FatSix

Pappahog

Hi guys, I'm the original fatty on a fat bike and have a question.
i got my FatSix in March second hand and had it serviced with no issues, 500 miles later its flashed up saying service due, is this normal as it seems a very short interval?
secondly does anyone know of an alternative to the Xduro Drive sprocket? with only 1000 miles on the bike its going to be bloody expensive if i have to pay £90 plus fitting each time it dies (bit of a grinding noise from engine under load that the LBS think is the front sprocket)
any help/answers appreciated

Bosch, right?

If so, the service message is just a setting your dealer configured to remind you to bring the bike in for a regular check-up. It doesn't indicate anything is actually wrong and is triggered purely by whatever mileage interval the dealer set.

They can reset/disable it when they have the bike hooked up to the Bosch diagnostic sw.

Just read up on this while researching my own error code...

Bosch, right?

If so, the service message is just a setting your dealer configured to remind you to bring the bike in for a regular check-up. It doesn't indicate anything is actually wrong and is triggered purely by whatever mileage interval the dealer set.

They can reset/disable it when they have the bike hooked up to the Bosch diagnostic sw.

Just read up on this while researching my own error code...
Thanks, I have had it reset and the bike still sounded awful. No error codes so bike shop say its the drive sprocket, that said I have moved the chain on 1 link as another thread suggested (cog has alternating narrow and wide teeth) and it's a lot quieter. Good luck with your code....

Hi guys, I'm the original fatty on a fat bike and have a question.
i got my FatSix in March second hand and had it serviced with no issues, 500 miles later its flashed up saying service due, is this normal as it seems a very short interval?
secondly does anyone know of an alternative to the Xduro Drive sprocket? with only 1000 miles on the bike its going to be bloody expensive if i have to pay £90 plus fitting each time it dies (bit of a grinding noise from engine under load that the LBS think is the front sprocket)
any help/answers appreciated

A very happy Full FatSix owner here; which of course, is a completely different motor drive (Yamaha) then yours......

No, no cheap alternative to that small Bosch front sprocket; pretty much a proprietary part. Always best to stick with OEM parts, imo.

Now, with only 1000 miles on the odometer, that sure seems to be a small number of miles for a worn front sprocket. Sure it's not an internal bearing issue? Are the sprocket teeth visibily worn? Either way, a thousand miles with issues cropping up makes one think how the previous owner treated this FatSix.

My advice would be to change out the front sprocket as well as spending the few extra dollars and change out the chain with a like replacement. From that point on, you will be working with known good parts. Riding with a new sprocket and old chain will likely accelerate wear of the sprocket gear teeth....

For longevity of the drivetrain, lube frequently with a good dry lub and clean up after every ride, especially if you've been in sand or mud.

Post some pics of that FatSix. I think I've seen and read about more Full FatSix's then the hard tailed FatSix, on these pages!

Good luck and let us know what you and your shop find. And welcome to the Haibike family!

A very happy Full FatSix owner here; which of course, is a completely different motor drive (Yamaha) then yours......

No, no cheap alternative to that small Bosch front sprocket; pretty much a proprietary part. Always best to stick with OEM parts, imo.

Now, with only 1000 miles on the odometer, that sure seems to be a small number of miles for a worn front sprocket. Sure it's not an internal bearing issue? Are the sprocket teeth visibily worn? Either way, a thousand miles with issues cropping up makes one think how the previous owner treated this FatSix.

My advice would be to change out the front sprocket as well as spending the few extra dollars and change out the chain with a like replacement. From that point on, you will be working with known good parts. Riding with a new sprocket and old chain will likely accelerate wear of the sprocket gear teeth....

For longevity of the drivetrain, lube frequently with a good dry lub and clean up after every ride, especially if you've been in sand or mud.

Post some pics of that FatSix. I think I've seen and read about more Full FatSix's then the hard tailed FatSix, on these pages!

Good luck and let us know what you and your shop find. And welcome to the Haibike family!

Thanks Mike, I have had a new chain fitted and am await the local shops call back on the sprocket. Probably should point out I'm a big load so I would assume I am over stressing the motor/gears/cogs anyway (23stone). I did ask them about stripping the motor to check but they weren't that keen saying its smooth when being pedalled in the stand and not under load, hence they think its the drive sprocket. Another £100 down on this, plus 2 services in the last 4 months makes it an expensive bike to ride, but so far it's worth it 😁
Will update when they get the front sprocket...

