First Impressions Vado 5 IGH Automatiq

Sefutau2020

Region
USA
City
Northern VA
First Impressions Vado 5 IGH

I took my bike out for the first time two days ago, and I must say, the experience left me quite disappointed. Despite recalibrating the bike twice, my initial ride through the neighborhood was far from satisfying. The internally geared hub (IGH) system failed to impress me in several ways. It appears that no matter what I do, the bike consistently picks the wrong gear. Even on flat, smooth stretches of road, the gear shifts feel erratic and unpredictable. When I encounter a hill, I can't help but notice that the bike never seems to find the optimal low gear for proper assistance. And don't get me started on downhill pedaling – it's as if the bike simply refuses to engage, forcing me to coast and wait until it deigns to kick back in.

Interestingly, my local bike shop (LBS) mentioned that I'm their first customer to try out the IGH system. It seems they're learning on the go just as much as I am. According to them, it took a whopping fifteen attempts to get the calibration right. I've already reached out to Specialized's Rider Care Support for help, but I can't shake off this initial feeling of disappointment with the current version. I can't help but think that a manual gear option, like the throttle mechanism seen in other IGH models, would greatly improve the situation.

During my second ride, I discovered that the ECO mode suits my riding style perfectly – it offers ample power. Although I briefly switched to Sport mode, I noticed an immediate burst of power. Comparing the Vado 4's 70nm to the Vado 5's 90nm, I can now attest that there is indeed a discernible difference. My experience with the Vado 5's ECO mode feels akin to the Trek 8s's (which I also own) 140% tour setting.

Upon closer examination, I realized that during my third ride, the bike never shifted beyond 4th gear, despite having 9 gears at its disposal. Recalibrating multiple times yielded no change in this frustrating behavior. In my quest for a solution, I contacted Specialized and learned that there is a manual shifting alternative for the IGH Automatiq – the Enviolo Cliq Pro Controller. I promptly ordered one, which should arrive within the next week or so. At this point, I'm left with no choice but to entrust my bike to the LBS for a resolution or potentially a refund. While I appreciate the quietness of the belt drive, I can't help but feel let down by this aspect of the Specialized offering. I'll continue to put more miles on the bike, and I promise to return with an update once I have more to share.

Sounds like your Enviolo is not setup right or has a problem, and if your LBS is not properly trained on it, that may not be fun to fix.
You may want to download the Enviolo app and watch the various Enviolo videos on how to use it so you can check its settings yourself, independently from the Specialized stuff.

Sounds like your Enviolo is not setup right or has a problem, and if your LBS is not properly trained on it, that may not be fun to fix.
You may want to download the Enviolo app and watch the various Enviolo videos on how to use it so you can check its settings yourself, independently from the Specialized stuff.
Thanks...did that already. When I attempted to calibrate it through the Enviolo app, it never did. I think it is defective in my opinion, but Specialized is aware of the issue, and the bike will be delivered to the shop this week. Stay tuned.....

Upon closer examination, I realized that during my third ride, the bike never shifted beyond 4th gear, despite having 9 gears at its disposal.

FYI, there are no gears. It’s a CVT- continuously variable transmission. Just like a Prius 😆 The little bars on the display are just representative of the ratio, not an actual gear indicator.

That being said, it definitely sounds like something is not right with your transmission. My commute ends with a 500ft elevation gain and my IGH always gets it right.

FYI, there are no gears. It’s a CVT- continuously variable transmission. Just like a Prius 😆 The little bars on the display are just representative of the ratio, not an actual gear indicator.

That being said, it definitely sounds like something is not right with your transmission. My commute ends with a 500ft elevation gain and my IGH always gets it right.
Thanks...once the Cliq Pro arrives, I will change to manual mode, and go through those gears/ratios/steps.....according to my riding style......which is fast!

Has Specialized not provided you with assurance that this will be promptly taken care of? The automatiq and Vado 5.0 is a really seamless experience. Also curious to hear your thoughts on the cliq pro!

