First (ever?) Commute on a Crosscurrent X.

Commuter

After commuting for 3 years on the ODK U500 v3, I built the CCX last night, with a few modifications, and set off today.

I felt like an absolute hooligan. On the streets in race mode, I was fairly easily doing 30mph. On the bike trail, I had to step it down to 1 or 2 just to keep the speed in check. It's a good way to assure self control because in Sport or Race, pedaling harder has drug-like rewards.

Either way, this thing is damn fun. I flew up hills much faster than the ODK, which is great up hills. Also, you get much more exercise with the pedal assist.

As far as downsides, as others mentioned, the seat isn't that comfortable, the hand grips block bar-end mirror mounts, and there's a wierd squeak when I go over bumps with only one hand on the bars(!?). All very minor, though.

The brake levers do come in too far, especially when you're wearing bulky gloves, but that was easily fixed by tightening the allen screws on the inside of the levers.

I had a squeak when riding one-handed on my CCS. Turned out to be a front fender thing. Very minor adjustment. You might look into that.

Seems I recall that the brake levers are adjustable for larger or smaller hands. Not sure where I read that though. Send tech support an email, they'll get back to you.

Seems like it’s a beast. I could probably take the lane and keep up with auto traffic around here with the CCX in race mode. That would really cut down on travel time if I could hop on the main roads and cruise through green lights instead of dealing with stop signs at almost every intersection on the side streets. My original Cross Current struggles to do 28mph in anything but ideal conditions. It will be getting the CCS power upgrade soon but the CCX is the next level up from that.

I replaced the stock grips with the bar end Weanas grip to mount a mirror and it's working out well. As others have mentioned, the squeak often comes from the front fender. The mud flap pulls off easily, reducing the mass and in my case eliminating the squeak.

It will be getting the CCS power upgrade soon but the CCX is the next level up from that.
Is there a reason you are only planning on upgrading to the CCS controller and not the CCX? I know you would also need a 52V battery to fully replicate CCX performance. But why not get the 25 Amp controller?

I replaced the stock grips with the bar end Weanas grip to mount a mirror and it's working out well. As others have mentioned, the squeak often comes from the front fender. The mud flap pulls off easily, reducing the mass and in my case eliminating the squeak.

I ended up modifying my current mirror, and, with a longer bolt, I was able to mount it. I'll check the mud flap to see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

Seems like it’s a beast. I could probably take the lane and keep up with auto traffic around here with the CCX in race mode. That would really cut down on travel time if I could hop on the main roads and cruise through green lights instead of dealing with stop signs at almost every intersection on the side streets. My original Cross Current struggles to do 28mph in anything but ideal conditions. It will be getting the CCS power upgrade soon but the CCX is the next level up from that.

I've ridden the original CC, as well as the CC with the S upgrade after the original controller failed:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

The original CC was definitely anemic up hills, slower than the the ODK. After upgrading to the S controller, hill climbing was improved significantly, probably on par with the ODK, and it definitely maintained a higher speed more easily. The CCX seems to have about 250 additional watts available over the CCS, whenever, and it's very apparent. The controller readout regularly reads a bit over 1,000 watts. Keep in mind, though, that this is still only about 1.3 horsepower. Wind and inclines have a huge affect on whether you can keep up with traffic. Also, regardless of what the controller max speed is set to, the power dies off right over 30mph. Maybe it's due to the winding? Just the limitation of 1,000 watts?

Also, regardless of what the controller max speed is set to, the power dies off right over 30mph. Maybe it's due to the winding? Just the limitation of 1,000 watts?
Thanks for that bit of info. I was wondering about that on the CCX vs. CCS. That issue is the primary reason I was considering an upgrade to the CCX controller, the zero mode was the other.
FWIW, in my experience on my CCS, the power dropoff above 30 mph is tied most closely to battery voltage. I have the 52V pack as well. at 100% charge (58.8 V) the bike will provide assistance up to ~37 mph and ~35 mph is sustainable on flat terrain with no wind. I routinely only charge my pack to 80% (55.4V), at this level power assistance stops at ~34.5 mph and ~32 mph is sustainable.
At 50% (~50V) power assist stops at ~31 mph and ~29 mph is sustainable. (One caveat is this was the performance during the summer; the cold weather definitely zaps both power and range.)
Seems that the motor winding is limited to these speeds at a given voltage.
I

Yeah, even down a hill, the CCX hits a wall by 31mph. I have max assist set to 40mph, so I'm not sure what's going on. Also, max charge with the stock charger is 57.9v. I ordered the Grin charger, so we'll see if I get an extra .9 volts out of that. Either way, 30 is plenty fast. I still haven't validated the speed it's reading out with a GPS, so maybe it's more or less.

