Extending Battery Life

While this might be true regarding a direct drive hub, the 5:1 gearing of a geared hub make them pretty efficient at low speeds..... (say under 20 mph). Not unusual for a geared hub to have 2-3 times higher NM available when starting from a stop.

"If you are talking about a hub motor you probably want the opposite. Hub motors are inefficient at low speeds. Thus, I would bump the PAS level up and try to take the hill at a similar speed to the rest of the ride. "

While this might be true regarding a direct drive hub, the 5:1 gearing of a geared hub make them pretty efficient at low speeds..... (say under 20 mph). "

If the motor's peak speed is set for 20mph then the motor becomes less efficient below ~10mph.

I am indeed talking about a mid-drive - food for thought, thanks! And I use the lowest assistance level in the non-hill portion pretty much always. (Bosch Active Line + and an Enviolo CVT.)

I bought a dongle for my Haibike to unlock the 20mph speed limit but rarely exceed 20mph.. It's just not worth the extra power consumption to go fast IMO

I bought a dongle for my Haibike to unlock the 20mph speed limit but rarely exceed 20mph.. It's just not worth the extra power consumption to go fast IMO

However, it is more fun and feels more natural to go faster on a slight downhill as compared to power cut off above 20 mph and the non electric rider just flies by you.

Well, I went on my bike ride today and for unimportant reasons my ride was cut short at 43 miles. However, of the 5 bars, I had two left (I was five miles into the 4th bar). Therefore, I think I can easily get 50 miles plus if I stay conservative with the peddle assist. I stayed in PA 1 and 2 for most of the ride. I hit 3 to help get up a hill once and also hit the accelerator once to out run a dog.

But now I have another question. I know I can do the 40 and 50 mile rides.....but my butt can't! I have a Serfas Rex saddle, but have a sore tush tonight. I visited with a guy today that has a Selle Italia saddle. I told him that I can't see anyone sitting on that skinny thing and he said he can sit on that thing all day long. What are your experiences with saddles?

Going slow is huge.
Yes.

WH/mile is higher when you go faster - due to both inherent motor/battery reasons and increasing wind resistance - double speed results in 4 times increase in wind resistance. Headwind negatively affects the WH/mile too. Also, as mentioned, fresh battery has better/lower WH/mile ratio.

The bottom line is - one bar gone after 21 miles is NOT a basis for the range estimate. Neither is staying in PAS1-2 for those 21 miles. Ebike bar displays are inaccurate, they are not WH-meters.

Well, I went on my bike ride today and for unimportant reasons my ride was cut short at 43 miles. However, of the 5 bars, I had two left (I was five miles into the 4th bar). Therefore, I think I can easily get 50 miles plus if I stay conservative with the peddle assist. I stayed in PA 1 and 2 for most of the ride. I hit 3 to help get up a hill once and also hit the accelerator once to out run a dog.

But now I have another question. I know I can do the 40 and 50 mile rides.....but my butt can't! I have a Serfas Rex saddle, but have a sore tush tonight. I visited with a guy today that has a Selle Italia saddle. I told him that I can't see anyone sitting on that skinny thing and he said he can sit on that thing all day long. What are your experiences with saddles?

This is well-covered on Youtube (TL;DR is that there is a lot of other stuff you need to check before you change saddles):

Back