Commuter w/ Hub Motor, Torque Sensor, and Throttle

B3ak3r

Region
USA
Hello. This is my first post. I'm looking to buy my first ebike to mainly replace car trips for local errands. I'm 55 yo male, 6'3", and 185 lb. My neighborhood is moderately hilly to flat. I live near a network of bike trails and could use that for many of my day-to-day tasks (e.g., shopping trips, trips to running trails, etc.). I'd estimate 80% trail / 20% street. I'd also like to use the bike to do weekend trips on the C&O canal (I live in the Washington, DC area). Generally, I'm looking for the following:
  • under $2,000 budget;
  • commuter bike;
  • hub drive;
  • torque sensor;
  • throttle;
  • integrated lights;
  • rear rack and fenders;
  • suspension fork; and
  • enough power to climb to deal with local hills (especially with groceries or when I'm tired after a long run).
So far I've identified the Juiced CrossCurrent X ($2099), Ride1Up LMT'D XR ($1645), and the Rize brand "Rize" model ($1799). The CCX is closest to what I'm looking for and has the biggest battery/range. But I've also read online reports/reviews of the CCX where users had issues with loose/broken spokes. The LMT'D doesn't have fenders, racks, or integrated lights, but I could add everything aftermarket except integrated lights. The Rize has everything except the motor is only 500W / 65Nm (the LMT'D has 750W / 100Nm and the CCX has 750W / 85Nm).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially on long term experience with the bikes themselves and customer service.

Maybe add Aventon Level to the list? Conte's sell it in the DC area. It does not have torque PAS or integrated lights however

Last edited:
Hello. This is my first post. I'm looking to buy my first ebike to mainly replace car trips for local errands. I'm 55 yo male, 6'3", and 185 lb. My neighborhood is moderately hilly to flat. I live near a network of bike trails and could use that for many of my day-to-day tasks (e.g., shopping trips, trips to running trails, etc.). I'd estimate 80% trail / 20% street. I'd also like to use the bike to do weekend trips on the C&O canal (I live in the Washington, DC area). Generally, I'm looking for the following:
  • under $2,000 budget;
  • commuter bike;
  • hub drive;
  • torque sensor;
  • throttle;
  • integrated lights;
  • rear rack and fenders;
  • suspension fork; and
  • enough power to climb to deal with local hills (especially with groceries or when I'm tired after a long run).
So far I've identified the Juiced CrossCurrent X ($2099), Ride1Up LMT'D XR ($1645), and the Rize brand "Rize" model ($1799). The CCX is closest to what I'm looking for and has the biggest battery/range. But I've also read online reports/reviews of the CCX where users had issues with loose/broken spokes. The LMT'D doesn't have fenders, racks, or integrated lights, but I could add everything aftermarket except integrated lights. The Rize has everything except the motor is only 500W / 65Nm (the LMT'D has 750W / 100Nm and the CCX has 750W / 85Nm).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially on long term experience with the bikes themselves and customer service.
I have the Juiced CrossCurrent Air (older, less powerful version), and have maybe 12,000 miles on it. Really enjoyed it, and still have it as a backup bike to my primary Ride1UP Roadster v2.

Was quite reliable, but after 10,000 miles, wore out the controller. I do a lot of climbing and hill rides, so maybe overheating was an issue. I heard that they improved the controller in later versions.

For any rear hub motor (multiple brands and bikes) broken spokes can be an issue, and I've had that happen. Mainly at highest assist level, up major climbs, and me standing up on the pedals really cranking. Didn't seem to happen, if I wasn't really pushing the limits of myself and the bike.

Regarding customer service, it was decent, but hard to say these days with shortage of employees and staff (all companies, it seems?). It's good if you're fairly handy with minor bike maintenance, when you buy an online bike. If not, a LBS may be the way to go.

Last edited:
Maybe add Aventon Level to the list? Conte's sell it in the DC area. It does not have torque PAS or integrated lights however
Thanks, @Dewey. The Aventon Level was initially on my list given its high ratings including one I read for Bicycling Magazine that gave them a "Best Overall" ranking. But then I starting reading about torque sensing and how that gives a more-analog bike like feel when pedaling. But I didn't realize that Conte's carries them. I might try to see if I can do a test ride.

I have the Juiced CrossCurrent Air (older, less powerful version), and have maybe 12,000 miles on it. Really enjoyed it, and still have it as a backup bike to my primary Ride1UP Roadster v2.

Was quite reliable, but after 10,000 miles, wore out the controller. I do a lot of climbing and hill rides, so maybe overheating was an issue. I heard that they improved the controller in later versions.

For any rear hub motor (multiple brands and bikes) broken spokes can be an issue, and I've had that happen. Mainly at highest assist level, up major climbs, and me standing up on the pedals really cranking. Didn't seem to happen, if I wasn't really pushing the limits of myself and the bike.

Regarding customer service, it was decent, but hard to say these days with shortage of employees and staff (all companies, it seems?). It's good if you're fairly handy with minor bike maintenance, when you buy an online bike. If not, a LBS may be the way to go.
12,000 is an impressive total mileage, @PSm.