IMAG1787.jpg
IMAG1787.jpg

Pappa, that's the FatSix that got me thinking I should leave my analog Specialized Fatboy and "go electric" as Court here reviewed that bike as well as the similar Felt Outfitter around the same time, about 4 years ago, now. I always liked that olive green with orange highlights paint scheme on your FatSix; then again, I'm kinda partial to the matte metallic machine gray of my Full FatSix. Haibike always had the best taste and style in painting up their frames; the best in the business, imo.

Regardless of weight, the key to conserving your drive train components for the long term is by avoiding mashing those pedals in a high rear sprocket gear. That is where the drive will encounter the most wear on the sprocket teeth and chain link, stretching out the chain prematurely as well as grinding those front and rear sprocket gear teeth down. I always make a point to spin the pedals in the lowest gears possible to avoid stressing out the chain and teeth; constantly shifting up and down as the terrain presents itself. I'm pretty religious in squirting some Dupont Chain Saver dry lub on my chain about every other ride.

Pappa, that's the FatSix that got me thinking I should leave my analog Specialized Fatboy and "go electric" as Court here reviewed that bike as well as the similar Felt Outfitter around the same time, about 4 years ago, now. I always liked that olive green with orange highlights paint scheme on your FatSix; then again, I'm kinda partial to the matte metallic machine gray of my Full FatSix. Haibike always had the best taste and style in painting up their frames; the best in the business, imo.

Regardless of weight, the key to conserving your drive train components for the long term is by avoiding mashing those pedals in a high rear sprocket gear. That is where the drive will encounter the most wear on the sprocket teeth and chain link, stretching out the chain prematurely as well as grinding those front and rear sprocket gear teeth down. I always make a point to spin the pedals in the lowest gears possible to avoid stressing out the chain and teeth; constantly shifting up and down as the terrain presents itself. I'm pretty religious in squirting some Dupont Chain Saver dry lub on my chain about every other ride.
I will deffo try a different t lube, currenty using muc off 4all weather lube and it seems to attract everything. By the way changed to the dodgy looking road tyres as 90% of my riding is road based.. Still got my knobblies for winter fun 😁

I will deffo try a different t lube, currenty using muc off 4all weather lube and it seems to attract everything. By the way changed to the dodgy looking road tyres as 90% of my riding is road based.. Still got my knobblies for winter fun 😁

Lotsa fat bike owners have gone to road tires like that as they ride exclusively on pavement. Most of my miles accumulated on the FatSix has been on asphalt roads close to home and every mile ridden on the bike has been done using the 4.0 inch Schwalbe Jumbo Jims. The noise is almost an attention getter to those not paying mind. Either tire, the main thing is to get out there and have fun!

Lotsa fat bike owners have gone to road tires like that as they ride exclusively on pavement. Most of my miles accumulated on the FatSix has been on asphalt roads close to home and every mile ridden on the bike has been done using the 4.0 inch Schwalbe Jumbo Jims. The noise is almost an attention getter to those not paying mind. Either tire, the main thing is to get out there and have fun!
As you correctly said this is the only sprocket that will fit so i guess thats another £100.... the shop seem to think 1000 miles is the norm for a drive sprocket, i hope not. that would be 2 services and a sprocket at least every year. Expensive way of riding, do like the look of the HardSeven with the 3.5 inch tyres though......

Hey Pappahog. I've had the same model FatSix (2015) which I bought new in Jan 2017. I just this week replaced the chainring for the 2nd time after roughly 8000-miles. I can say I've been pretty rough with my bike too, with a considerable amount of off-roading as well as having the works subjected to salt-water and sand with beach-riding. My advice to you is to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that that chainring's retaining-nut is properly torqued-down and stays that way. When it gets loose, you probably won't realize it until it chews through the Bosch's main-shaft with which it mates.

(image below) The left one is my 3-year-old original where a loose chainring ALMOST had chewed through (motor-overhaul), and the right is a year-old replacement which was completely ruined by the loose chainring. As for the Bosch replacement-parts, I highly recommend Performance Line Bearings who are in your neck of the woods. Peter and Lenka Collard there are great folks and will set you right.

2021-03-28_3-41-39.png

Back