Fazua Ebike Motor Review & Tests, Black Pepper Software Update

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! I wanted to create an updated review of the Fazua Evation mid-drive system since I got to spend some time with the new Trek E-Caliber recently. Fazua launched a software update for their ebike mid-drive system recently called Black Pepper which improves motor power output and maximum cadence support. I got to check it out on a Trek E-Caliber electric mountain bike and put this shorter focused video together to highlight some of the upgrades and show its performance.

fazua-evation-bottom-bracket-transmission-downtube.jpgfazua-evation-empty-downtube-bay-for-drivepack-insertion.jpgfazua-evation-non-drivetrain-side-of-bottom-bracket-cadence-sensor.jpgfazua-evation-drivepack-and-hollow-downtube-protector-storage-container.jpgfazua-evation-drivepack-rosenberger-charging-port-250x-battery.jpgfazua-evation-speed-sensor-and-magnet-mount.jpgfazua-evation-rear-wheel-speed-sensor.jpg

Motor: Fazua Evation
Software: Black Pepper
Power output: 300 to 450 watts
Torque output: 55 newton meters
Battery capacity: 252 watt hours (36 volt 7 amp hours)
Optional: Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) for GPS and heart rate monitors
Optional: iOS and Android smartphone app (Fazua Rider)
Weight: 2.88lb bottom bracket transmission, 4.2lb empty drivepack motor, 3.2lb battery pack, 7.4lb combined drivepack (with battery inserted), 1.2lb optional empty downtube container

I'm not sure if the older versions of the drive system can be updated to the Black Pepper software, but I hope to get some answers from the Fazua team soon. If you have any questions, please let me know here! I'm also attaching some press materials they shared with me :)

Attachments

• 210118_FAZUA_PR_Black_Pepper_Software_EN_Press_release.pdf
    90.7 KB · Views: 738
  • BlackPepper_Motor_Performance_EN_website_reduced.pdf
    710.3 KB · Views: 548
  • Connectivity_Update_EN_online.pdf
    568.8 KB · Views: 632
Court,
Very curious if you’ve heard specifics about Bosch working on lighter battery/motor systems to match the Fauza Evation? That motor sounds just like my PLCX..certainly as loud.

Last edited:
How many feet of climbing could it do for an adult that weights @215-265lb ? Can it do 2-3000feet with occasional 20% inclines ?

I feel that this ebike is targeted towards seniors or recovery rides but also the lack of a charge port +kickstand on the frame are major drawbacks.
A 252 wh pack it’s a ridiculously small capacity, no mater how light the ebike is . Maybe under 22lb it is worth it. There is also the battery cost $$$$$.

With 20% deterioration it will be a 200wh pack actually 160WH usable. Don’t use the last 20% b/c we’ve learned many lessons here on Ebr why....

So. 200WH USABLE Capacity for a NEW battery, 160WH after 4-500cycles maybe less. I know better not to fall for this gimmick😂

Q- How much is a brand new battery ? I bet it’s at least 400$. For 20cells in the pack...1 cell is roughly 3$. This is some serious bs.

Trek should have requested better engineering from Fazua. Specialized
can design their own motors like the 1.1 / 2.1 , why Trek doesn’t make their own motors and relies on others ? It will make them an even stronger brand.

Wow 500$ for a 252wh pack. 16-18cells , 2-3$/cell @retail . Professional bs pos GmbH indeed...

The review is flawless , Prrrrfection 🥇👍 @Court , you should start your own
Ebike brand !! KO RT1 Lmtd 😉🚀

The value of reviews is priceless and you know all these companies they just you know tthat’s how they make the sales ..this website , all the professional reviewers like yourself.

They didn’t miss the major drawback either !

Attachments

• 92BD2653-92C8-45B3-8B82-0F66FB69E2B9.png
    92BD2653-92C8-45B3-8B82-0F66FB69E2B9.png
    391.3 KB · Views: 631
  • 08D1663E-0297-427D-B494-28790C7B3F91.png
    08D1663E-0297-427D-B494-28790C7B3F91.png
    803.4 KB · Views: 663
  • 832997F8-13BE-49F5-9FD0-38B740A8F69F.png
    832997F8-13BE-49F5-9FD0-38B740A8F69F.png
    471.7 KB · Views: 609
  • 23796277-00B3-45D7-9722-DD4A4407EF1E.jpeg
    23796277-00B3-45D7-9722-DD4A4407EF1E.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 659
How many feet of climbing could it do for an adult that weights @215-265lb ? Can it do 2-3000feet with occasional 20% inclines ?

I feel that this ebike is targeted towards seniors or recovery rides but also the lack of a charge port +kickstand on the frame are major drawbacks.
A 252 wh pack it’s a ridiculously small capacity, no mater how light the ebike is . Maybe under 22lb it is worth it. There is also the battery cost $$$$$.

With 20% deterioration it will be a 200wh pack actually 160WH usable. Don’t use the last 20% b/c we’ve learned many lessons here on Ebr why....

