First Ride on the New Allant 9.9s

Re: "Trek has two other stems available, same angle, one is 20 mm longer, the other is 20 mm shorter. Make sure you get the longer stem."

On an Allant 9.9 S??????

Re: "Trek has two other stems available, same angle, one is 20 mm longer, the other is 20 mm shorter. Make sure you get the longer stem."

On an Allant 9.9 S??????
yes 3 different lengths - same style stem- through dealer only.

Better more specific pictures on request. And my reasoning for the Allant over the Vado later in a longer post. Suffice to say I was heavily influenced by EBR such as the Brooks saddle rather than the padded AMS I was so proud of on the SC&. I did intend on getting the rail extender and battery but Alaskan was persuasive in his arguments against. The handlebars came from Pushcar's Wattwagon. I thought to try the Thudbuster on Carytown's Tony suggestion, and because I didn't feel the kinect was getting the job done though the recent unwanted 30lb weight loss could have something to do with it...ya think.
I've barely been out but these quick observations. The seat is slipperier than I was used to and I almost wiped out before I got started on my drive with the recent crush and run dressing. The bike feels premium compared to my SC7 not only in torque and acceleration but other more subtle aspects I've not yet grown attuned to. The main reasons I tried the Molokov handlebar was to give my bad back a stretch. The tape Erin of Carytown bikes put on made the horns a fine place to get a bit more aero. Also the real estate allowed the Surly bag a place to hang. When I picked it up on Thursday I was surprised to find both a new rack and the trunk bag. Tony did a fine job of adapting the rack to the rear, and Erin thought to put the trunk bag on to see if I liked it. I did and also the 50% off.
One problem I've had is getting my iPhone to pair with the COBI mount. Tony demonstrated his phone instantly connecting in the cradle. I've registered and seem to be able to log in but so far no dice.
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG

With the Sram AXS controller, I've had to learn to keep my thumb away from it while riding as I would regularly shift inadvertently going over bumps.

On an Allant 9.9 S??????

If it is anything like the non-e Trek offerings then those different length stems are size specific rather than being an offering to adjust the geometry. Also going for a longer stem will cause the bike to have less agile steering. Larger frames having longer stems seem to have steeper head angles which should balance it out.

If it is anything like the non-e Trek offerings then those different length stems are size specific rather than being an offering to adjust the geometry. Also going for a longer stem will cause the bike to have less agile steering. Larger frames having longer stems seem to have steeper head angles which should balance it out.
The manager at our local Trek said he could get me a different length stem for my large allant 9.9 if I requested it. However, I think the fit is quite good out of the box.

The manager at our local Trek said he could get me a different length stem for my large allant 9.9 if I requested it. However, I think the fit is quite good out of the box.

Maybe I am wrong. I checked the website and the stem length increases 20mm for each size up (M:75. L:95, xl:115).

It is really good to hear that the fit is good out of the box that is really a big plus. Sometimes it is really hard to make a misfit comfortable without messing up the riding quality too much.

@Mulezen I have about 350 miles on the new Allant now and may be changing my mind about adding the range boost to it. What I am finding is that the new gen 4 Bosch speed motor is quite thirsty for electrons at speed. I am getting around 40 miles before the remaining battery drops below 20% with the bike set on Tour with an average speed around 15 mph and 32 miles on Sport assist mode with average speed around 185mph. This is roughly equivalent, if not a few miles less than I get on a 75 lb. Riese & Muller Homage full suspension bike with Rohloff hub and gen 2 HS Bosch motor and a 500 watt hour power pack (it jumps up to 80+ pounds when I mount the second battery to it.

Given that the Allant has a 625 watt hour battery and weighs 51 pounds, the extra electron consumption is clearly being used for the enhanced torque made available in the gen 4 motor. As far as I can tell that extra torque makes itself particularly useful once one gets into higher speeds. It is much easier to sustain 22-25 mph speeds with the gen 4 motor and I do like riding fast and far on a regular basis, something that will require another battery, if I am going to use this bike for longer rides. I generally do at least one and often two rides per week that range between 40 and 60 miles. The Allant in any assist mode is a much quicker bike, quicker off the line, quicker to accelerate in the mid range and easier to sustain speeds in the mid 20s but all that comes at the cost of range, even on a bike that weigh 25 lbs. less.

