Flow auto/manual mode setting?

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
Reading the little booklet on the settings for the Flow, there are instructions (item 6.6) on switching between "auto" and "manual" modes, but zero explanation about what these choices control. Does anyone know what they're talking about, please?
IMG_20210328_114301228_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I wondered about this too. Given that it talks about "gear" (which is what I would all the 'PAS Level', there are other places in this document where they use the word gear similarly), it seems to suggest that the PAS level can be automatically changed - i.e. the PAS level would adjust somehow based on your speed/pedaling? The Espin 'owners manual' is similarly cryptic, all it says is "P4 ... change between manual and automatic switching".

I guess we'll just have to experiment with it!

Last edited:
I wondered about this too. Given that it talks about "gear" (which is what I would all the 'PAS Level', there are other places in this document where they use the word gear similarly), it seems to suggest that the PAS level can be automatically changed - i.e. the PAS level would adjust somehow based on your speed/pedaling? The Espin 'owners manual' is similarly cryptic, all it says is "P4 ... change between manual and automatic switching".

I guess we'll just have to experiment with it!
Thanks - I've got a couple of questions I need to ask Espin, so I'll include that one on my list 😉.

I rode it once with the setting on. I think it changed the PAS on me, I moved it down and it never did it again, so maybe it's some kind of "automatic unless you ever touch it" thing.

I was wondering if it meant the actual bike gears, there are a couple connections to there, and that is a thing some bikes do. Seems no, but also I live in FL where a hill is like a 3 degree incline for 30 feet, so I've spent like 95% of my 7ish miles to far in the hardest gear just fine.

I am pretty sure it does not mean the bike gears, the derailleur is just the normal cable drive setup and has not electrical connection that I can see.
We live in NH and have some actual 'hills' near our house; I'll give it a go and report back!

Yeah, I don't think so now either, I was just wondering that ahead of time. It seems to mean the PAS. I'm probably going to turn it off, the bike took off on me the one time it changed it. I'm not sure what the logic behind it would be for.

Maybe that controls what PAS level it defaults to when you turn it on.

If it's 1, it defaults to PAS 1 when you turn it on (which is what my Sport currently does), when it's 0, it's in PAS 0... or "manual" mode.

I messed around with it some today. It is not entirely obvious how it works.

When it is enabled, it seems to 'automatically' change the PAS level up based on your pedaling. (i.e I was in PAS 1 and as I pedaled the PAS level increased up to 3 or 4 by itself). However, if you manually change the PAS level with the buttons, then that seems to put it back in 'manual' mode (i.e. PAS level only changes with the buttons). Once it goes it manual mode then the automatic mode does not seem to kick back in again until you turn on/off.

Because I don't really understand exactly when it does things 'automatically', I'm going to turn it off.

I messed around with it some today. It is not entirely obvious how it works.

When it is enabled, it seems to 'automatically' change the PAS level up based on your pedaling. (i.e I was in PAS 1 and as I pedaled the PAS level increased up to 3 or 4 by itself). However, if you manually change the PAS level with the buttons, then that seems to put it back in 'manual' mode (i.e. PAS level only changes with the buttons). Once it goes it manual mode then the automatic mode does not seem to kick back in again until you turn on/off.

Because I don't really understand exactly when it does things 'automatically', I'm going to turn it off.
I concur with this, and I also turned it off.

Back