Experience with Tongsheng 36v 350w mid-drive kit anyone?

Somethig heppened to this thread - I was preparing to answer to EMGX when the whole page 3 dissapeared...
Anyway - Congratulations Mr. EMGX - you are about to join the very exclusive club of Dahon Briza TS equipped bikes. Current number of club members: 2 😀

Somethig heppened to this thread - I was preparing to answer to EMGX when the whole page 3 dissapeared...
Anyway - Congratulations Mr. EMGX - you are about to join the very exclusive club of Dahon Briza TS equipped bikes. Current number of club members: 2 😀
Sorry, that was on me. I messed up the post trying to edit images, lost some, so deleted it. We are probably the only two but for my wife it was the only solution to keep her biking that I could come up with. I probably would have given up on it if you hadn't been the ground breaker, your installation images were invaluable. If anyone becomes N=3 in the world be sure to post up and join this elite exclusive club!

Last edited:
You are right - TS battery display shows full until battery is almost half empty, and then starts rapid decline. The same goes for 36 and 48 V versions.
Hi, do you know 20-25% charge will be equivalent to how many bars?

Thomas, where did you source your khs smoothie? At some point I might want to get one for my wife but haven't found a source.

Did that but didn't come up with anything. My wife is next to impossible to please so she would really need to see the bike in person and ride it around at least a parking lot.
Where are you posting from?

Southwest Washington, near Portland. No local dealers per the KHS web site dealer locator, no online sellers that I found (probably not a great idea for me to buy sight unseen anyway).

Here is a picture of my wife's Briza with the TSDZ2 installed. This is at about 1100 feet, the river in the distance is about 50ft above sea level and there are significant up and downhill portions in between. I can make the ride up with the Tongsheng. To me the Tongsheng is as powerful and refined as the Yamaha PW-SE on my gravel bike and surprisingly quiet. I have the plastic gear. So far very pleased with the TS.

20201109_131951.jpg

So, after all the trouble, Briza is not good enough? 🤣
My wife is also pretty picky (suprize, suprize 😀), but she is generally happy with Briza, except that the center of gravity is a bit high, due to rack mounted battery. I really don't see any better place to put the battery on this bike.

So, after all the trouble, Briza is not good enough? 🤣
My wife is also pretty picky (suprize, suprize 😀), but she is generally happy with Briza, except that the center of gravity is a bit high, due to rack mounted battery. I really don't see any better place to put the battery on this bike.
She likes her Briza but also likes the idea of a feet down, pedal forward bike. She tried a Electra Townie but the step over height was more than she was comfortable with. The KHS Smoothie looks to have a similar pedal forward geometry but maybe a lower step over. If I found one I would have to decide which one to put the TS on, probably the KHS.

KHS Smoothie, Trek Pure, and Electra Townie are all "flat foot" frames. Looking around I found several but used bike prices are now over MSRP! WOW!

So my wife took her first ride on the TS assisted Briza and really liked it. She isn't a strong rider and has knee issues but did great on a 10 mile ride. FWIW the cheap Chinese 36v 15ah battery has just hit 36v (50%) in 42 miles installed on both the Briza and a Dahon Jack - that includes some very long steep climbs and run mostly on the two highest settings. I'm impressed, more importantly, so is my wife.

The Tongsheng is working great on my wife's Briza and is making it able for her to bike on some hilly routes that she couldn't without the assist. She's happy with the amount of assist it provides but I might order her the 48v 750w version because it is supposed to provide an extra 25% torque over the 36v 500w that she has (100nm peak vs
80)
From today's ride.
20201203_145025.jpg

Update:
My wife doesn't ride much but the TSDZ2 has been great for what she does ride including the hilly, closed to car traffic, portion of the Oregon's Historic Hwy 30 in the picture above. She decided that she would like a very low step over bike so I ordered a Biria Easy Boarding 7 for her. Haven't received the bike yet but I'm fairly certain that the bottom bracket to tire distance won't allow for the Tongsheng mid drive. Eventually I'll probably transfer a 500w geared rear hub motor from another bike to the Biria for her. She also wants me to remove the TSDZ2 from her Dahon Briza to lighten it up so she can more easily put it in the back of her small SUV.
I might transfer the Tongsheng to a Schwinn 700c hybrid bike that I've done some short tours on, just to see if I like it or not on that bike. For the sceptics out there, even though I won't hurry the installation, I'll time it.

This is the bike that I think I'll put the Tongsheng on. Depending on the resulting chainline I might try a dual chainring which would be nice to have, chainline permitting.

20190722_142021 (1).jpg

IMNSHO I think that rim brakes are not strong enough for a conversion, especially if you plan to ride in terrain like that.

IMNSHO I think that rim brakes are not strong enough for a conversion, especially if you plan to ride in terrain like that.
I have several first-gen 36V 350W BBSxx Motors. With rim brakes maintained and upgraded KoolStop eBike pads, I'm good to go and stop efficiently and safely. I sold off my BBSHD motors primarily because I wasn't safe at those tempting speeds of 30MPH plus.

I see that opinion a lot but it hasn't been my experience at all. I have bikes with rim brakes, mechanical discs and hydraulic discs. The Avid Elixir hydraulics on a non-assist bike take braking to another level vs the others but I haven't noticed much difference in braking power between the two bikes I have with mechanical discs and the rim brake bikes. They all work very well. Ebike vs non-assist is only a weight issue and I have toured with a fairly heavily loaded non-assist bike with rim brakes without an issue. Coasting the Schwinn in the picture above down that road hits 40+mph GPS even with periodic use of brakes to scrub off some speed - at that speed even with the bike with hydraulic discs (that I've ridden on the same road) tire traction is more important than the brakes themselves.
Here is an old Schwinn Sierra with rim brakes that I put a rear hub motor, coasting hit up to 45mph on a curving road - for miles - which wasn't optimal, disc vs rim brakes were the least of my concerns, the rim brakes worked fine when applied.

20210303_160729.jpg

Back