For those who still have both?

Chancelucky2

How much do you still ride your non e-bike?

I've ridden mine once in the two and a half months since I got mine, but some of that is the novelty
of the new toy.
This sounds terrible, but a lot of us here are 60 or older. Is the e-bike like a cane or a walker for people who still
want to get around on 2 wheels? Once we
cross over, we maybe don't go back.
I like to think that it's simply more fun and more like switching from a land line phone to a cell phone. You can now use it
in more places and it does more things.

Oh my. Out of 1668 recorded miles for this year, I rode my regular bike 42.6 miles. Last year, it was 1706 recorded miles with 115 for the pedal bike. It's actually my nicest bike as far as brakes, weight, and shifting. Maybe I can get some miles on it before it snows again.

Unless I rent one somewhere while on vacation, I will probably never ride a regular bike again.

I haven't ridden mine at all since getting my ebike a comparable time ago (2.5 months), but I'm almost totally a functional rider (commuter) this time of year anyway, and living in the far north I do it to get from point A to point B, not for recreation. Maybe in the spring.

But more likely, I am contemplating putting really knobby tires on my old MTB commuter and use it as a "slusher" or snow bike for those occasional heavy snow days that the ebike might work less well/be most vulnerable to damage from road salt etc. If I do that I may just leave it that way. I haven't need to yet, but the ebike will be getting studded tires for colder, icier days.

I still have 3 "acoustic" bikes. My wife likes to give me a hard time about how much space they take up in our garage.
One I road across the U.S. in 1987, so I keep it for sentimental reasons. Interestingly, the 80's touring bike is also the most
comfortable riding bike I've ever had.
The second is a Bianchi racing bike that my wife bought me for my first birthday after we'd gotten together (also many years ago).
The third was a Christmas gift from her.
I suppose the sane solution would be to get a bigger garage, so I can get more e-bikes :}

My daughter seems to have adopted my oldbike, so I get to ride it on the rare occasion where she runs out of energy.

I get to ride other peoples oldbikes a lot - very few people turn down offers of test rides.

I leave the electricity off and pedal my converted cargo bike (left) mostly unless wind goes over 10 mph in my face or I'm going more than 25 miles. non-motor MTB had a problem skidding and throwing me over the handlebars, so I've parked it. I do ride the MTB when I'm going to chain the bike up in front of Kentucky Center of the Arts, in downtown Louisville, or outside Yum center (arena) 2 blocks away. MTB has less resistance than the DD hub with no electricity so I'm not missing any exercise. Except I'll never again spend 5.7 hours with pulse 150 fighting a 15-25 mph headwind to get home 25 miles from my country place. Electricity to the rescue. **** global warming, that wind never used to happen until late October.
Belt is getting tight, I only rode the e-bike 4 miles yesterday, so I got on the exercycle and ran the pulse up to 100-120 for 30 minutes watching TV. Use it or lose it; I need my muscles. Heart muscle too.

Last edited:
Since getting one in July, 99% on the eBike, since I only had the chance to ride during the weekends. I rode my main MTB once to and from a friend's house, because I was lending it out to another friend who needed something during our group rides.

I put over 2000 miles on my Trek MTB in 2017 but only about 30 since getting the e-bike in 2018. Sadly, I've only put about 1000 on the e-bike this year due to the awful weather here in the northeastern US. Like Alaskan, I just turn off the assist if I get "nostalgic".

I believe I'll still ride the Trek some but not as much as the e-bike. I have a couple of National Park trips planned for 2019. I'll take both bikes with me and ride the MTB on trails closed to e-bikes.

It isn't that I no longer enjoy riding my conventional bike. The e-bike provides a significantly different experience. With it's increased range and my decreasing stamina, I can get to places I could never reach before with the Trek. It also gives me the confidence to undertake longer rides due to possible health and safety issues. Both bikes have their place.

I felt sorry for the Trek collecting dust in a corner of the garage after going electric. I decided it was time for somebody else to take care of it. Too nice a bike to let it just sit there and rot. I was surprised by what I was able to get for it, and the gentleman that bought it was ecstatic!

I have ridden my two acoustic MTBs(hardtail and FS) twice since getting an ebike in early September just to see what it is like.

While I did much better than I expected(ebike has really improved my fitness), going uphill just is so slow without a motor. Overall average speed was not that far off (11mph vs 14mph(ebike)) for a 14 mile 800ft total vertical ride (lots of rolling hills).

I have already converted the hardtail to an ebike.

I will keep the FS as is is for riding non-ebike trails, hopefully more trails will open for ebikes and if so I will go 100% ebike.

Almost all of my commuting is on an ebike, but I still ride my road bike as a commuter once in a while. About 80% of my riding is commuting. The other 20% is mountain biking and road riding. So if I had to guess probably about 75% of my riding is on an ebike. I'll ride almost 6,000 km's this year.

Back