And those darn things are just fun to ride in with instant power. The little things like, no needed to keep you foot on the break at during stops, or the reduced need to press the break because the regeneration motors slow you down.
Its a small little thing that I really notice when I'm not driving the Tesla. So here is what my wife sent me yesterday, the high school where she works will be adding Charge Station!

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 6.59.20 AM.png

Last edited:
I applaud Ford/Tesla/anyone else for this. Itā€™s time. I know it wonā€™t happen in my lifetime but I want to see the end of diesel engines and the jerks who love to blacken the atmosphere.

Big EVs still have a huge carbon footprint before they ever hit the highway. Ebikes & trikes, not so much.

Big EVs still have a huge carbon footprint before they ever hit the highway. Ebikes & trikes, not so much.
I guess the point is, (E-fill in the blank) is heading the right direction. (E-) will get cleaner & cheaper to the point it may become free. In fact I believe Free Health Care, Electricity and Internet Access will become a human right for everyone. I didn't feel that way 10 years ago, minds are changing, as humans move forward and dreams become a reality.

Last edited:
And yet e-bikes aren't going to replace cars in the US in the next couple of decades. Even for short commutes in urban areas. People don't like getting wet when it rains or their hair messed up when they go out for the night. That is just the cultural aspect, but we also don't have the infrastructure like the Netherlands does. Electric car technology isn't ready to replace the internal combustion engine either. They don't have the range to be a realistic solution in rural areas.

And yet e-bikes aren't going to replace cars in the US in the next couple of decades. Even for short commutes in urban areas. People don't like getting wet when it rains or their hair messed up when they go out for the night. That is just the cultural aspect, but we also don't have the infrastructure like the Netherlands does. Electric car technology isn't ready to replace the internal combustion engine either. They don't have the range to be a realistic solution in rural areas.
Not Yet, But that's were E-Bikes come into the picture. E-Bikes give you just enough help that riders can now do what they couldn't do with a classic bike.
If, more cites connected or built safe Biker paths, who knows what would happen.
current bike lanes are not safe....like this example

Last edited:
Not Yet, But that's were E-Bikes come into the picture. E-Bikes give you just enough help that riders can now do what they couldn't do with a classic bike.
If, more cites connected or built safe Biker paths, who knows what would happen.
That was my point. Those bike paths don't exist. E-bikes are great and do help people who would otherwise not be able to ride a bike. However, even though they can, most people won't ride a bike for commuting or errands. There are cultural barriers to people doing that in the US. While record numbers of people are buying and enjoying e-bikes, it is still just a very small number compared to those who exclusively use cars.

Agreed, Rural America will always need something that can haul a quantity of goods to or from
the market. The big issues there are the neglected, underfunded rural electrical grids. Still, the
continuous promiscuous use of cars needs to come down. How many errands might best be served
by mass transit or say a short ride to a nearby store?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I'm not the target demographic for pickups. And if I did intend to buy a pickup, it would be something much smaller like the upcoming Hyundai Santa Cruz. But I just watched the above video and I'm absolutely impressed that they are going to offer it starting at $40k USD. Again, I understand the "dislike" for big pickups unless you need it but I really love that they're going to mass market this and I hope it's a big success so that other brands will follow suit to bring this technology to a lower price-point.

Ford is bringing out a new small pickup, called the Maverick, (smaller than the new Ranger) in 2022. This would be a perfect platform for a small, EV pickup for those who would purchase an electric pickup, but want something a lot smaller that the full-sized F150.
Looks like the Maverick will be around the same size as the new Santa Cruz, but (I think) with a slightly larger bed.

Ford is bringing out a new small pickup, called the Maverick, (smaller than the new Ranger) in 2022. This would be a perfect platform for a small, EV pickup for those who would purchase an electric pickup, but want something a lot smaller that the full-sized F150.
Looks like the Maverick will be around the same size as the new Santa Cruz, but (I think) with a slightly larger bed.
if IĀ“m still here ten years down the road, maybe iĀ“ll buy a used one, always had good luck with
old fords.

How can you not be excited about this! If the range is 400 average, no worry about running out of charge. My F150 gets the same, three year and Iā€™ll have one. (I donā€™t trust 1st year cars). This will begins the most amazing time for car enthuses. The smaller version, GMCā€™s version, Toyota versions. Imagine when youā€™ll be able to charge your EV with solar panel!
Then solar roof will be the norm. We live in interesting times if youā€™re 60+. From jet engine to walking on the moon, color TV, cell phones, computers, nuke power, An now the dawn of commonly used clean energy!

Back