First Ride on the New Allant 9.9s

So happy I don't own a carbon bike :) The list of "don'ts" seems to be overwhelming...

I was thinking if I wanted to buy an Allant+ (rather the aluminium 8s than the carbon 9.9s). The answer was "no". The bike is as good as my Vado 5 but the thing that discouraged me was the Bosch motor, regardless of what generation it could be. I simply cannot imagine riding any e-bike that wouldn't be silent. Even the hub-motor of my other bike only makes any noise when spinning up and the Brose motor of my Vado is just inaudible.

I have the Baramind BAM Trek handlebars on my Allant 9.9, however after seeing the Baramind BAM City handlebars I order them and will be here in a few days.
If anyone wants to buy them, they are maybe a month old (the Baramind BAM Trek handlebars), as I too prefer the more swept bak angle (I'm old), and got the wrong ones initally.

Alaskan, I had the same bike rack that you have. With a carbon frame I'd recommend you use this to cushion the carbon when clamping down your bike.

Carbon frame protector: https://www.carid.com/thule/carbon-frame-protector-mpn-984101.html
I already have the carbon protector for my Allant on the Easyfold. The problem is that carbon fiber tubing is more subject to crushing than alloy. The clamp arm can be used on the seat tube safely as there is the seatpost inside of the tube, reinforcing its structure.

Kinekt 2.1 orange springs. I've had it on other bikes for 2 years. 2nd only to full suspension. I wouldn't ride any hard tail bike without a body float.

I have to confess Alaskan I ordered the very same seat-post as yours before I asked the question... The one is for my Good Ole Mule e-bike.
🤣

You have a bad, bad influence on me! Shame on you! Hahaha!

I already have the carbon protector for my Allant on the Easyfold. The problem is that carbon fiber tubing is more subject to crushing than alloy. The clamp arm can be used on the seat tube safely as there is the seatpost inside of the tube, reinforcing its structure.

I purchased the Thule carbon protector but then sold my Easyfold just last week. But on one use prior to selling the Easyfold, I stopped short of fully clamping the jaws of the Easyfold's arm onto Allant's frame. Even with the carbon protector I was hesitant to really clamp down. I think I'm hanging onto that carbon protector however because it looks useful as a frame protector from my Abus lock. If I ever get back to commuting I think I'm gonna just leave the carbon protector on the bike at the point where I usually have the lock threaded through the frame. Just to prevent some scraping. On my aluminum bikes I usually put some clear frame protector film for such purpose.

The difference in the overall length between the Allant and the Delight is astonishing! Like skiing with 207cm your whole life and all of a sudden everyone was on 283s. I guess it's a tad more responsive, but still tracks well?
Ok, call me stupid but looking at the picture I can't tell which one is longer.

Alaskan, looks like a very nice bike. I have to admit I'm jealous.

Regarding the carbon frame protector it says only to be used with Thule racks that have a torque limiter knob? Seems odd to me.

Ok, call me stupid but looking at the picture I can't tell which one is longer.
Probably not readily apparent in a photo. Per the specs at the websites the L frame Delite has about a 5 inch longer wheelbase. I experienced the same on my older model Haibike Trekking vs R&M Charger wherein the Haibike felt more agile and sporty but the R&M felt better out on the open road. The difference in handling attributable to the difference in wheelbase was noticeable.

Alaskan, looks like a very nice bike. I have to admit I'm jealous.

Regarding the carbon frame protector it says only to be used with Thule racks that have a torque limiter knob? Seems odd to me.

The Thule Easyfold has a torque limiter knob on the adjustable arms that grip the bike's frame or seatpost. I imagine the protector results in less pressure being applied by the clamp vs what would be applied otherwise or on a non-carbon frame bike w/out the protector. In my case, in a one time use I still stopped short of the torque limits of the knob.

The only photos of it that I have so far are on the car rack picking it up from the Trek Shop and sitting on the stand being worked on in the basement. I'll try to get a few out on the road over the coming days.

View attachment 47553
How do you like your Thule carrier? We got one last year when my wife got her Verve+ that just wouldn't work on our Saris rack, and then this year I also got an e-bike and this has been a dynamite solution to how to carry two heavy bikes with fenders!

I picked up My new Allant 9s today. Greats thanks to Erin and Tony of Carytown Bicycles for their excellent advice and wrenching in these plague times. Pictures and excuses in a day or so.

Attachments

• F554434D-0F16-4044-AE66-DDA055CBE1F2.jpeg
    F554434D-0F16-4044-AE66-DDA055CBE1F2.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 428
I have a 2015 Stromer ST2, but have been looking at the Allant series. I took a quick test ride on the Allant today and was surprised how much more upright the riding position was versus the Stromer. Dumb question but is there a way to make the riding position a little more aggressive on the Allant's?

I have a 2015 Stromer ST2, but have been looking at the Allant series. I took a quick test ride on the Allant today and was surprised how much more upright the riding position was versus the Stromer. Dumb question but is there a way to make the riding position a little more aggressive on the Allant's?
Trek has two other stems available, same angle, one is 20 mm longer, the other is 20 mm shorter. Make sure you get the longer stem.

How did you find the ride otherwise?

Back