First Ride on the New Allant 9.9s

Oh wow. My neighbor who is 80 introduced me to his ebike. He does at least 40 miles a day and looks maybe 60. He has a very long steep driveway and zips straight up. I can't wait. I'll keep you posted what bike I get. Thanks

Last edited:
I was going to weigh in negatively on the extra battery, Richard, but in Over 50’s picture I’ll be damned if it actually doesn’t look pretty good. Seems to work with the paint job. It would be nicer if you could ditch the connection plate when not using it, though, but I still find myself in the Go column now.

With one more 500 powerpack in the panniers, you could damn near go to Idaho for lunch. That is turning out to be one very good bicycle!

I rode a real loop today...16miles. Ride mode Tour is certainly zippier than on the SC7. I like the handlebars...the greater width, more hand positions are a plus. Less micro buzz but I’m sure this is due to a combination of factors. I am just getting used to the downshifting which drop three levels if I’m careless in thumbing.
I’m liking the absence of the ‘wall’ I experienced on the SC7 around 19mph. I do notice a mechanical sound while pedaling I hope will diminish with time. No whine present as on SC7. I plan on changing the tires to the E-Plus when the 2.15 are available.
I did test ride the Rail at CaryTown Bikes. My first intro to a dropper post. I think Alaskan’s comment about increased mileage is appropriate at least in my case. Also the tires that come with the bike do fine on gravel, and rail trails, my 400’ gravel drive is a daily test. I’ve also rode thru my pasture and the grassy road around my woods.
I do like my new Allant muchly...wish I could upgrade my body like I can the bike.

Hey that photo looks familiar! @Alaskan, sorry to hear about the recent health issue but hope you conquer that quickly.

So about 350 miles on the Allant? Have you noticed any change to the noise of the Gen 4 motor? I am around 300 miles and I started to think it was getting quieter but then I started to think that perhaps I was just not noticing the noise as much as my ear has acclimated. I feel that with the temps warming up, my range is improving greatly and I'm setting out with about 80% charge and getting range estimates of around 60 miles (Eco) - I'm riding mostly in Eco.

As for getting the hardware without the battery pack: I hope that is true for you. My LBS originally told me that was a possibility but after the bike arrived they reversed course and told me that Trek would only sell it with the pack. In the end, it worked out for me because I sold both my Haibike and my R&M Charger GX recently so I'm down to one new PP 500 and two 400s. As for the mounted hardware when not using the PP, I said in one of my posts that Trek really needs to design a small cargo bag to mount that will mount in place of the PP. I had the faux-battery for the R&M but it did not fit. I've been riding mostly without the 2nd pack because I'm only going out for about 20 miles at a time. I've sort of forgotten about the hardware being there. But yes, it probably detracts from the look of the bike - but I'd rather have the range option over the aesthetics. Again, it would be a big win for Trek/Bontrager to sell a cargo bag/faux-battery to mount here.

I also like the ability to ride the bike at higher speeds. In Eco, it feels light on power and I'm putting out a lot of energy on my own to maintain 17-20 mph. But that jump to Tour provides a lot of additional power and riding in the 20s is fairly easy. I've had a few stretches of riding around 23-27 in Tour. I think around 27 or 28 has been my max speed on a flat. I still haven't used Sport or Turbo.

Updated photo with the battery in place and water bottle mount switched to top tube in place of a lock mounted on seat tube:View attachment 49653
What's the make/model of the mini tire pump you have there?

Take good care of yourself Alaskan. I hope you get well very soon.

The additional drain is expected since the support percentages are higher than the previous gen all around. Also gen2 hs motor was probably(a bit of a speculation but user experiences match this) cutting much earlier (likely starting to decline gently from 21mph to 27-28) and that was probably the major reason why it was easier to sustain higher speeds with a derestricted cx than the hs motor.

...I have a Kuat bike rack that I love but it would need to clamp down on the Allant's fender. I would probably need to get a new rack. 2) How much time on the flats do you spend above 20 mph?...

I purchased the Kuat just prior to the Covid lockdowns (and sold my Easyfold). At the LBS that I purchased the Kuat from, we put an Allant on the rack and tested the fit. If you clamp the hook just below the fender it seems to have plenty of tire to grab and hold the bike securely. I'm attaching 3 photos were I was testing the hold on my Haibike and a Tern with 20" wheels. They both have fenders. If I were you, I definitely wouldn't spend the money on a new rack until you've bought the bike and tested the fit. Then if you aren't comfortable with the fit, you can go with something different. I think the Easyfold is one of the few out there that is rated for heavier bikes and which doesn't use tire hooks.

As for riding above 20 on flats. Very easy to do in Tour or above. You'll have to really work to achieve that in Eco. I don't spend a lot of time riding above 20 just because I've been riding mostly residential streets due to Covid work-from-home. Most of that type of riding is start/stop.

Kuat1.jpgKuat2.jpgKuat3.jpg

OK, maybe I should start a separate/different post.
If not mistaken, I had posted in an independent posting back a few months ago when I got my new Allant 9.9S, I had odd noises.
I likened then to an agitator in a washing machine in the wash cycle.
That is to say, while peddling, in any mode, the "kerchung, kerchung, kerchung" which has gotten more pronounced, is evident more now than before.
I've gone through the "break-in period", approaching 700 milessince December when I first took possession of the new bike.
The harder I pedal, the more pronounced the noise.
Of course, I could ignore, but a parallel analogy of having a car with a "tap-tap-tap" from a bad lifter causing catastrophic engine failure eventually, my concern is why me....AGAIN!
I went through this crap with my previous Super Commuter 8S, and no my new $6k bike.
Yes, I am annoyed. Yes, I am venting.
However, I'm tired of contacting my local bike shop and the Trek mother ship.
As in the past, they surely stand behind their products, but heck, not even 700 mile and here we go again?
Certainly, I feel like a beta tester.
I hope it is resolve easily, and that others don't have a similar experience.
As a secondary item the Smartphone Hub loses it bluetooth connection quite frequently with my iPhone XR and everything needs to be reset to get it working again.
Gotta love this stuff.

Back