Has Specialized not provided you with assurance that this will be promptly taken care of? The automatiq and Vado 5.0 is a really seamless experience. Also curious to hear your thoughts on the cliq pro!
They were quick to respond at first, but I have not heard from them in 2 days.....now I am going to up the ante a little. The bike "fails" to want to calibrate, even when I use the Enviolo app directly. I can pedal slow, fast, medium....still will not calibrate. Enviolo recommends lifting the back wheel, and that worked ONCE, but not anymore. I may have gotten a dud, or the LBS screwed something up. This is their FIRST IGH bike period they have built, but they are a Specialized shop, and have been so for decades. We will see what happens shortly.

CALIBRATION ISSUE SOLVED!!!! -

Well, I solved the calibration issue. I guess Rider Support and the LBS never thought of this, but the engineering part of me, would not let it go. I was using my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 to try and connect, and remember having a similar issue with a Bluetooth device, outside of cycling. I powered on my Moto 6 XL, and voila, it calibrated instantly. I will still use the manual shifting mode once the Cliq Pro arrives, but this alleviates a major issue.

Awesome!!

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to hear your thoughts on the riding experience. How it shifts, how it handles hills, etc. There should be a virtual gear thing too, in addition to the cadence selection.
Thinking about adding this to my IGH Gazelle..

Awesome!!

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to hear your thoughts on the riding experience. How it shifts, how it handles hills, etc. There should be a virtual gear thing too, in addition to the cadence selection.
Thinking about adding this to my IGH Gazelle..
Sure thing....I am in the USA, and the part is coming from Germany, so it may take a week or so....the install should be a snap. Thanks....

On the specialized controller, do you have the ability to put the Enviolo in manual mode with a few simulated gears selectable with the factory controls, or do you need the app for that and a separate Enviolo shifter?

Last edited:
On the specialized controller, do you have the ability to put the Enviolo in manual mode with a few simulated gears selectable with the factory controls, or do you need the app for that and a separate Enviolo shifter
There is no option for manual mode within the Specialized app, and placing the hub in manual mode, requires the Cliq Pro Controller. Here is a video that helps.

Manual Shifting Mode = Time slot 4:36

Hope this helps.....

That is what I though, and it is a shame...
Does the controller overrides the setting every time you boot, and you have to set it to manual every time, or does it stick once set?

That is what I though, and it is a shame...
Does the controller also override the setting every time you boot, and you have to set it to manual every time, or does it stick once set?
Not sure yet, I will have the controller in a few weeks and will advise then. What Specialized told me was that the bike stays in manual mode, until you choose to place it back in auto. I hope that is correct, because it would make it a seamless operation for me.

If it does not calibrate, then they indeed have to get it fixed...
Not sure yet, I will have the controller in a few weeks and will advise then. What Specialized told me was that the bike stays in manual mode, until you choose to place it back in auto. I hope that is correct, because it would make it a seamless operation for me.
I been using the controller. There is no screen in case you didn't know. Company said they were going to ad a screen but changed their minds last minute. So far I love the controller. It makes shifting perfect for me. And at a stand still you can also change gears to low if you forgot to do it. So take off will be easier once you change to low gear at a stand still.

My controller came with no battery. So had to buy one. Customer service told me it was suppose to come with one so they refunded me $5.00.

When shifting you get a real cool sound that I really like. Sounds like zig zig zig, best that I can describe. And it shifts pretty fast too.

I don't like that I have to use the enviolo app every time before I ride in the mornings And switch it to manual. So far I have not seen any way of keeping it on manual.

If you find a way please let us know. Thanks.

I don't like that I have to use the enviolo app every time before I ride in the mornings And switch it to manual. So far I have not seen any way of keeping it on manual.

Why buy this bike if you don’t want automatic shifting? You could get the non-IGH Vado 5, or the non-automatic Vado 3 IGH.

Back