First accident

Hey Everyone,
Well, haven't had my Como long and experienced my first bad accident. Bike is okay. A guy on the path with dog on a leash was coming towards me. Dog was wild. Moved over to give some extra room. Got onto the grass a little and when coming back to the sidewalk my tire got caught between grass and sidewalk. I needed to come at it more perpendicularly. Had to take an ambulance ride for a head injury. Had a helmet on but ended up wacking head in some way above the eye. My vision is still impaired. Concussion. Bloody arm with road rash, huge bruise from him through the thigh. I'm okay. No more sense than before the accident I'm sure. The bike has some scrapes, but I took the brunt of the impact.

Do any of you ride wearing anti-abrasive clothing? I might like to do that until next year when it's hot again. This road rash is not fun.
I always wear gloves. If you dump a bike, you may save yourself with your hands, but you can´t save your
hands if they are not protected. This occurred to me once after turning both palms into giant blisters.

I always wear gloves. If you dump a bike, you may save yourself with your hands, but you can´t save your
hands if they are not protected. This occurred to me once after turning both palms into giant blisters.
Gloves are a good idea. I fell over a few days ago using cleats, which I forgot I had on. Still wacked myself.

This is an old thread, but a lot of good thoughts. I have almost gone down about a half dozen times, but always managed to land in a half-crouch and grab the bike before it hit the pavement. One of the worst was jumping a curb that I usually can take at about 80 degrees at about 50 degrees. I've gotten scratched in some odf these episodes when a pedal scraped my ankle, or my calf hit a rock wall.

I am on blood thinners -- Warfarin, not any of the new ones, which I think are junk because they can't check the blood levels and many cannot be reversed. Definitely don't feel any athlete on blood thinners who chooses to do sports should use the new blood thinners, though that's not a professional opinion, just my own preference.

As for armor, padded gloves, helmet of course, visor when it's sunny, and full body armor on the upper torso-- armored jacket for winter, and motocross armor for the summer. I don't care if I look like a freak. (Well, actually I enjoy it!)

Are there any knee pads that are usable for long climbs? A lot of MTBers use knee pads only for descending, I'd like something very lightweight that I could wear comfortably from start to end of the ride. Thanks!

Sorry for your fall, it was bad, but could have been worse. Count your lucky stars. Sounds like you ride responsibly and safe, unfortunately some things are out of our control.

I bought a Vado SL today and rode home (33 km from the LBS to my place). At some point, I took a shortcut at a place I've never been to. It was a short dirt trail, and then there was some "unkempt" crossing over insignificant and rarely used railroad. I was riding too fast and misjudged the situation.

A face-down fall between the rails! As the bike is indeed lightweight, it did me no harm, and the fall was quite controlled. The helmet's peak saved my face, and although my leg hurt, I could get up and continue riding. Already on a bike path in the county town, I noticed my vision worsened. What gets? I touched my face. No glasses.

Cursing, I returned to the incident site. Now, how to find my delicate Ray-Ban 1972Vs in the grass? I asked a passer-by for help. He/she (not sure of gender) could not find anything. So I simulated my fall. Believe it or not, when I almost touched the ground with my face, my glasses were exactly there!

Wonderful ride otherwise.

I bought a Vado SL today and rode home (33 km from the LBS to my place). At some point, I took a shortcut at a place I've never been to. It was a short dirt trail, and then there was some "unkempt" crossing over insignificant and rarely used railroad. I was riding too fast and misjudged the situation.

A face-down fall between the rails! As the bike is indeed lightweight, it did me no harm, and the fall was quite controlled. The helmet's peak saved my face, and although my leg hurt, I could get up and continue riding. Already on a bike path in the county town, I noticed my vision worsened. What gets? I touched my face. No glasses.

Cursing, I returned to the incident site. Now, how to find my delicate Ray-Ban 1972Vs in the grass? I asked a passer-by for help. He/she (not sure of gender) could not find anything. So I simulated my fall. Believe it or not, when I almost touched the ground with my face, my glasses were exactly there!

Wonderful ride otherwise.
Congrats on your new N+1 AND not getting seriously hurt!

Luckily I haven't had anything close to crashing. I did have a close call with a large metal post at a trail crossing that rubbed off a little paint from the frame. My legs look like I've wandered into a blackberry patch because I wear shorts
and I have studs on the pedals to get a better grip and my feet slip off of them just about every ride.

What surprised me is I didn’t even ask for a replacement even though I know they have a program for it. I already bought a new Giro shortly after my accident because I wanted to go riding. They didn’t even ask for a serial number or proof of purchase... just said pick a helmet and give them my address.

I’m not going to be greedy and I’ll just get a similarly priced helmet for one of my kids. :)
Sorry to necro this thread but I just realized I forgot to reply with what helmet to send me until a few weeks ago.

Reached back out just to see and they said no problem and sent one to me that I just got today... over 2 years after my crash... that's some good customer service.

We need a suggestions for gloves Thread.
I hit the ground on hands, forearms, chin, knees at 25 mph Tuesday before Thanksgiving, 2017. No skin burn. Chin was ripped & broken because search engines couldn't find any bike helmet with chin guard that summer. Motorcycle helmets are too hot. Fox Rampage helmet solves that problem.
Happy with performance of $1 cotton poly garden gloves from dollar store, also long leg Dickies pants and long sleeve Red Hat mechanic's tunic. Clothes also cotton+polyester.
Stretch frame cargo bike solved the falling off problem, so far. 10000 miles 5 years later. 2008-2018 I went over the handlebars on my chin hands forearms 5 times. Diamondback MTB twice, Pacific Quantum MTB twice, Huffy Savannah once. The Huffy a stick got caught in the front brake, not the frame's fault. Don't need ***-**** "fast" steering of modern frames. Un*******stable.

Last edited:
Back