Explore E+ 3 Questions

BernieS

Does anyone know if the 2018 Explore E+3 can be fit with full fenders front and rear and with frame-mounted rear rack. In Europe it looks like the Explorer has been sold fully outfitted with fenders, rack, and lights. I like that it has the suspension fork. The Explorer seems to be a hybrid commuter/emtb for light offroad use and street use.

Explore-E-plus-0-GTS-Color-A.jpg
Yeah, this looks really nice. I wonder why they assume Americans don't want nice things like racks and fenders. Maybe because this one is being marketed as the budget version. Still, it would be nice to have the option.

This nice looking rack is probably not available, but you could get (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) from Giant, or a different one that goes through the axle. As for the fenders, maybe you could ask your LBS if they could get Quick-E+ racks mailed in and install them on your Explore-E?

Explore E +3 for USA Market

Explore-E+-3-GTS-_Color-A.jpg
Haibike SDURO 4.0

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
I have the Explore E +3 - bought it in Toronto a couple of weeks ago - really like the bike. This is the bottom level bike in the range - 2 more above it in Europe but my LBS tells me only this model is coming to North America for 2017-2018 model year.

I have installed a Giant rear rack and plan to install fenders - the mounting points are all there. So far I haven't been able to source parts like the rack, light and fenders from Giant. I'd bet the Quick E parts will also fit but no luck there yet either. I think they won't sell the parts in NA but I may be able order from Europe - haven't tried yet.

Great bike, great range and allot of fun on the bike trails.

Last edited:
I originally posted this in the general maintenance forum but was wondering what Explore 3 owners have experienced with battery drain? Mine drains about 2-3% on it's own each day. The shop ran some diagnostics and determined the bike checked out. One user theory was cheap capacitors, which seems plausible. But just wondering if anybody else has seen this on theirs?

I have noticed the same thing with my bike - there is always a bit of a drain over a period of time. But I have seen the same behaviour on other lithium battery powered devices like iPads, laptops, fitness watches etc.

I have the Explore E +3 - bought it in Toronto a couple of weeks ago - really like the bike. This is the bottom level bike in the range - 2 more above it in Europe but my LBS tells me only this model is coming to North America for 2017-2018 model year.

I have installed a Giant rear rack and plan to install fenders - the mounting points are all there. So far I haven't been able to source parts like the rack, light and fenders from Giant. I'd bet the Quick E parts will also fit but no luck there yet either. I think they won't sell the parts in NA but I may be able order from Europe - haven't tried yet.

Great bike, great range and allot of fun on the bike trails.
I was looking at the Explore E+ 3 as a commuter but am wondering how it does on hills. At the last mile of my 8-mile commute home I have an average grade of 5%. Here's link to my Garmin graph showing the details. Is this something the Explore E+ 3 can handle on a daily basis? With my 220# carcass on a Trek non-bike, I'm nearly dead once at the top so I cheat and have the wife pick me up at the bottom. My ride is 100% asphalt and the majority of it is flat with a few minor blips.

You won’t have a problem with that commute and hill on this bike. I love to ride the paths along the river in my town - it’s 2 - 3 miles down hill to the river paths so it’s 2 - 3 miles back up that hill to get home and some parts are steeper than 5%. After a 16 mile ride on the paths I put it in sport (turbo) mode and can ride my 200 lb butt back up the hill at about 15 mph without breaking a sweat. One of the reasons I bought this ebike was that hill - I always drove to the paths before with my regular bike because I was too tired to ride home up the long hill. Now I ride from the house with no problem at all.

... for 100% asphalt , majority of it flat , the 5% grade for 1 mile , and a few minor blips , I would consider a geared rear hub .
For this type riding , I feel it blows the mid-drives away .

I was looking at the Explore E+ 3 as a commuter but am wondering how it does on hills. At the last mile of my 8-mile commute home I have an average grade of 5%. Here's link to my Garmin graph showing the details. Is this something the Explore E+ 3 can handle on a daily basis? With my 220# carcass on a Trek non-bike, I'm nearly dead once at the top so I cheat and have the wife pick me up at the bottom. My ride is 100% asphalt and the majority of it is flat with a few minor blips.
I’m about 200# and not super fit by any means. I did the June lake loop in the Sierra Nevada mountains without ever feeling like I was straining. (I think it was 24 miles?). In sport mode and a low gear you pretty much can go up any hill and still feel like you’re still moving at a decent speed. If you don’t mind putting in some effort you can pretty much fly up most hills faster than guys on road bikes.

... for 100% asphalt , majority of it flat , the 5% grade for 1 mile , and a few minor blips , I would consider a geared rear hub .
For this type riding , I feel it blows the mid-drives away .
500W enough or 750W?

You won’t have a problem with that commute and hill on this bike. I love to ride the paths along the river in my town - it’s 2 - 3 miles down hill to the river paths so it’s 2 - 3 miles back up that hill to get home and some parts are steeper than 5%. After a 16 mile ride on the paths I put it in sport (turbo) mode and can ride my 200 lb butt back up the hill at about 15 mph without breaking a sweat. One of the reasons I bought this ebike was that hill - I always drove to the paths before with my regular bike because I was too tired to ride home up the long hill. Now I ride from the house with no problem at all.
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm looking at this bike because a long standing reputable LBS in my city is a Giant dealer and is carrying just a couple of their models. Unfortunately, no hills in the near vicinity of the shop but if he'll let me take it a few miles and I'll have plenty to choose from.

Last edited:
Step Thru Liv Amiti

Doesn’t the Liv have shorter cranks, narrower bars, and a shorter frame geometry than its brother the Giant Explore+? That would work for some, try both?

Doesn’t the Liv have shorter cranks, narrower bars, and a shorter frame geometry than its brother the Giant Explore+? That would work for some, try both?

It may , being a womens specific build .

From Giant website : "Designed using Liv’s 3F Design Philosophy to build bikes for women"

USA Version : Americans enjoy carrying stuff on their backs and also enjoy getting wet . :)
LOL. I hate wearing a backpack because I'm sweaty enough when I get to work, which is why I have the nerdy rear basket. Drop in the backpack and go. Thanks for the wattage and Liv tip.

@Kevin Smith @Jk512 My LBS has both the Explore E+ 3 and the Quick E+ available. Is the motor the same the same on both bikes? Big price difference between the two, but my guess is it's because the Quick E+ is listed as a speed pedelec with 20 gears and a larger Ah battery. I'm okay with the Explore's max speed of 20mph. I want an ebike to make my commute to work less of a gym workout and not a race. In fact, I'm hoping to take a shorter route with my ebike that I've avoided these years because I hate the hills, which will cut down my commute time. My biggest concern is climbing that last hill home, and it sounds from your responses that this bike is up to the challenge.

@Kevin Smith @Jk512 One more question, what kind of range are you getting on a single charge and at what PAS levels? My commute is 16.5 miles round-trip with a decent ascent on the last mile going home as I mentioned before. At 214#, trying to determine if I'll need to recharge the battery at work or if I'll have enough juice for the trip home. Going to look at this bike one more time and take a test ride. Thanks.

Back