EDIT: With 40 mph was tested first on my way home, so I think I just didn't have enough hills going down to test fully.

Last edited:
I take some of that back @Chris Hammond Today it assisted well past 31. I was at 34 going down a hill before car traffic slowed me down (I don't ride on the paths that quick). The only thing that changed is that yesterday I moved the Max Speed setting from max at something like 65, down to 40. That shouldn't make a difference, but maybe it changes the profile underneath or something.

Thanks for the info on the CCX, @Commuter. I hope you'll continue to share as you get more experience on the CCX. With all the similarity to the CCS (my daily driver), there are significant differences and I'd like to know how they play out. I'm seriously scheming ways and means to upgrade, if it's really going to be as worthwhile as I think it would be.

When I commute, I like convenience more than anything. There's an electric bike funding on Indiegogo that's the so-called lightest folding electric bike and what I like about it is that it can fit anywhere. It's frame is made of carbon so an extra bonus. I've been looking for one like this for a while and it looks interesting, albeit I don't know if they'll ever deliver on their promises
Their page: https://igg.me/at/ridecarbo/x/19667053

Is there a reason you are only planning on upgrading to the CCS controller and not the CCX? I know you would also need a 52V battery to fully replicate CCX performance. But why not get the 25 Amp controller?

They don’t sell the CCX controller yet. My guess is it will be six months or more before it’s available. Plus, the official word from Juiced is that it won’t work in the CC/CCS. I have a feeling they mean “not advisable” rather than it won’t work for a technical reason. Until they’re available for purchase we won’t know for sure if it will work. Also, if/when the CCX controller is available it’s not the much more money to spend for me personally now that I have the LCD display. I could keep the CCS controller as a spare.

@Commuter, I’ve ridden the CCS. It’s a nice boost over the CC. I especially like the throttle boost feature. I have a feeling the CCX is that much better but at $259 the CCS upgrade is hard to beat. Also remember that the Stromer ST2 is basically on par with the CCS power level. As far as 30mph limit it’s probably more to do with aerodynamics. Drag goes up at the square of speed.

Last edited:
I take the lane and keep up with traffic in town on my CCS, I only ride the shoulder on some 45mph stretches. Still eyeing up a 52 battery for spring though.

We all know that there's no way CCX will be the last commuter bike Juiced will ever build.
In about a year or so, there probably will be a CCX-R, Super CCX or CCX 2.0 whatever they call it.
Who knows, it might even reach up to 1000W, which is higher than Stromer ST5's 850W.

I'm getting over 1,000 watts regularly out of the CCX, and it sustains that seemingly without end. It's winter, so we'll see if heat build up causes it to pull back in the summer. Maybe @Tora Harris knows what temp from the controller triggers a back off? I've seen up to 42C.

Last edited:
I'm getting over 1,000 watts regularly out of the CCX, and it sustains that seemingly without end. It's winter, so we'll see if heat build up causes it to pull back in the summer. Maybe @Tora Harris knows what temp from the controller triggers a back off? I've seen up to 42C.
So I have heat tested the controller on my CCS pretty well. During the summer with ambient temps over 100, climbing a 2-5% sustained hill into a strong headwind. Highest controller temps I've seen was ~73 degrees C. IIRC unless you sustain temps closer to 100C, you will be fine.

I'm getting over 1,000 watts regularly

How much higher have you seen it go? Juiced advertises around 1250-1300 watts peak. I’m seeing around 1050-1100w peak on my CC with the CCS controller installed and that’s only @ 48V with an 80% charge. Since the battery voltage is reading high on the display I suspect that number is inflated by 150-200w in my case.

How much higher have you seen it go? Juiced advertises around 1250-1300 watts peak. I’m seeing around 1050-1100w peak on my CC with the CCS controller installed and that’s only @ 48V with an 80% charge. Since the battery voltage is reading high on the display I suspect that number is inflated by 150-200w in my case.

1050 is generally the max it gets to, though at max output I'm generally looking ahead and not at the display for very long ;)

Back