folding all terrain e-bike for hilly terrain

Puu

Newbie here! Ex mountain biker and rock climber with a damaged knee on the search for the fitting e-bike.
After purchase of a 250 watt e-scooter that is supposed to go 15 miles I found it to be only good for 4 miles on flat terrain. Bummer!!!
After that disappointment I made up my mind and here I go: I am looking for a fold able (to put in my Vanagon) street legal e-bike, capable to manage gravel and sandy dirt roads. Wider tire with size about 20" (but real fat tire takes up to much room).
Mileage range on full throttle of about 20 miles, quality battery. Anyone here with suggestions that do not break the bank? Thanks upfront!

How hard do you plan to thrash the bike around? Call me cautious, but no folding frames for me hitting rocks, roots, etc....while on the edge of a ravine. That Prodeco design relies very heavily on the welds, instead of adding gussets or more tubes. Remember, you will be hitting obstacles with a lot more weight and possibly more speed.

How hard do you plan to thrash the bike around? Call me cautious, but no folding frames for me hitting rocks, roots, etc....while on the edge of a ravine. That Prodeco design relies very heavily on the welds, instead of adding gussets or more tubes. Remember, you will be hitting obstacles with a lot more weight and possibly more speed.

Thank you very much rich c for your important note. I am aware that there are strong limitations due to folding option. I just do not want to have a bike that falls apart going occasionally off road. Speed is not a question since a lot of off roading here means basaltic lava gravel!!! Climbing power is key!

what about a radmini or voltbike mariner and just put smaller tires on it or that sondors fold bike and put smaller tires on it a lot of the rover guys put smaller thinner tires on their bikes for commuting, but maybe the 26 inch tire is easier to find in thinner tires, not sure

I'd suggest getting a trailer hitch mounted on the Vanagon, if it doesn't already have one, and use a platform rack. Unless you can get a 2" receiver, the 1 1/4" receivers for cars and light trucks are really limited in weight carrying capability, but all will handle just one ebike.

It gives you a lot more flexibility in choice of a bicycle. What's it cost? $160-400 for the rack, depending on payload weight.

Back