In the interest of fairness and full disclosure. I was diagnosed with a malignant soft tissue sarcoma in my left quad back mid February and started chemotherapy just when the Allant arrived. Though I have been cycling regularly through this my energy level is down and I am riding with a bit less power than I normally do. The good news is that the tumor is shrinking and I have lost a few pounds that I put on through the winter and could still afford to drop a few more...oh and my prognosis is hopeful.

While I do have two batteries on the Homage that can accomplish the range I need, I am now on the fence about adding the range boost to the Allant. This is a byproduct of how much plain fun it is to ride this bike and I just want to be able to go further on it. Besides Trek can install the range boost hardware without the battery for around $300. I have plenty of Bosch Power Pack 500s I can borrow from other bikes.

I found a photo of the bike with the range boost hardware on it but no battery mounted. Too bad it is not designed to be easily removable and only there when you need it. While it does take away significantly from the stealthiness of the Allant, it is something I might be able to get used to. Opinions?

Allant9.9s_E.jpg

Last edited:
Alaskan - will Trek let you purchase a 2nd downtube battery and carry to keep your stealth look?

BTW - when I tested the Allant 8, the LBS were closing the store and I honestly couldn't give you much of an opinion on how it rode. The Stromer will be difficult to beat, but Stromer has their own issues with support in the USA right now.

I was just a bit surprised at how different the riding position was versus the Stromer. I will try a longer ride in the next week or so and report back.

@Mulezen I have about 350 miles on the new Allant now and may be changing my mind about adding the range boost to it. What I am finding is that the new gen 4 Bosch speed motor is quite thirsty for electrons at speed...Given that the Allant has a 625 watt hour battery and weighs 51 pounds, the extra electron consumption is clearly being used for the enhanced torque made available in the gen 4 motor... Besides Trek can install the range boost hardware without the battery for around $300. I have plenty of Bosch Power Pack 500s I can borrow from other bikes...I found a photo of the bike with the range boost hardware on it but no battery mounted. Too bad it is not designed to be easily removable and only there when you need it. While it does take away significantly from the stealthiness of the Allant, it is something I might be able to get used to. Opinions?

View attachment 49652

Hey that photo looks familiar! @Alaskan, sorry to hear about the recent health issue but hope you conquer that quickly.

So about 350 miles on the Allant? Have you noticed any change to the noise of the Gen 4 motor? I am around 300 miles and I started to think it was getting quieter but then I started to think that perhaps I was just not noticing the noise as much as my ear has acclimated. I feel that with the temps warming up, my range is improving greatly and I'm setting out with about 80% charge and getting range estimates of around 60 miles (Eco) - I'm riding mostly in Eco.

As for getting the hardware without the battery pack: I hope that is true for you. My LBS originally told me that was a possibility but after the bike arrived they reversed course and told me that Trek would only sell it with the pack. In the end, it worked out for me because I sold both my Haibike and my R&M Charger GX recently so I'm down to one new PP 500 and two 400s. As for the mounted hardware when not using the PP, I said in one of my posts that Trek really needs to design a small cargo bag to mount that will mount in place of the PP. I had the faux-battery for the R&M but it did not fit. I've been riding mostly without the 2nd pack because I'm only going out for about 20 miles at a time. I've sort of forgotten about the hardware being there. But yes, it probably detracts from the look of the bike - but I'd rather have the range option over the aesthetics. Again, it would be a big win for Trek/Bontrager to sell a cargo bag/faux-battery to mount here.

I also like the ability to ride the bike at higher speeds. In Eco, it feels light on power and I'm putting out a lot of energy on my own to maintain 17-20 mph. But that jump to Tour provides a lot of additional power and riding in the 20s is fairly easy. I've had a few stretches of riding around 23-27 in Tour. I think around 27 or 28 has been my max speed on a flat. I still haven't used Sport or Turbo.

