First Impressions Vado 5 IGH Automatiq

Why buy this bike if you don’t want automatic shifting? You could get the non-IGH Vado 5, or the non-automatic Vado 3 IGH.
For me you get best of both. With the controller you don't have to mess much with the app on the phone. You set what you want on the phone a save it. Then you use the controller to shift when YOU want. You have to try it yourself to really appreciate it.

Because I sometimes race and I can get a better 'gear' With the controller. Plus it's fun to use it when you're riding on your own. You stay in tune to the bike. When riding with someone else it's better to have the auto shifting.

I just found out that when you start the bike and then turn on the controller it will act as a cadence adjuster which is nice too.

Besides what's 50 bucks to have the best of both worlds. It's a reason why some other bikes have auto and manual shifting.

I’ve said this other places on the forum, but my Enviolo Manual won’t shift under load. It might need to be fixed, but also seems like a very common complaint (doubly-so for us, neither of our bikes shift while pedaling).

To me, Automatiq is a more attractive option than manual for not just cadence-based automatic control, but the virtual gear shifting. I really like how Rohloff shifts digitally. Automatiq with the controller seems like it offers some similar functionality.

I been using the controller. There is no screen in case you didn't know. Company said they were going to ad a screen but changed their minds last minute. So far I love the controller. It makes shifting perfect for me. And at a stand still you can also change gears to low if you forgot to do it. So take off will be easier once you change to low gear at a stand still.

My controller came with no battery. So had to buy one. Customer service told me it was suppose to come with one so they refunded me $5.00.

When shifting you get a real cool sound that I really like. Sounds like zig zig zig, best that I can describe. And it shifts pretty fast too.

I don't like that I have to use the enviolo app every time before I ride in the mornings And switch it to manual. So far I have not seen any way of keeping it on manual.

If you find a way please let us know. Thanks.
Excellent response and thank you. Yes, I will definitely get back to you once I get the controller. Thanks again.....

Because I sometimes race and I can get a better 'gear' With the controller. Plus it's fun to use it when you're riding on your own. You stay in tune to the bike. When riding with someone else it's better to have the auto shifting.

I just found out that when you start the bike and then turn on the controller it will act as a cadence adjuster which is nice too.

Besides what's 50 bucks to have the best of both worlds. It's a reason why some other bikes have auto and manual shifting.
Nice! Thanks for the response.

Why buy this bike if you don’t want automatic shifting? You could get the non-IGH Vado 5, or the non-automatic Vado 3 IGH.
First, I have been trying to buy a Vado 5 since before I purchased my Vado 4 over a year ago. Finally a Vado 5 showed up on the Specialized site, and although black was not my preferred color, I wanted red just like my Vado 4, I took what was available. The IGH was the only bike in XL, so that's why I have the automatic. I never had one issue with my Vado 4 in 3500 miles of riding, and I am hoping for the same with the 5. Both my Trek 8s and Giant Fastroad still use derailleurs so I actually have the best of both worlds.....depending on how I feel on a particular day. Hope that helps.....thanks.

For me you get best of both. With the controller you don't have to mess much with the app on the phone. You set what you want on the phone a save it. Then you use the controller to shift when YOU want. You have to try it yourself to really appreciate it.
Mine will arrive this week, and I can't wait to try it.

Update on the Vado 5 IGH:

After exchanging a series of emails with Specialized, I've decided to entrust my bike to a different Local Bike Shop (LBS) with a more extensive background in working on the IGH system. Despite numerous attempts at calibration, I've been unable to achieve proper engagement of the Automatiq while pedaling downhill. There's an undeniable sense of something being amiss, and I suspect that the initial shop's lack of experience with the Vado 5 IGH may have contributed to this issue. The gear shifts never quite align as desired, even during uphill climbs.

On a brighter note, the Cliq Pro controller has finally made its arrival, and it has proven to be quite impressive. While the process of manually engaging it before each ride can be a bit cumbersome, the ability to switch gears is a welcomed improvement. Today marked my fourth ride, and after the third outing yielded only an average range within ECO mode (35/35), I decided to make an adjustment. Opting for a 25/25 ECO mode setting has proved to be the perfect balance for me. Following a 52-mile ride entirely in Eco mode, I returned home with a notable 49% battery charge remaining—impressively outperforming my previous 2022 Vado 4.

Turning my attention back to the Cliq Pro, most of the shifts were seamless throughout the ride. However, on a few occasions, it felt as though the connection was momentarily disrupted. I intend to delve deeper into this behavior, although overall, the gear changes were notably smooth.

The Vado 5, with its buttery-smooth ride and whisper-quiet belt drivetrain, presents an enticing package. Personally, I find this bike to be particularly well-suited for commuters. The absence of concerns about chain slap on clothing or constant derailleur adjustments due to misalignment is a welcome respite from maintenance issues often faced by those who opt for traditional setups. Gradually, I find myself warming up to the IGH system, and if the new LBS can address the erratic behavior of the Automatiq feature, I'm inclined to keep this bike.