So. 200WH USABLE Capacity for a NEW battery, 160WH after 4-500cycles maybe less. I know better not to fall for this gimmick😂

Q- How much is a brand new battery ? I bet it’s at least 400$. For 20cells in the pack...1 cell is roughly 3$. This is some serious bs.

Trek should have requested better engineering from Fazua. Specialized
can design their own motors like the 1.1 / 2.1 , why Trek doesn’t make their own motors and relies on others ? It will make them an even stronger brand.
The Specialized 1.1 motor, while a good performer, puts out only 35 Nm. Oh, and is it really a Specialized motor? Are you sure it isn't a modified Brose motor like their full powered motor is? Btw, the Fazua battery is $490. As far as climbing is concerned, may I remind you, again, this is an XC bike, not a trail bike.

The Specialized 1.1 motor, while a good performer, puts out only 35 Nm. Oh, and is it really a Specialized motor? Are you sure it isn't a modified Brose motor like their full powered motor is? Btw, the Fazua battery is $490. As far as climbing is concerned, may I remind you, again, this is an XC bike, not a trail bike.
I believe the 35Nm motor you are referring to was developed in partnership with Mahle.

Are you sure it isn't a modified Brose motor like their full powered motor is? Btw, the Fazua battery is $490.

Yes, it's a lot. Who will carry an xtra and why ? If they had already decided on an ebike with a small battery that's the wrong decision in the first place , if they plan on carrying a backpack for the xtra battery.
So it's not a reasonably decent price for only a 180-190wh of usable capacity .

What do you think of the Ecaliber ?

Yes, it's a lot. Who will carry an xtra and why ? If they had already decided on an ebike with a small battery that's the wrong decision in the first place , if they plan on carrying a backpack for the xtra battery.
So it's not a reasonably decent price for only a 180-190wh of usable capacity .

What do you think of the Ecaliber ?
I am really enjoying my ecaliber 9.6. It is light enough to be tossable and gives me plenty of range. I will take the spare battery on a long ride or trip. I am planning to do the GAP in June and will take it then. The suspension is enough to get the job done; even at only 60mm. I still own the bike but my days of riding singletrack that requires 150mm are behind me. One fake knee and a lot of injuries.

The suspension is enough to get the job done; even at only 60mm. I still own the bike but my days of riding singletrack that requires 150mm are behind me. One fake knee and a lot of injuries.

oh ok, i totally understand , I have about 20 years of cycling (10road racing) and had of course quite a few crashes ...was thinking about the caliber when i was writing As if someone who would only want to get 1 mountain bike that, that is not really the one, but there are many different people in our world and of course many have different needs.
Enjoy the ride 🚵🏻‍♂️🏔🌄

Hi guys! I wanted to create an updated review of the Fazua Evation mid-drive system since I got to spend some time with the new Trek E-Caliber recently. Fazua launched a software update for their ebike mid-drive system recently called Black Pepper which improves motor power output and maximum cadence support. I got to check it out on a Trek E-Caliber electric mountain bike and put this shorter focused video together to highlight some of the upgrades and show its performance.

View attachment 80078View attachment 80081View attachment 80082View attachment 80079View attachment 80080View attachment 80084View attachment 80083

Motor: Fazua Evation
Software: Black Pepper
Power output: 300 to 450 watts
Torque output: 55 newton meters
Battery capacity: 252 watt hours (36 volt 7 amp hours)
Optional: Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) for GPS and heart rate monitors
Optional: iOS and Android smartphone app (Fazua Rider)
Weight: 2.88lb bottom bracket transmission, 4.2lb empty drivepack motor, 3.2lb battery pack, 7.4lb combined drivepack (with battery inserted), 1.2lb optional empty downtube container

I'm not sure if the older versions of the drive system can be updated to the Black Pepper software, but I hope to get some answers from the Fazua team soon. If you have any questions, please let me know here! I'm also attaching some press materials they shared with me :)
Is Fazua German-made like Bosch? I feel like Fazua came out of nowhere! (The triangle drive connector seems unusually shallow given it appears to be the 'driveshaft' of the system

I am really enjoying my ecaliber 9.6. It is light enough to be tossable and gives me plenty of range. I will take the spare battery on a long ride or trip. I am planning to do the GAP in June and will take it then. The suspension is enough to get the job done; even at only 60mm. I still own the bike but my days of riding singletrack that requires 150mm are behind me. One fake knee and a lot of injuries.

How is the noise of the motor?

I feel like if it is quiet enough you may sneak it in any trail. If you take the motor off it is a complete normal bike anyways.

Is Fazua German-made like Bosch? I feel like Fazua came out of nowhere! (The triangle drive connector seems unusually shallow given it appears to be the 'driveshaft' of the system
It is. Fazua has been out in Europe much longer as the process to be approved for sale in the US was a lengthy one. Just as well as the motor had received significant refinement over the years.

As far as the ability to carry a spare battery is concerned - heavily pushed by Fazua - It is currently impossible to buy a battery anywhere and Fazua seem unwilling to talk about this

All the parts of course are made in China and they assemble/tweak them and do the software in Germany.

Back