Updated photo with the battery in place and water bottle mount switched to top tube in place of a lock mounted on seat tube:20191221_Allant9.9s_G.jpg

Last edited:
I appreciate both your thoughts on the range extender. I too have been ill for awhile. I thought the acceleration off the line was just the new skeletal me. I also thought my range would be at least equivalent to my SC7 with its 500wh. One of the reasons for my purchase other than keeping up with the Jones’ on this thread was to seduce me into going further at least once a week. Alaskan you suggested getting another 625 and slinging it under in a bag...this no longer appeal to you?

I appreciate both your thoughts on the range extender. I too have been ill for awhile. I thought the acceleration off the line was just the new skeletal me. I also thought my range would be at least equivalent to my SC7 with its 500wh. One of the reasons for my purchase other than keeping up with the Jones’ on this thread was to seduce me into going further at least once a week. Alaskan you suggested getting another 625 and slinging it under in a bag...this no longer appeal to you?
That 625 is a heavy beast, would be difficult to secure without rattling and rubbing against something and would be quite unwieldy at best. It would have to have a downtube cover attached to the side of it as well.
I was considering getting a 625 with a second cover fitted and having a custom fitted cordura nylon carrying bag made for it that could hang off one of the pannier rails in back, but the darn thing is just too long.

Having the battery positively attached to the bike, centered, low cg and electrically integrated just makes more sense. Function wins out over form, as usual.

Last edited:
Updated photo with the battery in place and water bottle mount switched to top tube in place of a lock mounted on seat tube:

My bike has two bosses low on the seat tube for mounting a bottle cage or the lock holder directly without having to use the included straps from Abus.

That makes good sense Alaskan. I’ll just, eventually as my legs come back, tickle the range top a bit until I’m pushed to the extender. Now if I can get COBI to pair I’ll know electron reservoir.
My good wishes for a speedy recovery...a perilous time to visit the hospital as well I know

My bike has two bosses low on the seat tube for mounting a bottle cage or the lock holder directly without having to use the included straps from Abus.

If the Powerpack is in place, the water bottle will not fit on the seat tube mount - at least this was the case for me and for the bottle mount I was using. My lock is mounted using the bosses but also used the included zips from Abus as extra support. Water bottle mounted on top tube due to interference with batty pack.

Hello everyone. Thanks for all this great info on the Allant!!. I am about the pull the trigger on an ebike and I am down to the Allant and the Trek Rail 9.7. I have a few questions. 1) Is the front fender easy enough to remove?. I have a Kuat bike rack that I love but it would need to clamp down on the Allant's fender. I would probably need to get a new rack. 2) How much time on the flats do you spend above 20 mph? And is it as awesome as it sounds? Before my knee replacement surgery I was pretty good on a road bike. But not often did I get above 20 on the flats. The Rail mountain bike would give me a little more versatility. It maxes out at 20 mph of course. But the roads in Atlanta have the most potholes in the world. I rarely go on any major gnarly trails but I do occasionally like to get on an old gravel road or easy trail. With the Rail I would not need to upgrade the seat post or handle bar. So price wise they are pretty much equal.

And also my wishes for a speedy recovery to Alaskan as well . I have two cancer survivors in my family and they are well!.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks...Mike

The fenders are not easy to remove as they are all alloy and have an inner liner that has to be removed to access the mounting bolts that go up onto the bottom of the fork. However it is way more solid than any of the plastic fenders that come on most bikes and might hold up to the Kuat. Is it possible to put the hook on the brace of your Kuat over the junction of the top tube and the seat tube? I have a Thule Easyfold XT rack the clamps on to the seat tube.

I am turning 70 this year, weigh in at 215 lbs. and routinely ride between 20 and 25 mph in tour or sport mode. On flat ground, decent road, with minimal wind, I can sustain that kind of speed with a heart rate of 120 in sport for about 30 minutes or longer and 135 in tour for about 15 minutes.

Either way those are two very different bikes you are looking at. You really should test ride both for a good ride on both road and trail and then make your decision. And be aware that the most common comment made by new ebike owners is that they never imagined they would be riding nearly so often or so far.

Back