Lastly, my preference veers away from the Pathfinder tires. They possess a certain "mushy" quality and produce an audible noise during cornering. In contrast, I've always favored the Super Moto X's, and I've made arrangements to have them installed later this week.

Attachments

• 20230812_134934.jpg
    20230812_134934.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Vado 5 IGH.jpg
    Vado 5 IGH.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 144

After exchanging a series of emails with Specialized, I've decided to entrust my bike to a different Local Bike Shop (LBS) with a more extensive background in working on the IGH system. Despite numerous attempts at calibration, I've been unable to achieve proper engagement of the Automatiq while pedaling downhill. There's an undeniable sense of something being amiss, and I suspect that the initial shop's lack of experience with the Vado 5 IGH may have contributed to this issue. The gear shifts never quite align as desired, even during uphill climbs.

On a brighter note, the Cliq Pro controller has finally made its arrival, and it has proven to be quite impressive. While the process of manually engaging it before each ride can be a bit cumbersome, the ability to switch gears is a welcomed improvement. Today marked my fourth ride, and after the third outing yielded only an average range within ECO mode (35/35), I decided to make an adjustment. Opting for a 25/25 ECO mode setting has proved to be the perfect balance for me. Following a 52-mile ride entirely in Eco mode, I returned home with a notable 49% battery charge remaining—impressively outperforming my previous 2022 Vado 4.

Turning my attention back to the Cliq Pro, most of the shifts were seamless throughout the ride. However, on a few occasions, it felt as though the connection was momentarily disrupted. I intend to delve deeper into this behavior, although overall, the gear changes were notably smooth.

The Vado 5, with its buttery-smooth ride and whisper-quiet belt drivetrain, presents an enticing package. Personally, I find this bike to be particularly well-suited for commuters. The absence of concerns about chain slap on clothing or constant derailleur adjustments due to misalignment is a welcome respite from maintenance issues often faced by those who opt for traditional setups. Gradually, I find myself warming up to the IGH system, and if the new LBS can address the erratic behavior of the Automatiq feature, I'm inclined to keep this bike.

Lastly, my preference veers away from the Pathfinder tires. They possess a certain "mushy" quality and produce an audible noise during cornering. In contrast, I've always favored the Super Moto X's, and I've made arrangements to have them installed later this week.
Great writeup! Have you tested a Vado 5.0 IGH at Specialized to compare to yours?

For the tires, are you sticking with a 2.3 (?) inch wide like the Pathfinders? I got the impression that the tire volume on the Vado’s helped the ride a lot.

You might consider asking the Mother Ship if you can be their 'Beta Tester', as the bike is a horrible intro to the automation of e-biking, and your contributions should be welcomed and accepted.

Opting for a 25/25 ECO mode setting has proved to be the perfect balance for me. Following a 52-mile ride entirely in Eco mode, I returned home with a notable 49% battery charge remaining—impressively outperforming my previous 2022 Vado 4.
A question of curiosity: Did you ride your Vado 4 in the 25/25% ECO as well? What was the battery range compared to Vado 5 IGH?

Great writeup! Have you tested a Vado 5.0 IGH at Specialized to compare to yours?

For the tires, are you sticking with a 2.3 (?) inch wide like the Pathfinders? I got the impression that the tire volume on the Vado’s helped the ride a lot.
Thanks for the response.......no, I use 2.4's on the Vado 4 and Trek 8s....plenty of clearance, no rubbing. 8000 miles on the Moto X's on multiple ebikes and not one flat...knock on wood. Take care....

You might consider asking the Mother Ship if you can be their 'Beta Tester', as the bike is a horrible intro to the automation of e-biking, and your contributions should be welcomed and accepted.
Thanks sir, and I will suggest that. This should be seamless, but it appears testing was not complete or to a sufficient level. I did drop the bike off today (new LBS) to see if they can get the automatic setting calibrated. I will provide an update.

Greetings....there are never any Vado 5 IGH's in stock for me to compare....anywhere. Not even the non IGH versions are available. Looks like the Specialized Sale has also come to an end......

UPDATE:

The Vado 5 IGH in the first week of ownership, started displaying a flashing 01% battery message on the Mastermind screen. While charging, the battery never indicated the charge level, it would just flash 1% and continue to charge. I knew it was finished charging when the display would go blank. Well, a trip to the LBS revealed a bad master wiring harness, and now I am waiting for the new part to come in. Hopefully this is the only issue I will have with this bike. My previous '22 Vado 4 was absolutely trouble free for 3500 miles.

First Impressions Vado 5 IGH

I took my bike out for the first time two days ago, and I must say, the experience left me quite disappointed. Despite recalibrating the bike twice, my initial ride through the neighborhood was far from satisfying. The internally geared hub (IGH) system failed to impress me in several ways. It appears that no matter what I do, the bike consistently picks the wrong gear. Even on flat, smooth stretches of road, the gear shifts feel erratic and unpredictable. When I encounter a hill, I can't help but notice that the bike never seems to find the optimal low gear for proper assistance. And don't get me started on downhill pedaling – it's as if the bike simply refuses to engage, forcing me to coast and wait until it deigns to kick back in.