That's good to know about spokes being an issue for hub motor bikes. Just to clarify, I'm referring to a fair number reports on CCX reviews/ postings that multiple spokes were loose on delivery and/or very low mileage (like the first 50 miles or so). I just didn't see as many for the other two bikes. But some of the reports were older and also everything is very anecdotal.

I'm good with minor adjustments like adjusting brakes or derailleurs. And I can replace a spoke if the wheel isn't out of true. But I've tried to true wheels before and just made things worse, so that's where I'd draw the line.

Last edited:
12,000 is an impressive total mileage, @PSm.

That's good to know about spokes being an issue for hub motor bikes. Just to clarify, I'm referring to a fair number reports on CCX reviews/ postings that multiple spokes were loose on delivery and/or very low mileage (like the first 50 miles or so). I just didn't see as many for the other two bikes. But some of the reports were older and also everything is very anecdotal.

I'm good with minor adjustments like adjusting brakes or derailleurs. And I can replace a spoke if the wheel isn't out of true. But I've tried to true wheels before and just made things worse, so that's where I'd draw the line.
Tbh, having some loose spokes or slightly untrue wheels is not that unusual in my experience.

The trick is to just feel all the spokes for tension, and you might come across some that are unusually loose. Tighten those a little bit at a time, spin the wheel, and check again. Small changes are the key.

And then check again after each of the first few rides, and do again.

That said, you could always have a LBS do a precision wheel true for a little $, for the multiple hundo$ you're saving by getting a mail order bike.

If you ride on rough roads, and really push the limits, you'll get more spokes going out of true or needing replacement. Wheelbuilder.com is the source I used for custom spokes, for my multiple bikes.

Can you stretch your budget and wait a few months? The Zen Shakti checks many items on your list. I understand they are planning to have some of their models available to test ride in the DC area, if you can wait it might be worth asking @Ravi Kempaiah if his board member who lives in the area will also have the Shakti in due course.

Last edited:
Can you stretch your budget and wait a few months? The Zen Shakti checks many items on your list. I understand they are planning to have some of their models available to test ride in the DC area, if you can wait it might be worth asking @Ravi Kempaiah if his board member who lives in the area will also have the Shakti in due course.
This! Far exceeds the quality of the eBikes mentioned. Not another factory direct ebike. A bike engineered and supported by North American group of known battery and eBike brain child's. Or consider kitting with EBikes.ca. The two best choices. But I place Zen as first and best. I love to trail their option, but it’ll never happen we’re I live.

Agree on Zen!

also test ride that aventon before buying, I am under the impression their controllers are crappy and not programmable, think this is referenced in their thread a lot, where the pas is like an on/off switch, very unpleasant to ride
maybe that has changed but test ride to find out
and realize not all hub motors have these lousy controllers - ride1up at least on my step thru limited is programmable and actually set nicely stock from the factory

J
Can you stretch your budget and wait a few months? The Zen Shakti checks many items on your list. I understand they are planning to have some of their models available to test ride in the DC area, if you can wait it might be worth asking @Ravi Kempaiah if his board member who lives in the area will also have the Shakti in
Nice looking bike, if budget allows 😃🤔

Tbh, having some loose spokes or slightly untrue wheels is not that unusual in my experience.

The trick is to just feel all the spokes for tension, and you might come across some that are unusually loose. Tighten those a little bit at a time, spin the wheel, and check again. Small changes are the key.

And then check again after each of the first few rides, and do again.

That said, you could always have a LBS do a precision wheel true for a little $, for the multiple hundo$ you're saving by getting a mail order bike.

If you ride on rough roads, and really push the limits, you'll get more spokes going out of true or needing replacement. Wheelbuilder.com is the source I used for custom spokes, for my multiple bikes.
Thanks, @PSm That's informative. Good to know re loose spokes, generally for hub motors.

Thanks, @Dewey., I'll check it out. I'm trying to stay within my budget but that's somewhat self-imposed and arbitrary. The problem about inching up the budget is it opens up more options.

This! Far exceeds the quality of the eBikes mentioned. Not another factory direct ebike. A bike engineered and supported by North American group of known battery and eBike brain child's. Or consider kitting with EBikes.ca. The two best choices. But I place Zen as first and best. I love to trail their option, but it’ll never happen we’re I live.
Thanks, @tomjasz

Pay now or pay later...
In general that might be more true than not, but there's plenty of affordable ebike owners that have had good experiences, so spending more isn't always the magic solution.

One of my ebikes (and now my favorite, almost only one I use now) is the $1100 Ride1UP Roadster, and it arrived almost perfect and has required little to no maintenence in the past almost 5000 miles (except for me abusing it!).

And some expensive bikes have also have issues that needed fixing, just like other priced bikes.

BUT that said, doing your research and having a larger amount of $ gives you many more options 😀

Being your first ebike I wouldn't spend to much especially as its car replacement. You may find bike commuting isn't you.

but there's plenty of affordable ebike owners that have had good experiences,
But for how long? Weekend users? What kind of mileage?
BUT that said, doing your research and having a larger amount of $ gives you many more options
spot on!!! Best advice
1660773747157.png

Back