Interestingly, my local bike shop (LBS) mentioned that I'm their first customer to try out the IGH system. It seems they're learning on the go just as much as I am. According to them, it took a whopping fifteen attempts to get the calibration right. I've already reached out to Specialized's Rider Care Support for help, but I can't shake off this initial feeling of disappointment with the current version. I can't help but think that a manual gear option, like the throttle mechanism seen in other IGH models, would greatly improve the situation.

During my second ride, I discovered that the ECO mode suits my riding style perfectly – it offers ample power. Although I briefly switched to Sport mode, I noticed an immediate burst of power. Comparing the Vado 4's 70nm to the Vado 5's 90nm, I can now attest that there is indeed a discernible difference. My experience with the Vado 5's ECO mode feels akin to the Trek 8s's (which I also own) 140% tour setting.

Upon closer examination, I realized that during my third ride, the bike never shifted beyond 4th gear, despite having 9 gears at its disposal. Recalibrating multiple times yielded no change in this frustrating behavior. In my quest for a solution, I contacted Specialized and learned that there is a manual shifting alternative for the IGH Automatiq – the Enviolo Cliq Pro Controller. I promptly ordered one, which should arrive within the next week or so. At this point, I'm left with no choice but to entrust my bike to the LBS for a resolution or potentially a refund. While I appreciate the quietness of the belt drive, I can't help but feel let down by this aspect of the Specialized offering. I'll continue to put more miles on the bike, and I promise to return with an update once I have more to share.
I have a manual IGH (Shimano Nexus 7) on my Ariel Rider C class, and can think of no reason why I would want an automatic. Of course, I still prefer manual tranny in autos, as well, having spent my first 60 years of driving with stick shifts. (Edit: make that 70 years).

Last edited:
I have a manual IGH (Shimano Nexus 7) on my Ariel Rider C class, and can think of no reason why I would want an automatic. Of course, I still prefer manual tranny in autos, as well, having spent my first 60 years of driving with stick shifts. (Edit: make that 70 years).
Yes, the manual option just works better for me. Thanks.

UPDATE:

The Vado 5 IGH in the first week of ownership, started displaying a flashing 01% battery message on the Mastermind screen. While charging, the battery never indicated the charge level, it would just flash 1% and continue to charge. I knew it was finished charging when the display would go blank. Well, a trip to the LBS revealed a bad master wiring harness, and now I am waiting for the new part to come in. Hopefully this is the only issue I will have with this bike. My previous '22 Vado 4 was absolutely trouble free for 3500 miles.
SECOND UPDATE:

I'm thrilled to share that the woes with my Vado 5 IGH have finally been rectified. Taking the bike to a different shop proved to be a game-changer, highlighting the disparities in assembly quality between the two shops.

The first shop's lack of expertise became apparent when the second shop, without going into specifics, uncovered a series of issues. Interestingly, the second shop chose not to disclose details, perhaps to avoid further criticism of the initial bike shop that mishandled the assembly.

One of the major problems I encountered - the inability to adjust my cadence via the Specialized app - has been successfully resolved. This feature now functions seamlessly. Additionally, the long-standing issue of pedals failing to engage during downhill rides has been resolved, significantly improving the overall riding experience.

Today's ride was nothing short of exceptional. I find the Automatiq feature commendable, particularly for commuters seeking a hassle-free experience. For them, it's simply a matter of getting on the bike and riding - no complexities. However, as a rider who tends to adopt a faster and more aggressive style, I personally favor the manual mode when using the Cliq Pro Controller. Having the ability to handpick my gears adds an extra layer of enjoyment to my rides.

Another interesting observation that I've made today, which seems to resonate with other riders in this forum, is that the 90nm Brose motor doesn't exhibit a substantial difference in power compared to my Vado 4 equipped with a chain/cassette and 70nm motor. Based on my analysis, the Eco setting of 35/35 on the Vado 4 is akin to the Vado 5's Eco mode at 25/25. Of course, this is a subjective assessment. When it comes to Sport mode, the Vado 4 at 100/40 feels remarkably speedy. Consequently, I've set the Vado 5 IGH's Sport mode to 100/50, yielding a similar, if not slightly milder, sensation compared to the Vado 4. But, when I switch the Vado 5 to Turbo mode, it truly takes off. It's possible that the motor might require some time to fully break in, but overall, I remain thoroughly content with this purchase thus far.

Yes, the manual option just works better for me. Thanks.
I should clarify my preference for manual shifting. An automatic can't anticipate what is ahead on a route, but a person can, I can see that I'm going to need to shift down and can do so, timing my shifting with the increasing steepness. Same thing with stopping. As one must do with a derailleur, I like to shift down to the gear I'll be wanting to start in when I can go again. I realize that an automatic probably can do this downshifting, but I also want to be ready to resume my pedaling cadence if the opportunity to go should happen before a complete stop.

Back